Bad
Good

Develops character: Neutral

I do not wish to make a comment about this at this time. Thank you.

My son has had issue's going to the restroom and getting a drink. He comes home all the time almost wetting his pants (and has a couple of times) and really thirsty, sometimes dehydrated. He says he's not aloud to get drinks or use the restroom when he asks. That is a problem for me.

Andrus is unique in many ways. It has one of the two "Gifted & Talented" self-contained programs in the West Ada school district. It also has an incredible "special needs" program. Andrus is also one of the few schools in the district to offer orchestra (4th & 5th grade). The teachers are overall exceptional. They genuinely care and want to be there. The administration has had some turn-over the past 4 years but, things seem to still be running smoothly. The best thing about Andrus? THE MUSIC PROGRAM is extraordinary. Included in the music program is the opportunity for the kids to join an "honor choir" (4th & 5th grades). The honor choir sings at multiple city wide events including at The Christmas Tree Lightning Ceremony at the Capitol Building. It is a very unique opportunity. Is the parking lot too small and a complete mess especially after school? Absolutely. Would I still suggest you send your kids to Andrus despite the parking debacle? Most certainly.

Andrus is a great school and has really been great for both of my children

Clickish for sure... Teachers have the same perception. Excellent PTO. Excellent after school programs and activities.

Nothing but positive things to say about our dear school!! My son started in private school for pre-school and I was hesitant to put him in public. I am so thankful we live in this district because the school is incredible! It's small enough that it doesn't feel over-crowded, and yet there is still some decent diversity. I have really enjoyed every one of his 3 teachers so far and have been really pleased with their involvement.

My son was in the 5th grade fully contained GT program. I was extremely happy with his teacher. Initially, he struggled with the add'l responsibility, work load and was held accountable. This was the first year his intellect was truly challenged. He was used to sailing through without having to work hard. He had as many lessons in accountability, work ethics, and holding himself to a high standard as he did in math, english, and literature. His teacher was a fair, but tough task master with no tolerance for excuses. The kids all respected and loved him. So did the parents. My only issue was the amount of homework. I felt it was too much. My son learned to work hard and was very proud of his achievements at the end of the year. I would highly recommend this school, homework and all. I also had a 1st grader here and his teacher was very involved in working with him to build his esteem and focus. He is a much more physical learner then his brother and needs a completely different learning style. She worked closely with me to build a program that worked best for him. I absolutely LOVED the first grade reading, writing program. It is very comprehensive.

Teachers and administration for this school are by far the best in the area. So many wonderful programs available to the students- honor choir, orchestra, clubs, challenge classes. The teachers are so dedicated to providing a safe and positive learning environment for the students. There is a high level of parent participation which adds to the dynamic environment. My children have attended for 3 years and love their school and their school experience. I have nothing but positive things to say about this school and it's commitment to the child's educational success and personal opportunity for growth.

We moved out of state and attended this school. What a gem. From the top down we had an excellent experience. Only wish we could have stayed, don't walk, run to this school.

I havent seen the love and logic approach yet. Bully's and victims are treated equally here. It is an extremly clickish type of enviornment at this school, and if one doesnt conform to their beliefs your child will be labled and this stigma will stay for the remainder of the time your child goes to this school.

Last modified Cecil D Andrus Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.