Helemano Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded

Posted March 24, 2013

My children have attended this school for two years, and one more before we move. As a military family, I'm conscious of the academics and environment as we move frequently and have to accept which ever school our housing falls into. I've been pleased both years now. My oldest started 3rd grade at Helemano and the teacher was very understanding of our transient life, and my desire to maintain education levels to transfer back to VA schools. The teachers encourage him/her to excel and push oneself to achieve more. I feel if a parent is willing to be involved and encourage the child to do well the outcome is better received. If you set lower expectations, or none at all, then don't expect much from your child regardless of the school. My other child attended Helemano as a Pre-K parent participation program (we didn't qualify for the regular pre-k/headstart). It was a great beginning school experience. They also offered a wonderful summer kinder-prep program. The kindergarten year has been a great experience, the staff is welcoming to students and parents. I volunteer in the classroom weekly as a teacher's aide and see progress in all the student's academics and social behaviors.

Posted May 22, 2012

Dont like this school. staffs are rude and my kid's teacher 1st year teaching, due to her lack of experience my son wasted his whole k year. for sure not a military friendly school. My older child got injured by one of his/her classmate and was bullied the whole year but no teacher, principal not even vice principal cared. Its so sad. I dont recommend this school. we re actaully moving so that my kids doesnt suffer next school yr

Posted April 14, 2012

I have to say Helemano more then exceeded my expectations. The entire staff is very welcoming. Excellent leadership and teachers. If you ever have a concern or a problem they are more then willing to help resolve it. They welcome parent involvement. I highly recommend Helemano to any parent.

Posted June 16, 2009

Being in the military, we came to Helemano School with so much apprehension, mainly coming from other military family who came to Hawaii and experiencing 'culture shock'. I could say that through my own personal experience that I am fortunate to have my child attend this school. The administration and staff are excellent. There is a mixture of students both military and civilians. The school staff work together to provide a safe learning environment for its students. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted July 21, 2008

wonderful and caring staff.

Posted July 11, 2008

My child is attending this school since kindergarten. I'm impressed with the teachers. They are caring and supportive. My daughter enjoys going to school. The administration has addressed any concerns I've had quickly. The gals in the office are always smiling.

Posted April 14, 2006

I realy like this school My kids are lerning so much the teachers are wonderful they encourage my kids to want to learn they have a very good reading program because of this school my kids love to read. We have been at this school for 2 years and we are sad that we have to move to the main land Parking, droping off or picking up is difficul but they are looking for ways to improve. over all this is good school.

Posted December 18, 2005

My child attended this school from k-5 and I feel that he got a quality education and benifited from the many extra curricular activities provided.I wish Helemano went up to 12th grade because if it did he would still be there.The teachers are very caring and nuturing and the administration does and excellent job with what little they have.Thanks to Helemano my child took and passed the test for a very prestigous private school and is currently enrolled there.

Posted December 14, 2005

I like this school because it has allowed me to work around and with kids of all ages, race. I have found it a priveledge to become a part of the staff, working as a Adult Yard supervisior. The income has been a blessing for my family. The teachers have been very understanding,and helpful. The principle has been easy to work with and help me to resolve problems when I felt that my kids were being treated unfairly. Helemano has taught me alot about the Hawaiian,Japanese and other cultures.I have learned to appreciate many different kinds of foods, new languages and religions.The school is fairly small in size, which I like, because it makes it more of a safe school.I have enjoyed the Fun Run's and also the traditional, May Day.I have enjoyed this school and would recommend it to other families.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted July 27, 2005

I absolutely hate this school. The only reason we attend here is lack of option. They want parents to be involved but the lack of parking make it hard. Academic is mediocre at best. There is no parking to pick your child up from school. There is no drop off or pick up place.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 46% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A49%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1001 IhiIhi Ave