Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)

Hawaii Technology Academy
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 24, 2016
THIS SCHOOL IS AMAZING!! The only negative reviews have to be from people who didn't attend but couldn't get in as this school is always maxed capacity! So you need to ENROLL EARLY!! This school Exceeds across the board!

Posted February 24, 2016
I am blown away that there would be any negative reviews on this school!! This SCHOOL IS AMAZING! I can never brag enough on it!! I don't know what I would do if we had not found this school! Being military and moving to find great schools the stress. Especially, here on Oahu where the school system as everyone who lives here or comes here to live is not great. This school meets beyond standards. My son is currently in 9th grade and attended 8th grade. What sets this school apart isn't just the great teachers..the learning..material..the care..it's what's offered with blended learning! The anti bullying which is REAL in this school! Kids can be themselves no matter what. Honestly moving all over with 2 kids in school I can tell you that does not exist in this day and age! So if you are looking for a wonderful school not just to excel your child and give them a wonderful education but to not have stress or worry about bullying and what they might pick up while learning this school is for you! Again I can't speak enough great things on this school!! WE LOVE HTA!!

Hawaii Technology Academy 2

Posted September 12, 2015
To be honest...my daughter had always gone to private school previous to this year. She is in 10th grade and even she isn't impressed with the teachers or the material taught. She says her math teacher does a great job of teaching. But her English teacher only assigns vocab tests and some poetry blog assessment each week. Which isn't challenging. The Spanish teacher doesn't take the time to slow down to make sure the kids even understand what she's teaching. She has found that most of the time what the teachers teach is in no way connected to the online curriculum. And even the teachers professional attitudes are very lax. She has witnessed them cussing in front of students and then laughing about it. This is all coming from my 15 year old. I was told that material would be challenging because it was "blended" program. I have not found that to bet he case. It's really too easy and my daughter has told me she was afraid she wouldn't be up to par next year if she went back to private school. The traffic is horrible and the neighborhood surrounding the building isn't the safest. And no the staff doesn't communicate very well via email. I won't be re-enrolling her for next year.

Hawaii Technology Academy 2

Posted November 21, 2014
This year 2014/2015 the HTA program went down hill .the school year started off with no materials being shipped or they showed up after the school year had already started. It was totally disorganized. HTA has taken away all freedom from the student and parents to work at their own pace. You must now follow what a teacher wants you to do. This really stunts the gifted child's growth. This program sold itself on being student needs based, not teacher base. HTA has also made online classes mandatory. Before, they were optional. Now even if your child is not needing the help, they are forced ,by the teacher, to attend a class. You use to be allowed to decided if you want to attend the HTA learning center day, now that too is mandatory. this tends to lead to a problem for gifted children. The traffic on that way one street is awful. its only a matter of time before someone get really hurt. Instead of keeping high goals for children, they have dumb down the program to fit more children to get more money. For a school with technology in the name you would think they offered a computer class, but not, they offer nothing in the way of technology base classes.

Posted November 05, 2014
My kids have been enrolled from 2011-2015, from K- 4th. The curriculum is on par or better than mainland schools. There are electives available to students that were not at our local school. Art and music is available for all grades and foreign languages from 3rd grade up. HTA also offers many clubs via the school including hula, robotics, even a Lego club. I really like that my kids are getting what they need at a pace that we can control. If we need to stop and go over something again, it is okay. On the other hand, if we find something we can go through quickly we can move on. It can be challenging to get started with HTA, but it is worth the time and effort. The teachers know who you and who your family are. They are genuinely concerned for your child's success no matter what level they are. There is a personal relationship there that we did not have at our local school.

Posted April 29, 2014
My children have just been approved for enrollment in to this school, WE ARE ALL REALLY EXCITED!!!! We have friends NOW that attend Hawaii Technology Academy, THIS is one HUGE reason why I want my children attending this academy. The progress and levels that they are at, it is just something that we want as well. I can see that our friends' children are WELL beyond where they should be academically, I can see where the regular brick and mortar has fell short for them, I feel the same is happening to my children. If they "get it" and some in the class do not, it has left my children stagnant waiting around for the others to "get it". I would like to give a review about HOW the school is, but my children have not yet had the opportunity to attend a scheduled day. From the overall experience and feelings I left with on the day we went for our 'Meet and Greet' I feel VERY confident that my children are going to do VERY well there.

Hawaii Technology Academy 1

Posted February 18, 2014
These are all FAKE reviews posted by the curriculum company K12. The teachers don't communicate well and the administration is pompous and condescending. The worst one of all is the Executive Director who has an arrogance about her and her private school mentality. If you are not RICH and DON'T work your kids CANNOT ATTEND this school, you need to be home with them. It was better years ago with more electives and more support. It is STATE FUNDED HOMESCHOOL!!!! As far as the curriculum and the company that provides it check out what has been happening with them lately, class action lawsuit after lawsuit for taking public dollars.

Posted January 28, 2014
HTA has a great curriculum, and for students who are self- directed, it is an ideal program, where you can work at your own pace within the course of the school year. You are lent a Macbook , textbooks and supplies for science, and have access to a full curriculum, with electives available. My daughter completed 5th grade with HTA on Kauai, and she learned so much in that year! She decided she wanted to attend a traditional school after that because she missed the interaction with peers; when she was tested at her new school, she was placed in the grades above hers in Math and English. The only caveats are that the office and administration were very disorganized, not easy to get in touch with, and there was little to no support here on our island. However, if you are a supportive parent and a motivated student, you can guide this yourself and have a great education.

Hawaii Technology Academy 4

Posted January 01, 2014
My son is in his second year with HTA and we love it. It's like a online Montessori school, only better. The online assessments are top notch, requiring comprehension and mastery, and the course work is above par on many levels. The best part is the one on one attention my son gets from me as his learning coach. There are no other kids vying for the teachers attention, and no jokers distracting my son and disrupting class. It also gives me instant notification as to which parts of the class my son may need more direct scaffold the lesson plan to attain his zone of proximal development. In laymen's terms, it gives me an instant snapshot of where he is academically, everyday, and allows me to cater to his strengths and bolster his weaker areas with more direct instruction. The best part about this school is it enables us to take time off when we want to for extra curricular activities. I advise anyone who has the ability and the willingness to check into an online homeschool blended school like HTA because it is like getting your kid back after a long stint in the confines and mediocrity of the so-so public school system. Thank you for your time.

Posted December 31, 2013
My two high-schoolers love school and their teachers once again...how great is that?! After hearing how much they hated their other public school and several teachers "profiling" them, I had to try something new! This has been a very good decision for this very satisfied parent and educator. The beginning of the year was a bit crazy; but, the administrators ARE listening and making great changes! I can't say enough about the teachers, they REALLY show an interest in the students and offer many opportunities for tutoring. Strongly recommend!

Hawaii Technology Academy
94-810 Moloalo Street, 2nd Floor, Waipahu, HI  96797
Last modified Hawaii Technology Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.