Bad
Good

Posted June 22, 2014
This school has a stupid uniform policy. Drug use is rampant. The teachers have a watered-down curriculum that caters to getting the most passed. Disappointing. My son's final exam in science was to write a letter to to new students the following year. No scientific content at all. Just a this what to expect from the course.

Posted April 29, 2014
I have been very disappointed with South since the day my child started. First with the unnecessary uniform policy. They are tacky and do not promote anything other than teaching our children to be sheep. Oh wait, all the purple, green and orange haired kids aren't sheep. So what are they trying to do with their uniform policy? Make everyone look like Larry Gebhert? There is a dress code available in Boise School District that they seem to be too lazy to enforce. Their lack of commitment to providing services to children who are at the upper end of the learning scale is reprehensible. If you aren't failing or causing trouble and if your grades are are passing then nope, you get nothing, no enrichment, just boring memorization. Doesn't matter if you were in a full time GATE program, all that has gone to waste. There is no high bar for achievers. There are no in depth research projects, there is just pass this automated test. I wish my child didn't have to go there. I tried to enroll them at other schools but was unable to do so as they were all full or cost prohibitive. If you are looking for a good school, South is not it.

South Junior High School 4

Posted March 19, 2014
I was so impressed with the enthusiasm of my child's teachers and how much they enjoyed their jobs and their students

South Junior High School 4

Posted March 03, 2014
I have two honors students that have gone through South (my youngest is now in 9th grade). They have both had an education that has prepared them to have test scores in the 95+% and strong grades. The environment has been safe and friendly. Staff is wonderful, principal is great. The school is knocked for being more "rough" but we've liked the diversity. There are opportunities to shine and I don't feel my kids have been held back. My oldest is now at Borah and has just as many AP classes to choose from as at Boise high but she has smaller class sizes which I appreciate. I loved having uniforms at South and wish that we still had this at Borah. The music and sports opportunities at South are strong. Overall, I have been really happy with South and wish the school didn't have such a bad rap. If more bench area families enrolled their kids at South instead of putting them in charter schools or open enrolling to other junior high schools, I think the overall test scores would be higher.

South Junior High School 5

Posted March 03, 2014
South is a great junior high. I love the new building and school uniforms. Teachers are involved and helpful. Great librarian and band teacher! Lots of technology--beautiful auditorium. Great principal.

Posted January 06, 2011
The star above says it all. Definetly one of the worst schools in Boise. Thank You.

South Junior High School

Posted November 21, 2004
I love our school. The communication line between parents and teachers are awesome. I have a gripe about our 7th grade boys lightweight Championship football game. The opposing team Fairmont took our boys Championship away from them by using teammembers from their other football teams (older and larger) to win. It was not the same team and nothing was done about it. There is a reason at the beginning of the season to seperate the lightweights from the heavyweights and seperate the older kids from the younger kids. That reason being safety and fairness. It should have been upheld throughout the season to the end. Our young men worked hard and deserved a fair shot at the Championship. Its not enough to say ' if Fairmont can live with what they did (cheat to win), so be it.

South Junior High School
3101 Cassia St, Boise, ID  83705
Last modified South Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.