Posted September 22, 2014
Ho ala School far exceeded our expectations. My daughter attended Ho ala School from K-4th grade. We recently underwent a military move to the mainland and my daughter started 5th grade, middle school, in a premier school district. We received her first progress report at her new school and she received all A s and a B. I then went to a parent/teacher conference and was told by the teachers that they don t know why I came in for a conference- She s doing GREAT! I explained our recent move and one teacher stated How can she possibly be doing so well coming from Hawaii? I nodded and explained that this is why I chose to send her to Ho ala School. Hoala's investment in each child's development and well-being has allowed my daughter to thrive at her new school! She was definitely well prepared and ahead of the curve for this huge middle school transition due to Hoala's emphasis on respect, responsibility, responsiveness and resourcefulness. Ho'ala's emphasis on character education enriches the WHOLE child! She was not only prepared academically but given life skills through their character education program that are tools she will take with her forever.

Posted November 09, 2013
At age 10 our daughter is excited about school and has come to value her education. She has become an introspective person who can act upon her feelings of empathy in the absence of coercion or self-centered conformity. Parent involvement in any school is vital to student success as well as to the success of the school community. We wish for every child and their family the opportunity of a Hoala education that has brightened every aspect of our daily lives and changed how we live in the world. The academics are updated and solid.

Posted September 02, 2013
This school is the best kept secret on Oahu. It doesn't look much from the inside, but what goes on inside, is amazing. At this school, the child not only learns all the academics, but he's also taught how to be the best person he can be. And he learns how to be part of a community. This is the second year for my son at Hoala, and he loves it so much he wants to stay there until the last possible moment. All the teachers know all the kids and all the kids know each other. The older kids help the younger kids. It's just a fantastic place. If you're looking for a school that nurtures your child and allows them to go at their own pace ( whether that's accelerated, or not ) this is the place. I have nothing but good things to say about Hoala.

Posted June 18, 2013
Ho'ala School is like an amazing hole-in-the-wall restaurant; once you find it, you wonder where it's been your whole life. I am a Ho'ala alumni (1st grade thru 12th) and so grateful for all the opportunities the school gave me, tiny as it may be. Where else can you go to receive an education (that fully prepared me & took me through college graduation), and have amazing experiences with your whole school instead of just your class? Scuba certification as part of a Marine Science course? Did it. Community Service trips to learn the importance of giving back and how much a small school can impact a community? Ho'ala does that, and more. Students in combined classes are something of the future, and something I think is helpful; it teaches a child that they are part of a group, that everyone working together in a respectful and responsible manner equals more efficient, intelligent and patient children. The school's principal was a former Ho'ala teacher and former Ho'ala parent, which I think adds to the sense of community and the well-oiled machine that is Ho'ala. I am grateful to my parents for sending me to Ho'ala and I continue to carry the values of Ho'ala with me into adulthood.

Posted September 16, 2011
Ho`ala is truly a special place. It teaches everyone that is a part of the school the true meaning of responsibility. The character education that takes place at the school is something that can be transcended not only in your school career but in all future relationships that you have in life. It has taught me (a graduate and student since 1st grade) to be respectful of others and to put myself in others shoes before jumping to conclusions. Just an overall great place to receive more than just a college prep education!

Posted August 30, 2011
This is a FANTASTIC school. It is focused on developing the entire child and teaches to multiple intelligences. All you have to do is look at the high school students who have come through the program: they are confident, articulate, intelligent and creative. This is the best school on the island.

Ho'ala School 1

Posted July 18, 2011
There is no security in this school, no table to eat lunch, and no library. My son was eating on the ground every day out side! The class size was very small which is good but it is chaos inside. They combined multiple grades in one classroom! Some students were out of control! I'm glad to withdraw my son from this school!

Posted July 06, 2011
We love this school! Great academics, caring teachers, and wonderful learning activities outside the classroom. The art program is amazing to say the least. In reference to the previous post, yes no lunchroom, but picnic benches are very adequate for eating lunch. Classroom sharing allowed my child to move up a grade level in reading and math which other schools would not do. And bullying is NOT allowed, I should know because my son was being targeted at another school and nothing like that happened at Ho`ala. I've never seen students running around like animals, just the opposite in my opinion. My son loves going to school and is so happy!

Ho'ala School 1

Posted June 12, 2011
This School is a disgrace! No structure, not even a place for them to eat lunch. The kids are in control and run around like animals, a lot of bullying and disrespect among the students and it is not addressed by the staff. Small class size because they have a hard time finding students to attend, in fact they double up the grades. I was warned and I made the mistake of sending my kids to this school, biggest mistake I ever made.

Posted June 08, 2011
We love this school! My son has excelled socially and academically and the teachers are well qualified and nurturing. My son loves to go to school and doesn't want to come home at the end of the day. I had to sign him up for the after school care program just so he could get more "school time". I love that he loves school and learning, something that didn't happen at his previous school.

Ho'ala School
1067 California Avenue, Wahiaw, HI  96786
Last modified Ho'ala School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Ho'ala School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews.