Bad
Good

I hear awesome reviews so how do you get your child into Kawaihona? It seems they make it defficult for the outside with offering openings to staff and families first. If it is a public school why that procedure?

As a parent of two students that attend Ka Waihona, I feel I am blessed that my children are taught by highly capable teachers (as many have master's in education) and are taught not only the state standards, but Hawaiian culture and values as well. That is a necessity in this day and age. Although the parent below me has only negative things to say, I believe if you are a negative person, only negativity can come to you. Despite what that person says, I truly believe that if you ask, the vast majority of parents whose children attend Ka Waihona will say that they are satisfied with the level of academics, the incorporation of Hawaiian Culture in the curriculum, the beautiful hula ho'ike, the kumu, and the school itself. Remember, we parents have CHOSEN to send our children to this school and if at any time we are unsatisfied with it, we can CHOOSE to take them out. So just the fact that parents don't frquently remove their children from the school for that purpose is already a testament to how well the school services us.

This school needs new administration. My first impression of this school was positive until I experienced various negative experiences time and again. There are a couple of teachers who are bullies and they are ALLOWED to be bullies to the students and to other colleagues. I discovered that the Principal himself engages in gossip about his staff, the students, and the parents and even heard him mention personal/embarrassing things in front of his staff. They teach Hawaiian Core Values, but they don't live by them. Their overall intentions are good, but the few rotten apples that work there spoils the entire bunch. So kaumaha!

Ka Waihona o ka Na'auao is an amazing place to teach. From the administration (under the amazing leadership of Mr. Alvin Parker) to the teachers to the EA's and maintenance, I am truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to participate in such an amazing 'ohana. This school is above and beyond any public school in Hawaii. It is a privilege to be a teacher at this school.

Ka Waihona o Ka Naauao is a school of excellence! The administration team works hard to provide for the children academically and for them to achieve individual success. Mr. Alvin Parker is an approachable leader/principal and I believe that is why all the children know and love him. I am proud that my child attends this school as he will not only grow academically but also learn about our Hawaiian culture. Ka Waihona has made it a point to ho'omau (perpetuate) our Hawaiian culture by teaching the children the language, songs, history, and values. Plus, I was told that the children's curriculum is comparable to Kamehameha Schools. To me, that's great news!!!

Aloha, as a parent on the Leeward side I highly recommend Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao charter school to learn and achieve the measurements of Life to your child. The faculty and Mr. Parker makes it a priority to be involved. By heart, mind, body & sole, my child has developed a tremendous growth academically, physically & emotionally in the past 2 years. The teachers of all grades are familiar with all the students through the arts of their historic teachings, protocols, physical Arts, Education and Ohana Night. Ohana Night events offers parents the opportunity to do hands on tasks with their child and siblings. I have learned important measures of learning strategies, in growing healthy and strong. Today, I know my family's tradition will continue to grow efficiently & prosperously. Mahalo Nui Loa, Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao. ~Laulima~

Last modified Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao - New Century Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.