Bad
Good

Wonderful first year experience with South Junior High. My daughter loves going to school. The uniforms are not an issue with us. Makes it easy to get ready for the day. Very impressed with the teachers and staff in how welcoming and encouraging they are towards new 7th graders.

This school has a stupid uniform policy. Drug use is rampant. The teachers have a watered-down curriculum that caters to getting the most passed. Disappointing. My son's final exam in science was to write a letter to to new students the following year. No scientific content at all. Just a this what to expect from the course.

I have been very disappointed with South since the day my child started. First with the unnecessary uniform policy. They are tacky and do not promote anything other than teaching our children to be sheep. Oh wait, all the purple, green and orange haired kids aren't sheep. So what are they trying to do with their uniform policy? Make everyone look like Larry Gebhert? There is a dress code available in Boise School District that they seem to be too lazy to enforce. Their lack of commitment to providing services to children who are at the upper end of the learning scale is reprehensible. If you aren't failing or causing trouble and if your grades are are passing then nope, you get nothing, no enrichment, just boring memorization. Doesn't matter if you were in a full time GATE program, all that has gone to waste. There is no high bar for achievers. There are no in depth research projects, there is just pass this automated test. I wish my child didn't have to go there. I tried to enroll them at other schools but was unable to do so as they were all full or cost prohibitive. If you are looking for a good school, South is not it.

I was so impressed with the enthusiasm of my child's teachers and how much they enjoyed their jobs and their students

I have two honors students that have gone through South (my youngest is now in 9th grade). They have both had an education that has prepared them to have test scores in the 95+% and strong grades. The environment has been safe and friendly. Staff is wonderful, principal is great. The school is knocked for being more "rough" but we've liked the diversity. There are opportunities to shine and I don't feel my kids have been held back. My oldest is now at Borah and has just as many AP classes to choose from as at Boise high but she has smaller class sizes which I appreciate. I loved having uniforms at South and wish that we still had this at Borah. The music and sports opportunities at South are strong. Overall, I have been really happy with South and wish the school didn't have such a bad rap. If more bench area families enrolled their kids at South instead of putting them in charter schools or open enrolling to other junior high schools, I think the overall test scores would be higher.

South is a great junior high. I love the new building and school uniforms. Teachers are involved and helpful. Great librarian and band teacher! Lots of technology--beautiful auditorium. Great principal.

The star above says it all. Definetly one of the worst schools in Boise. Thank You.

Last modified South Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.