Posted August 24, 2013
North Star Charter School is the best school I have ever encountered. My daughter has been attending this school since 2nd grade. The teachers here are caring and are so involved. They are easy to talk to and keep parents posted every day. My daughter has excelled here academically as we'll as socially. The teachers and parents have a tight nit relationship and I have never seen such hard work and caring from both the faculty and parents to keep this great school running for my child to continue receiving the best education. I feel that the Meridian school district should stop trying to take away great schools that have such support. There are so many horrible public schools that will receive all of the districts support when instead should close or be redirected. North Star should remain open so that children who cannot attend a private school still have the opportunity to receive a top notch education. Thank you North Star Charter for the best education and caring that you have given my daughter. I will continue to give all my support to this school!

Posted July 30, 2013
My child has attended a private school, two in district schools and North Star last year. NSCS is as good if not better than the private school. We love this school. The second grade teachers are wonderful. I hope they stay open and would be heart broken if they have to close, it would be a great loss to the community.

Posted July 12, 2013
We have one son who has attended North Star Charter School, Elementary, through 2nd & 3rd grades, and one son who was in the coveted kindergarten class. Excellent on all accounts!! Some of the best academics in the state. Teachers who successfully handle all ability levels with enthusiasm, organization, and creativity, and will graciously and promptly communicate with parents to address concerns. The school promotes high standards of character and citizenship also, and both of my sons have made friendships with families I can trust. A respected school in this area.

Posted July 08, 2013
NSCS is an amazing school with an accelerated curriculum and highly dedicated teachers and parents. Before coming to NSCS my child attended a local Meridian School where he was bullied by students and the teacher. He was not academically challenged and was constantly bored. We have been so blessed to be a part of NSCS the last two years where my children now both go. My children have thrived and are constantly being met where they are academically and being pushed to higher standards. We have not had any issues with bulling. The kids at NSCS are class acts. Stop by sometime and I guarantee a child will hold open a door for you or stop in the hall to let you by. The teachers are the best of the best. We have experienced Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grades at this school and have been completely amazed every time. These teachers work so hard to give every child a chance not only to succeed but to go above and beyond what they thought was their potential. They do not let these kids settle for average, they want them to be exceptional. The teachers love being there and it shows. I love this amazing school and pray it is around forever!

North Star Public Charter School 4

Posted April 11, 2013
North Star PUBLIC Charter.. if paying attention to the education in IDAHO.. The govenor has voted DOWN every opportunity to assist any Charter school with all these financial problems. Private funding at high interest with uncorroperative state officials and lendors is the main issue at NSCS. Yes, some teachers have turned over the last few years.This has not been to the schools best interest. We had 6th grade and high school math teachers that WOULD look at a student, and know if they needed extra assistance that day. Not now. The principal is great, although overeducated (inj wrong areas ) parents are constantly creating hostility over issues he has no power over. The Board members need cleaned up from its Community voted members, and there needs more proactive decisions and accountability directly to the board members, not the staff and principal. Yes there are budget cuts . If you chose a charter school, Don't act like a public school parent and expect everone to do your thinking and work for you. Be proactive in your students education. My child is safe at this school. I will never worry about guns and violence. Now to get rid of cell phones on campus entirely.

Posted April 07, 2013
We love this school - my daughter started in Kindergarten and is currently in first grade. The teachers she's had have given her a love of learning that I hope she'll never outgrow, and her learning curve has been great- she's very bright, but they never stop challenging her, and she never stops loving it. She and I will both be devastated if the school fails financially; I'm hopeful they'll find a way to stay open.

North Star Public Charter School 1

Posted November 25, 2012
The Washington Post Great Schools Challenge index score is the number of college-level tests given at a school in 2011 divided by the number of graduates that year. Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies (Subs. lunch) and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career, called equity and excellence, (E&E). I don't believe North Star had a school lunch subsidy that year and a small junior and senior class that could skew the percentages. The score does not make it the number one school in Idaho only the number one as based on that criteria. A lot of parents whose kids left North Star because of the issues with the middle school are finding their kids having to catch up at their new high school even though they received high marks at North Star.

North Star Public Charter School 2

Posted October 04, 2012
The school is alright, it isn't as rigorous as they preach and teachers are only human. After pay cuts, so many changes in administration and major class size changes they are tired. Who can blame them, they signed up for one thing and got another. My HS student likes the small school environment but doesn't like the lack of electives and hates the idea of having the SAME teacher for three years in several subjects. The choices are slim and if you have a few teachers that aren't great, you are stuck with them. There are definitely some weaknesses in the HS curriculum because of budget probably but also because you have teachers that won't listen and engage in a conversation that just MAYBE they aren't as great as they think and should look at what other schools do MUCH better. Science and math the REAL weak link in the HS program. The classes are overcrowded in most grades and test scores are dropping each year. Taughting the IB when kids aren't passing the test is a little over the top. I would guess more kids will pass as the graduation numbers grow, but all they are selling isn't necessarily all that is being done. Good small environment but not great for rigor.

Posted October 02, 2012
Washington Post ranked this school #1 in the state of Idaho and #82 in the nation! This is a great school! The students, teachers, curriculum and enviorment are outstanding. I couldn't ask for a better school for my children.

Posted August 01, 2012
I don't know much about the middle and secondary level but the elementary level is terrific. Teachers do have a challenge to teach class sizes that avg around 32-36 students so you must be willing as a parent to keep current with how your child is progressing as it would be impossible for even a super hero to be on top of that. The K-5 is amazing. The main benefits to be specific are that teachers create a fun, fast paced, upbeat, positive learning environment. They are supported and respected by the current (2011-12) administration. They engage students from the top, not the middle, of curricular challenge. If you DO have any "incidents" with your child, they are quick to notify you and appropriate with their professional responses. I've only heard of one incident where the teacher was quite unprofessional in their response to a parent. The teacher was backed up and the parent was given the shaft, but that was one incident. Most families are fairly conservartive. The teachers in the elementary mix fun and humor, challenge and rigor with a touch of personalization and it's a winning combo. The office staff warms up once the crazy first few weeks of school is behind them.

North Star Public Charter School
839 North Linder, Eagle, ID  83616
Last modified North Star Public Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Star Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top