No rating

Ho'ala School

Private | K-12

Living in Wahiaw

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $360,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,030.

Posted November 9, 2013

At age 10 our daughter is excited about school and has come to value her education. She has become an introspective person who can act upon her feelings of empathy in the absence of coercion or self-centered conformity. Parent involvement in any school is vital to student success as well as to the success of the school community. We wish for every child and their family the opportunity of a Hoala education that has brightened every aspect of our daily lives and changed how we live in the world. The academics are updated and solid.

Posted September 2, 2013

This school is the best kept secret on Oahu. It doesn't look much from the inside, but what goes on inside, is amazing. At this school, the child not only learns all the academics, but he's also taught how to be the best person he can be. And he learns how to be part of a community. This is the second year for my son at Hoala, and he loves it so much he wants to stay there until the last possible moment. All the teachers know all the kids and all the kids know each other. The older kids help the younger kids. It's just a fantastic place. If you're looking for a school that nurtures your child and allows them to go at their own pace ( whether that's accelerated, or not ) this is the place. I have nothing but good things to say about Hoala.

Posted July 16, 2013

Ho'ala school offers a fantastic education in a nurturing, safe, small class environment. My daughter has attended this school since Kindergarten and she is starting her 4th grade year. The upper grade levels interact with the lower school and serve as mentors and role models- as reading buddies, with various school activities. At first I was concerned by the interaction with the upper school- however, that feeling dissipated quickly as I walked on campus and realized how encouraging and supportive the upper grades were of my daughter. The students are engaging, articulate, respectful, helpful and truly happy to be at school! My daughter never wants to leave school (even though she attends Hoala Plus after care program due to my long work hours). The teachers know my child's strengths and weaknesses; they work together to help her overcome challenges while building her self-confidence. Academically my daughter is excelling and I know that when we need to PCS she will transition without difficulty into her next school. My daughter is learning how to be an active citizen in school/community as well as developing the integrity and skills necessary for succeeding in life.

Posted June 18, 2013

Ho'ala School is like an amazing hole-in-the-wall restaurant; once you find it, you wonder where it's been your whole life. I am a Ho'ala alumni (1st grade thru 12th) and so grateful for all the opportunities the school gave me, tiny as it may be. Where else can you go to receive an education (that fully prepared me & took me through college graduation), and have amazing experiences with your whole school instead of just your class? Scuba certification as part of a Marine Science course? Did it. Community Service trips to learn the importance of giving back and how much a small school can impact a community? Ho'ala does that, and more. Students in combined classes are something of the future, and something I think is helpful; it teaches a child that they are part of a group, that everyone working together in a respectful and responsible manner equals more efficient, intelligent and patient children. The school's principal was a former Ho'ala teacher and former Ho'ala parent, which I think adds to the sense of community and the well-oiled machine that is Ho'ala. I am grateful to my parents for sending me to Ho'ala and I continue to carry the values of Ho'ala with me into adulthood.

Posted September 16, 2011

Ho`ala is truly a special place. It teaches everyone that is a part of the school the true meaning of responsibility. The character education that takes place at the school is something that can be transcended not only in your school career but in all future relationships that you have in life. It has taught me (a graduate and student since 1st grade) to be respectful of others and to put myself in others shoes before jumping to conclusions. Just an overall great place to receive more than just a college prep education!

Posted August 30, 2011

This is a FANTASTIC school. It is focused on developing the entire child and teaches to multiple intelligences. All you have to do is look at the high school students who have come through the program: they are confident, articulate, intelligent and creative. This is the best school on the island.

Posted July 18, 2011

There is no security in this school, no table to eat lunch, and no library. My son was eating on the ground every day out side! The class size was very small which is good but it is chaos inside. They combined multiple grades in one classroom! Some students were out of control! I'm glad to withdraw my son from this school!

Posted July 6, 2011

We love this school! Great academics, caring teachers, and wonderful learning activities outside the classroom. The art program is amazing to say the least. In reference to the previous post, yes no lunchroom, but picnic benches are very adequate for eating lunch. Classroom sharing allowed my child to move up a grade level in reading and math which other schools would not do. And bullying is NOT allowed, I should know because my son was being targeted at another school and nothing like that happened at Ho`ala. I've never seen students running around like animals, just the opposite in my opinion. My son loves going to school and is so happy!

Posted June 12, 2011

This School is a disgrace! No structure, not even a place for them to eat lunch. The kids are in control and run around like animals, a lot of bullying and disrespect among the students and it is not addressed by the staff. Small class size because they have a hard time finding students to attend, in fact they double up the grades. I was warned and I made the mistake of sending my kids to this school, biggest mistake I ever made.

Posted June 8, 2011

We love this school! My son has excelled socially and academically and the teachers are well qualified and nurturing. My son loves to go to school and doesn't want to come home at the end of the day. I had to sign him up for the after school care program just so he could get more "school time". I love that he loves school and learning, something that didn't happen at his previous school.

Posted December 21, 2010

My daughter has been attending Hoala for 3 years now and has blossomed as a well rounded,confident and self assured individual. The support of students on all levels is amazing. Kids learn T their own pace and are incouraged to excel and push the limits. Class sizes are small and enable one on one attention to each child. She wAnts to go school.

Posted April 19, 2010

Hoala School provides a supportive, nurturing environment that promotes mutual respect among studens, faculty, and families. These core values provide a positive learning environment for my kids (grades K and 3rd) who LOVE school and excell in both academic and social endeavors.

Posted November 19, 2008

I am a parent of 2. Ho'ala School has been a exceptional experience for our family. Our son was a Merit Scholar and a student his peers looked up to. Both of our children were prepared and eager for their college life to begin. Ho'ala is a school that not only educates, supports and nourishes the child but the entire family.

Posted July 15, 2008

We are a military family who found Ho'ala School to be a nurturing and loving environment for our children. Their individual academic needs were met and we were thrilled with our Ho'ala experience. We moved to northeast Mainland last year and our oldest was bored in Honors classes...he's even graduating a year early! Our younger children fit perfectly in a highly academic private school. Our whole family misses our Ho'ala family. As a mother of children who have attended schools from Europe to 3 Mainland states to Hawaii, I can confidently say that Ho'ala is a top notch school who truly follows character education philosophy. Your child will flourish!

Posted June 9, 2008

This school only meets the needs of students whose parents are on campus daily volunteering. If you are a working parent, forget about it, they will not value you or your child. Add second rate academics and you have a travisty of a school

Posted June 4, 2008

The best school ever! The well rounded curriculum and character education program has really helped my son excel. He loves this school!

Posted November 16, 2004

We have two kids attending Ho'ala school. Both of my children love going to school every day and they do not want to leave at the end of the day. I get earliy enough to pick up my kids after school, but they do not want to go home they want to stay at Ho'ala Plus (after school program) to do their homework, play and community services.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 34%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1067 California Avenue