Sergeant Samuel K Solomon Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded

Posted September 8, 2014

Good luck getting any help with an IEP/504 plan. The principal will not only fight you on requesting one, but will not even know the difference between the two forms. My son is in second grade and is repeating the same curriculum as last year at the same school. His spelling words are 3-4 letter words, and there is no consistency with academia. I will be joining the growing population of homeschoolers due to the horrible conduct at this school. DO NOT expect any help with any of your special needs kids...especially if they have high-functioning autism. We were told "we don't do anything unless they are failing." They don't follow Section 504 rights, and will blame you for not doing enough for your child, even after you have repeatedly asked for the evaluation process. Teachers don't inform parents of expectations or all assignments, and the kids get punished regardless. Overall horrible communication between the school and parents, despite emails, calls, etc. Either get a geographical exception or homeschool: Hawaii is ridiculously lax on homeschool constraints: do your child a favor and teach them yourself!

Posted July 19, 2014

My son attended 4th grade here and it was a wonderful experience. He had two teachers that co-taught and both were excellent. They also had a couple of class helpers that were very encouraging and helpful, my son talked about a Mr. Ray a lot. Both had to take leave, one paternity and one maternity but because there were two they didn't skip a beat, and communicated through email with parents effectively. The teachers emphasized the right things appropriately, we came from a school in Kansas that I believe, over-emphasized SFA. On top of that, my son got to participate in Hawaiiana studies that included native fruits and vegetables they got to try every week, but songs, hula, and fieldtrips to a camp that taught the kids about being stewards of the land, and a taro farm. The principal is highly involved and grew up military so she understands our kids needs. I could go on and on. I would have to agree that SOME not all office staff could be friendlier, but you can't judge a whole school by that. Also there are two older men that serve as crossing guards and light security that are great and teach the older kids to perform these duties.

Posted February 11, 2013

HORRIBLE,RUDE,SELF-CENTERED OFFICE STAFF. M SON WENT HERE FOR 1 YEAR AND I WAS SO HAPPY WHEN THEY DID THE GEOGRAPICAL EXCEPTION AND NOW ATTENDS A REALLY AWSOME SCHOOL(HALE kULA)I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN OFFICE STAFF THIS RUDE AND IT GOES TO SHOW THE PRINCIPLE DONT EVEN CARE.I FEEL SORRY FOR ANYONE WHO HAS TO DEAL WITH THEM. HALE KULA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! SOLOMEN NOT!!!!!!!!!! MATTER OF FACT SOLOMEN DONT EVEN DESERVE A RATING OF ONE. ITS THE OFFICE STAFF THAT MAKES THEM HAVE BAD RATINGS

Posted August 28, 2012

My kids attended this awful school for way to long 3 years.You might get smaller class size but its cause most folks assigned to this school decide to homeschool instead of sending their kid to this school!This school has horrible staff that needs desperate training on manners & how to speak to parents.If have IEP/504, it gets worse.There's no team with IEPs at this school. It's more like school versus parents.Very few folks that are happy with this school have no IEP/504 so if you're one of the parents that will need IEP/504, get ready for major headaches w/ this school.Also research test scores & you will find the education is lacking.There's some nice teachers that work there but they can only do so much when told to teach a poor curriculum.Have met teachers & other staff on a personal level & some have said to me they've quit working there cause office staff tells them to advise parents that kid is doing well when is clearly not the case, that way the school can avoid extra costs on student."Local" teachers are given option to enroll their kid under a G.E. but refuse to enroll their own kid at this school!Nearby professionals &schools heard bad stories of this school themselves

Posted July 18, 2012

My daughter went to first grade here last year and will continue for a couple more years. The education here is phenomenal now. The teacher she had was absolutely wonderful and I am a university graduate and I can tell if my kids are gettting a good education or not. The classes are small and the teachers are motivating. My friends with kids on mainland the same age as my daughter are not as advanced as what she has been learning here, and yes I was skeptical when we moved here thinking the education was going to be horrible. Totally happy with this school, will always continue monitoring her education but so far so GOOD.

Posted November 1, 2010

Awful school. Should replace all office staff with people who enjoy working. Communication leaves much to be desired. Teachers on the other hand are alright.

Posted April 14, 2010

My daughter is at this school and has been for over a year. I won't say the school is bad because the entire education system here is behind unless you put your child in private school. This school is exemplary on within this islands education system. I monitor my child's learning there and supplement it so she won't be that far behind when we rtn to the mainland. If you can afford private school I would recommend it.

Posted January 24, 2010

This school is doing fine. They have a wonderful support system for the families of deployed soldiers and they support the troops. This is not a DOD school so it is different from what you may be use to but has a state run school, they offer classes for any state staff who aren't familiare with the military to get acquainted with the traditions and hardships that the families and especially the children have to deal with. Get involved if you are unhappy. Become a volunteer so you can see for yourself what goes on. There is no way you can leave a comment like that if you could see what goes on during the day. If you are that unhappy, maybe homeschooling your child/children is the way to go. It takes a village to raise a child not just an elementary school.

Posted January 22, 2010

My children have recieved a less than average education here! I am sad that being a school on an Army base, this is the best that they can do for our children. This is a total disservice to our troops who are risking their lives to have their children get such a poor education!! If I could put my children in another school, this would had been done by now!!! Poor teaching staff, poor administration and poor work ethics!!

Posted November 11, 2009

The school is fantastic! The teachers work with kids and parents equally. They set the kids up for success with a various programs available. My sons enjoyed their time at the school! A+++++ teachers!

Posted November 2, 2009

We have been to many schools and in my opinion this is the worst. The staff is unwilling to work with parents, communication skills are not there and people skills lack. They do not have children s best interest at heart and set them up for failure.(In my experiences)

Posted July 30, 2009

My daughter goes to this school and peoples opinion will vary. If your the kind of parent who nothing satisfies you then yeah this school will be a problem for you. I personally kept close contact with my daughters teacher, she even gave me her cell # and we also kept in contact by email. She did great and we didnt have any problems.

Posted July 30, 2009

Posted July 26, 2009

my child was enrolled at this school last year, that being her first year in that school. I was less than impressed with the education that she received. I was constantly told of her deficinecies, and worked with her at home, but never saw the testing to back it up.

Posted September 12, 2008

I really don't have any complaints about Solomon. My son is in 1st grade and he seems to enjoy it. The only down side is there is a lot of construction going on now, and a lot of the classes have to be relocated after they have already started getting used to being in the current class. THe teachers seem good for the most part.

Posted June 10, 2008

My grandchildren went here in grades K-2. We pcs this summer. While most of the teachers are great I would request someone you know is good (Major, Sonomura, Takaba for K, Ku, Stone, Kurisu for 1st, Koyamatsu and Lee for 2nd). Most teachers at Solomon are great, but a few bad apples. Students switch teachers for reading and in 1st and 2nd they do labs where they visit all the teachers for special lessons. This is how I got to know about so many teachers. My grandson loved labs and he learned so much in them. K has special activities too like art which my granddaughter enjoyed. I was nervous about all the switching (seems like too much) but it was a great experience for them both. Loved the principal. VP was arrogant and inconsistent, which is why I gave 4 instead of 5 stars.

Posted March 5, 2008

My son went to Kindergarten on Hickam AFB and we liked it a lot more than Solomon. I like most of the teachers - there needs to be more fun times for the younger children. I appreciate that they want them to excel but when you are 5, you need some fun, also. The principal has said some anti-military statements that have upset some of us and the vice-principal can't seem to remember anyone, even if they just had a meeting. The counseling program is excellent and like I said, I really like a lot of the staff.

Posted August 17, 2007

My son is attending Solomon for his third year now. The teachers and faculty have been excellent and have always pushed him to excel. We feel very lucky to have a staff that is so involved with the children and so considerate during times of deployments. I spoke with my son's teacher and principal today about my upcoming deployment and I felt great after leaving the school, knowing that they'd both be keeping an eye out for any changes in my son's behavior. I also feel comfortable knowing that many of the teaching staff are dealing with deployment-related seperations themselves, and can therefore relate to what my son will be experiencing. What is most important, in my opinion, is that my son feels very safe and very comfortable in his learning environment. He enjoys his school and even his homework. I think this speaks volumes.

Posted August 12, 2007

My children attended this school for three and a half years and we've had our ups and downs there. My children have been fortunate to have outstanding teachers -- Mr. Nacapuy being the cream of the crop. I have mixed opinions about the reading program. The reading program emphasizes speed over comprehension. I have had good dealings with the principal, but not the vice principal. The only involvement he has with the students is when they're in trouble. Also the disciplinary standards and punishments are inconsistent and often skewed. When a student goes to a teacher/supervisor repeatedly they need to step in and not expect the kids to know how to handle it. Mediation should be initiated at this school.

Posted May 31, 2007

My daughters started going to Solomon in July 06. I must say I was very disappointed. The office staff was horrible, and the parent volunteer program was depressing. However, as the year continued I saw a small change in a better direction. The school seems to want to progress. By the end of the school year my children enjoyed thier school, and I appreciated thier teachers. I do however feel that they they need a more challenging curriculum. They need to push other subjects a little harder. They should have a music or art. Everything seems rushed. They should be in school later everyday like some of the private schools. Then maybe they won't be so pressed for time. We are moving on to a school in Kapolei, and I never thought I would say this but I will miss some of the staff at Solomon. I wish them luck.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 56%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2875 Waianae Uka Avenue