Major Sheldon Wheeler Middle School

Public | 6-8 & ungraded

Posted May 13, 2013

Some of the teachers have too much of an 'island' mentality and are very lax in giving instruction in the classroom. In addition, their principal has a very passive personality and doesnt require teachers to fully monitor their classrooms during class time. Students are left to teach themselves or depend on one another for project completion. Definitely not the typical teaching styles that are normally found in DoD schools; very disappointing and confirms why their overall test scores remain low for students. Wheeler is the lesser of the evils when it comes to Hawaii schools as their scores remain higher than others schools in the area but still well below the national average.

Posted May 1, 2012

Overall the school staff and administration is top notch. Very visible on the campus and at school activities and events. If you are a parent that is involved in your child's education then your child will do wonderfully well at this school. WMS offers a variety of sports, specialty groups and activities for students to get involved. Beautfiful campus which is amazing since the school is bursting at the seems with students.

Posted October 13, 2011

I was very worried about this middle school because I hadn't heard great things. This was the most wonderful middle school any of my children have been to. We have seven children and two of them attended this school while we were stationed in Hawaii. I felt like we were all part of the family or Ohana while we were there. The teachers really care about their students. They want them to succeed. They tailor their programs to appeal to the students and help them learn while they are having fun. The teachers were easy to get in touch with and they always kept me informed of what my children were doing. My son had teachers with Master's degrees in math. The teachers also took time out of their private after school schedules to come and support our children in their other activities. We are so sad that we had to leave and would not hesitate to recommend this school to others.

Posted November 24, 2010

Very poor parent/teacher communication. Teachers did not seem to care about the well being of my child. The teacher/student ratio was exceptionally high for middle schoolers. If your child didn't understand a lesson, then they just moved right along to the next lesson without caring if he received it or not. So basically if your child didn't get it, they had the" too bad" attitude. We decided to remove our child, and homeschool. His attitude is so much better. Very Poor school!!!

Posted July 5, 2010

My daughter was behind in school when we moved to Hawaii. The staff at Wheeler Middle school helped her to catch up with her peers. The local children were her best friends while she attended there 2006 and 2007. The hardest thing about leaving was she misses all her local friends. We are a military family and we loved Hawaii.

Posted April 12, 2010

This is my daughters 1st year at Wheeler Middle. What a great difference from her last school. Teachers keep me informed of her status. Weekly emails as well as phone calls. Has made the honor roll the past 2 qtrs. Admin staff does an awesome job keeping this school running as well as they have! Keep up the great work!!!

Posted November 29, 2009

This school is just awful. They do not do anything to stop the bullying. The teachers do not communicate with the parents and the school is just filthy. You can not even have a good conversation with the Principal

Posted July 3, 2009

I have attened Wheeler Middle School and This school is probibly one of the most intersting i have ever attended. There is character in that school that i cant describe with words. The Teachers are very helpful and really care. The students stick together when we go through rough patchs. I remember my friend was crying in the hallway and people we didnt even know were asking what was wrong, and they were comforting her. Wheeler has served as my 2nd home. This school has taught me to be more humble, to accept people for who they are, and how to stand up for myself (without the fighting) i am proud to say i was the President of Wheeler Middle for the year 2008-2009. For i would never trade these 2 years for anything
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 3, 2008

This school is one of a handful of schools that made AYP this year. The teachers care, I get weekly updates from the PCNC via email and a newsletter monthly. My daughters teachers are always willing to help and have an online grade checking system so I can always tell what my daughters grades are. It is a great school that has won awards this year and has a lot of pride

Posted May 28, 2008

my son currently attends this school. I have enjoyed the communication efforts the school has done. Through newsletters,emails, and occasionally calls upon request. The Principal @ this school is very professional and although we have never met personally, she smiles and greets you when she passes by. She is always outside on school grounds checking on the students and knows most of them by name. That in itself shows she cares.

Posted November 1, 2006

If this school is your only choice for your child, BE INVOLVED!!! The staff have to know that you care, or your child will fall through the cracks.

Posted March 1, 2006

I would like to offer a more positive opinion about Wheeler Middle School. I had a daughter go to 8th grade here (2002-03) and my son is currently in 6th grade. Beginning with the principal, who is wonderful with the students, parents and her staff, I have been favorably impressed with the quality of education my children have received. I have found that his teachers truly care about him and his academic progress. They have been available to conference with me if I've needed it. In response to some of the other parent reviews: parental involvement is low here; but not because of a lack of opportunity. Discipline problems exist, but usually come from a handful of students (usually the same ones). But, there are also great students here and the school also provides lots of positive reinforcement and rewards for good behavior.

Posted July 30, 2005

My two sons went to Wheeler as 6th and 7th graders. The school was quick to notify me when there was a fight, but not about their academic progress. My youngest son was in danger of failing and I received an 'oh well' attitude from the teachers. There is a lot of racism at the school also. The schools in Hawaii are very racist and the civilian attitudes are the same. 'We don't want you here'. I hated the time spent in Hawaii, thank God we are no longer there.

Posted September 16, 2004

The school needs work on all the fighting. My son has gone there for two years now and he really don't feel safe there. They have groups of kids who go around the school and harassing the other kids and they really don't do much to the kids who are doing this. I'll be glad when we my kids don't have to go to this school any more.

Posted November 11, 2003

Discipline was a weakness, the school bus system is lacking. But, my son's teachers seemed truly interested in his welfare and academic progress.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

328 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

307 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

262 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 29% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 47%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2 Wheeler Army Airfield