PK-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
Waianae, HI

Posted June 10, 2013
I hear awesome reviews so how do you get your child into Kawaihona? It seems they make it defficult for the outside with offering openings to staff and families first. If it is a public school why that procedure?

Posted June 28, 2011
As a parent of two students that attend Ka Waihona, I feel I am blessed that my children are taught by highly capable teachers (as many have master's in education) and are taught not only the state standards, but Hawaiian culture and values as well. That is a necessity in this day and age. Although the parent below me has only negative things to say, I believe if you are a negative person, only negativity can come to you. Despite what that person says, I truly believe that if you ask, the vast majority of parents whose children attend Ka Waihona will say that they are satisfied with the level of academics, the incorporation of Hawaiian Culture in the curriculum, the beautiful hula ho'ike, the kumu, and the school itself. Remember, we parents have CHOSEN to send our children to this school and if at any time we are unsatisfied with it, we can CHOOSE to take them out. So just the fact that parents don't frquently remove their children from the school for that purpose is already a testament to how well the school services us.

Posted December 23, 2010
This school needs new administration. My first impression of this school was positive until I experienced various negative experiences time and again. There are a couple of teachers who are bullies and they are ALLOWED to be bullies to the students and to other colleagues. I discovered that the Principal himself engages in gossip about his staff, the students, and the parents and even heard him mention personal/embarrassing things in front of his staff. They teach Hawaiian Core Values, but they don't live by them. Their overall intentions are good, but the few rotten apples that work there spoils the entire bunch. So kaumaha!

Posted July 29, 2008

Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao - New Century Public Charter School 0

Posted May 14, 2008
Ka Waihona o ka Na'auao is an amazing place to teach. From the administration (under the amazing leadership of Mr. Alvin Parker) to the teachers to the EA's and maintenance, I am truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to participate in such an amazing 'ohana. This school is above and beyond any public school in Hawaii. It is a privilege to be a teacher at this school.

Posted April 03, 2007
Ka Waihona o Ka Naauao is a school of excellence! The administration team works hard to provide for the children academically and for them to achieve individual success. Mr. Alvin Parker is an approachable leader/principal and I believe that is why all the children know and love him. I am proud that my child attends this school as he will not only grow academically but also learn about our Hawaiian culture. Ka Waihona has made it a point to ho'omau (perpetuate) our Hawaiian culture by teaching the children the language, songs, history, and values. Plus, I was told that the children's curriculum is comparable to Kamehameha Schools. To me, that's great news!!!

Posted November 01, 2006
Aloha, as a parent on the Leeward side I highly recommend Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao charter school to learn and achieve the measurements of Life to your child. The faculty and Mr. Parker makes it a priority to be involved. By heart, mind, body & sole, my child has developed a tremendous growth academically, physically & emotionally in the past 2 years. The teachers of all grades are familiar with all the students through the arts of their historic teachings, protocols, physical Arts, Education and Ohana Night. Ohana Night events offers parents the opportunity to do hands on tasks with their child and siblings. I have learned important measures of learning strategies, in growing healthy and strong. Today, I know my family's tradition will continue to grow efficiently & prosperously. Mahalo Nui Loa, Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao. ~Laulima~

Posted April 08, 2006
The teachers are highly skilled and work hard to bring out the best in each child. The principal is a strong part of the success and growth of the school. Everyone knows you by name. Mr. Parker is a great example of a leader .All the staff have a heart for your children and are there to guide and push them to be the best and putting in more to where your child may need more attention with. Thank you for bringing out the best in my children and giving them the encouragement and confidence they need suceed and to be proud of all their achievements. I am thankful for all the staff and their leader having such a great part in my children's lives. A memory which will be forever cherished in our family! Mahalo Ka Waihona o Ka Na'auao PCS. Melody Abellanida

Posted May 11, 2005
Ka Waihona's growth in students reflects the importance of the community's values in its culture. Teachers are fabulous, and the Principal knows all the student's names - he has a huge heart full of aloha! I highly recommend any parent to enroll their child(ren) in this charter school. The regular public schools don't seem to measure up academically. Parent involvement makes all the difference, and it doesn't matter where you live on the island, you can enroll your child here. It's worth the traffic!

Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao - New Century Public Charter School
89195 Farrington Hwy, Waianae, HI  96792
Last modified Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao - New Century Public Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ka Waihona O Ka Naauao - New Century Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top