Heritage Community Charter School

Charter | K-8

Living in Caldwell

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $80,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $600.

Posted August 23, 2014

Heritage Community Charter School has been such a great school for my children. We LOVE the teachers, the principal, and the environment and beliefs of the school. I'm a Christian, and appreciate the higher ground this school presses towards: Excellence.

Posted August 21, 2014

My kid attended this school for 3 years. The first year he had a good year. The next two years were horrible. It seems after the whole accreditation issues, things just seemed to go down hill and more disruptive children were being accepted. If your child is not subjected to bullying then you wouldn't ever experience the other side of how things are handled at this school. Continuing to allow children that are hostile with other students to be present in class isn't conducive to the learning environment. You have students that are great until they are intimidated by bullies. Then things just become nonsense. Like I said earlier, if your kid is not being bullied, then you have no problems and the school is great. But if your kid is unfortunate to fall prey to a bully, then things are more difficult and you witness the craziness of how things are truly handled. Not happy. We transferred our kid to a better school.

Posted April 29, 2014

We love Heritage. We love the overall attitude of the school. There is a different core characteristic the kids are taught about each month and encouraged to work on. We like the curriculum and feel like our children are getting a wonderful education. The lunch has a lot of healthy options. We hope the fundraisers this year to complete the library will be a success.

Posted April 29, 2014

HCCS is by far an excellent school. My daughter was forgeting Her spanish and now she reads and will help translate at times. I am so impressed at how well she can read both in spanish And english. The teachers definitely work with you to help Your child when she's having trouble with school work. I definitely recommend this school.

Posted April 24, 2014

A great school that emphasis classical education using the core knowledge sequence with an emphasis in dual language spanish immersion to increase fluency in a second language. The teachers truly care about each individual student and strive to provide a great classical education. The teachers often volunteer their time after school to work with students who are struggling and to volunteer to support a sports program that middle school students can participate in. My student absolutely loves the Latin and logic programs in the middle school grades. I also love that it is a safe environment for my child to blossom with no tolerance for bullying. They also have a wonderful core characteristics program that focus on many of the values of society that are lost in todays public education such as integrity, perseverance and friendship. This is a great school of choice option for students K-8. I only wish that it was available K-12th grades.

Posted April 10, 2014

I am so impressed with what my two children have been able to learn in this school. I absolutely love to hear my kindergartner read to me in Spanish, her accent is incredible. My children have only attended this school so I don't have others to compare it to but I have been very impressed with the teachers.

Posted April 8, 2014

I choose to send my kids there because of their commitment to excellence in a dual language setting. My daughters speak Spanish at home to one another and enjoy attending school on a daily basis. My son has been immersed in Latin and has shown vast improvement in his reading comprehension, which I attribute to his Latin studies. The principal is an effective leader and the teachers are trained in dual instruction and have superior knowledge of the implementation of the Common Core State Standards. The support staff is friendly and considerate and most are bilingual and support the dual language environment. The school has room for improvement, as all do, however there is a mission and vision for the school and they have SMART short and long term goals for the school and its' families. The Parent Teacher Student Organization is active in the support of all students within the school. This group of volunteers is critical to the structure of all the "extras" a school needs to be successful: fundraising, classroom support, uniform support, family nights and the general and acceptance of all families at HCCS. I would recommend this school to families who are looking for GREATNESS!

Posted April 7, 2014

Heritage Community Charter School is such an excellent school! My daughter graduated from there last year and is now attending a regular public high school. She has commented that she was very well prepared for high school and often feels ahead of other students. The Latin classes she took at Heritage have helped her linguistically to better understand English as a language. My youngest son is in kindergarten and has enjoyed learning Spanish this year along with reading, writing geography etc. What a huge blessing a second language will be in his life! The teachers are very caring and seem to be teaching because they love it! The school environment is friendly and inviting; and I was going to say especially the office staff and Principal, but everyone I've interacted with there has been helpful and nice. I love my kids learning at this school! Best one ever! The school struggled its first year but has made huge leaps and bounds under the new principal and is definitely on the right track and ahead of the game! I think that the only thing that would improve the school is more parent involvement, but I think that will come with time.

Posted December 12, 2013

HCCS is a truly remarkable school. The conversations I have with my child astound me. My kindergartner is able to discuss historical events with detail, explain various parts of grammar and share his newly forming Spanish vocabulary, just to name a few. He is also learning what it means to be a person of character through the monthly CORE characteristic lessons. His older cousins have made enormous progress since enrolling at HCCS. The teachers truly care about each child and strive to help them succeed. The office staff and administration have always been helpful, friendly and reliable. I am thankful for this amazing educational opportunity for my children.

Posted December 12, 2013

I have two children at HCCS. They are both in the dual language immersion program, and they both love the exciting and stimulating work they are able to do in the classroom. I love that they are challenged in math and reading, learning to think about the world around them and their important role in it, and learning to be responsible and compassionate citizens. We left another school due to our dissatisfaction with the low academic and behavior expectations; we found what we were looking for at HCCS. Although the first year presented many challenges with opening a new school, my children always feel safe, confident and respected. My daughter has had two small challenges with classmates; by the time I heard about the issues after school they had already been addressed and my child felt safe and happy. I think the school's emphasis on integrity, empathy and mutual respect have helped both of my children interact with and appreciate their peers. The icing on the cake is the strong connection to history and classical literature! I love that they discuss Mesopotamia, Julius Caesar, the Constitution, the greeks, and world geography. I love that my children love what they are learning!

Posted December 9, 2013

This is my kids' second year at Heritage. We LOVE it! I really like how concerned the teachers are with helping my students grow academically. My son is a little forgetful and his teacher and I have been emailing back and forth all year working together to figure out the best ways for him to stay on task and remember what he needs to do. I love that my older son is learning Latin and practicing the violin. I also like that the main subjects are really emphasized. My daughter was really struggling with math when we were in the public school. She went from barely passing the state math test to exceeding! Plus, for the younger grades its a dual language immersion so the kids are learning Spanish! What a great life skill besides all of the cognitive benefits. As a side note, the school has a zero tolerance for bullying policy so I'm not sure what the other parent was talking about.

Posted December 4, 2013

HCCS has been an amazing school for my children. They've learned so much in their classrooms. Their teacher's are nurturing and do a great job communicating with me. The administration is very welcoming, know students by name, and always contact me should an issue ever arise. The best thing aside from the high academic standards are the school's work against bullying. My child loves HCCS.

Posted November 10, 2013

My children have been there since the first year. They are 6th, 3rd and K this year. Love the school, love the staff, and my oldest has had great improvement over his prior school. I would HIGHLY recommend.

Posted November 7, 2013

My son isn't without his own personal struggles, but I feel this school does very little to address bullying, and at least with my son, has a history of ignoring it. As another parent has cautioned with their child's experience, I would caution parents as well. I don't feel this school does not do enough to address bullying, or it's teacher's and administrators turn a blind eye to it. Very disappointed with this school, and I am working to move my son into another school.

Posted November 6, 2013

HCCS was a horrible experience for my family. I caution anyone considering enrolling their child. I thought my son would have a great opportunity at HCCS. He was doing well in Public School when HCCS contacted me a said there was an opening. I invested money for embroidered uniforms & purchased supplies for the class. My son attended for 3 weeks. Every day he had physical bruises, torn clothing, scratches, one day a swollen eye & another a swollen lip. I was concerned about this, how my son was doing in school, his interactions with classmates & homework assignments. I asked his teachers to contact me multiple times. I understand people have very busy lives. I asked his teachers to contact me for a week. After 4 days 1 of his 2 teachers called me. I unfortunately missed her call. She left a message saying she would call back & never did. I cut my losses and put my son back in public school. His public school teacher says my son is helpful in class & she contacts me or my husband if there are any questions or problems. My son no longer comes home with bruises, scratches or torn clothing. I feel horrible I put my son through this & wanted other parents to know.

Posted August 30, 2013

Heritage Community Charter School is a wonderful school. I am a staff member as well as a parent. My children love the environment. Students are held to high standards of academic performance and social conduct. At Heritage my children are learning to be good people as well as good students. The staff members are friendly, supportive, and encourage students to do and be their best. I would love to see Spanish offered as an elective in middle school since the elementary school is a dual language immersion program.
—Submitted by a teacher

Language Usage

The state average for Language Usage was 73% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Idaho used the Idaho Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 10 in reading, math and language usage, and in grades 5, 7 and 10 in science. Students may also take the ISAT in grades 11 or 12 if they were not able to do so in grade 10. The scores from the spring administration are displayed on GreatSchools profiles. The grade 10 ISAT is a high school graduation requirement. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering the specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Idaho. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Usage

The state average for Language Usage was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 90% in 2013.

Language Usage

The state average for Language Usage was 80% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 72% in 2013.

Language Usage

The state average for Language Usage was 73% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 87% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Usage

The state average for Language Usage was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Language Usage

The state average for Language Usage was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2013.

All Students81%

Hispanic86%
White95%
Economically disadvantaged90%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Idaho Department of Education. If there are fewer than 11 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students83%