No rating

Cole Valley Christian Schools

Private | PK-12 | 309 students

Living in Meridian

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $149,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted August 4, 2014

Both of our kids graduated from Cole Valley Christian. One is currently getting a Master's degree and the other is entering college. They each learn very differently; one being a very high achiever and one who struggles with learning disabilities. Each had wonderful experiences at Cole Valley, where they were stretched and nurtured. Every teacher and administrator was willing to partner with us, as parents, to give our students opportunity for success. The Student Academic Services department was very helpful and supportive of our student who had learning struggles. We feel extremely fortunate to have had our students in a school where Christian values are taught and practiced, while a high level of academics is maintained. Our kids also enjoyed a wide range of extra-curricular activities offered at Cole Valley, including sports, music, and participating in student-led Chapel. This school has truly blessed our family.

Posted August 1, 2014

We have been very pleased. Our daughter loves it and she as been very challenged academically. The other students are kind and accepting in her grade level and she will be returning for high school. I think the admin really cares about the well being of each student. I am thankful for the Christian influence and that teachers pray for and with my child.

Posted May 15, 2014

Cole Valley Christian is not a school for a child who struggles in learning. This school proves that they do not believe that All God's children are created equal.They will accept your money for years, then one day say the child is beyond their help. Will even go as far as telling you they never had any intentions of allowing your child to obtain a Cole Valley diploma. It would have been nice to know that prior to years of paying and going there! Staff have even denied YearBooks at the end of the school regardless of the fact it was paid for, and extras were sitting in a box. Students were in Tears because they weren't able to have their friends sign them. My children's pictures/names were omitted. These things can never be fixed/replaced!! You then realize it was intentional. The money that you pay is not worth what many children have experienced at the hands of these so called christian's. If you question them on anything they will be negative towards you and your child.Out of all the teachers at Cole Valley I have experienced only two that have the values you would think a Christian School Should demand and exhibit. Sincerely, Dis-satisfied and enrolling my children elsewhere.

Posted July 1, 2013

I am a current Cole Valley Student, and I can honestly say that it is a great school. All of the teachers care greatly for their students, and challenge them to be the best they can be. The academics are excellent and the teachers are, too. I have seen some reviews saying that Cole only teaches Christianity...well, yeah. It's a Christian school. That's kind of the point. However, many of the teachers accept, and even encourage critical thinking and questions. They accept others' beliefs and do not discriminate. The athletics are great, with boys basketball going to state in the 2012-13 year, and winning in the 2011-12 year. Volleyball has gone to state for the past few years, and the girls basketball does well, too. This school is amazing in so many ways, sure it does have flaws, such as an overly strict dress code, but all schools have issues. I encourage anyone to consider this school.

Posted January 1, 2013

I went there from K-12, and while I loved the staff and have done wonderfully in College since graduating, I very much feel that they are very fundamentalist, especially in the way they police female students dress code, sexuality, and lack of adequate sex ed. Great education, yet very backward in pushing specific political and religious views.

Posted November 2, 2012

Great school. Academics are solid, with a focus on preparing students for college and future jobs. Teachers care about students and take an active role in education. Leadership researches best practices.

Posted September 21, 2012

The school's history has rightly earned it a good reputation, but the current superintendent's many missteps and personal shortcomings are putting this school in jeopardy. The superintendent has made statements about teaching being a "lower skill set" (his words) than doing administrative paperwork. Of course, he has no background in education, but thinks his experience as a kids' basketball coach gives him the expertise to tell experienced teachers how to do their jobs. He has no interest in receiving input from parents whose opinions may differ from his own. He is also a poor money manager, spending most of the school's budget on athletics while not giving the teachers any salary increases or budgeting for educational programs. The school's future is being jeopardized by poor leadership and the superintendent's lack of character.

Posted April 30, 2012

Our family has been so blessed by Cole Valley Christian Schools. One child is a graduate, and one will graduate from CVCS. Despite the cost associated with a private school, we view CVCS as an investment, not a sacrifice. We are grateful to the administration, staff and coaches for their godly example and commitment to our children.

Posted February 14, 2012

My children have attended CVCS from K-10. The elementary campus was wonderful, great leadership! The secondary campus is lacking in leadership. The Superintendent and the VP have ZERO teaching experience. The Superintendent worked at Hewlett-Packard until 2005. The education is lacking. It s not worth the money nor the Spiritual environment sub-par at best.

Posted July 26, 2011

As a student who left CVCS this year, I am glad to say that I am moving on to better places. The school only teaches one brand of Christianity and does not promote free and critical thinking. I hope that people do not send their kids to this horrible place where the programs, especially the history department, is lacking so. All that happens is that you are taught to love Jesus, told to not trust other religions and finally told to do whatever the staff teaches you to do. This school should not even be credited. I forgot, be prepared to be taught that talking snakes do exist...

Posted June 7, 2011

I am a graduate of Cole Valley Christian High School. I attended from 9th to 12th grade. CVCS does not adequately prepare their students for college level courses. I was an A and B student my entire time at CVCS yet when I entered basic college courses the simple and naive way I had been taught, especially in History, lead to a period of catching up my first year in college, since history courses at CVCS are little more than the teacher going off on wild tangents about fighting off demons. The school claims to be a "Christian" school yet only pushes one brand of Christianity - hardcore fundamentalism. Even quality teachers are fired because they may not agree with some aspect of the schools theological manifesto. Even NNU a Christian college at least teaches their students actual, fact based courses on science, history and various other subjects. If you want your kid to be reinforced and "educated" with your own beliefs this is the school for you. If you want your child to develop objective critical thinking skills and have an advantage in life...send them somewhere else! I also recommend sending any athletically talented children to schools that have a viable sports program.

Posted May 23, 2011

I'm a former student and high school graduate of Cole Valley Christian, having attended there every year from K-12. My education there left me woefully underprepared for university courses where a higher standard of world knowledge and critical thinking ability is required. The high school in particular is a fundamentalist Christian training center; science and history courses were spun to fit a pre-fabricated conclusion based on a particularly-literalist interpretation of the Bible. During my time as a student, there were required religion-related courses, including apologetics and worldviews courses which are little more than Christian propaganda. It actually has a fairly-high academic reputation in the area from what I know, but the assault on your child's ability to reason objectively no matter the subject is not worth that potential gain. Stay away from this one!

Posted September 16, 2010

As a former student I can honestly say that the leadership here has changed my life and is still changing my life years later. Cole Valley Christian gave me discipleship, a good education, leaders and teachers that I trusted, and a chance to go on the most amazing trip of my life to the Philippines. The staff here truly wants the students to get a grip on why the Bible is true, how to apply it to life and make more disciples of Jesus. Jesus is the center of education at CVCS and my future plans have radically changed towards loving those who need love the most all over the world.

Posted May 24, 2009

We have 2 kids in this school and we have found that the standards of education far outstrip those of the public school we brought our daughter from. So much so, that they maintain an in-school catch-up program that is designed for children coming from the surrounding public schools whose curriculum is at least a full grade behind.

Posted March 18, 2009

We have three students at Cole Valley Christian School. The best aspect of living in the treasure valley is this school. Our entire family has made wonderful friendships connected with this school. Our students have been challenged this year academically and spiritually. The teachers and coaches are amazing. Our son's 8th grade basketball team placed first in their conference. Our three kids love this school!

Posted June 23, 2008

This school is more than just an amazing school. This school is life changing. I couldn't be more proud to say that I just graduated from Cole Valley Christian. The teachers here are wonderful, and they care about each and every individual student. The faculty and staff are always willing to help, and are ALWAYS there when you need them. The students there are different - they aren't just classmates. They are your family. When you are here, you really are family. Not just students. The academic levels are much higher than public schools. Teachers want their students not to merely pass their class, but to take something away from it and actually learn something. The teachers are not there for themselves, they are there for the students. I would encourage anyone and everyone to attend this school. It is worth everything.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 25, 2006

Both of my children attend CVCS. We are extremely happy with the leadership and dedicated professionals that we find there. My kids are involved in sports and yearbook. They have had fantastic guest speakers at Chapel who talk from a Godly world view about drugs, sex and peer pressure. They have also had some great bands perform. Although the cost is quite high, we are thankful our kids attend CVCS.

Posted May 15, 2006

I think that Cole Valley Christian school is a great school for all to attend. It has taught me so much and the teachers there are so loving to the students. You also get the one on one with the teacher that you wouldn't get at a public school. The academic programs are great and usually better than public in my opinion, but the extracurricular activities and sports aren't the best. The only sports they have is basketball, cheerleading, volleyball, and football. There is also not a music class, but there is choir, which you can choose as one of your electives. The level of parent involvement is good, even if i don't always like it. My parents are able to go onto our schools website at any time and see my grades straight from my teachers grade book. I think Cole Valley just makes it a key point... Parent involvement!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 12, 2004

Excellent experience with this school for our daughter. High standards, good teachers and strong morals. Future growth and facility improvements will add needed extracurricula opportunities.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 2 National Merit Scholar Finalists (2009)
  • 4th grade Idaho History Bee - 2nd place (2009)
  • Quiz Bowl Team Class C INL Scholarship Champions (2008)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (208) 898-9016

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious