K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (4 responses)

I attended The Ambrose School for 13 years and my experience there more than equipped me for college. Ambrose taught me how to think well and gave me the ability to articulate my thoughts, which is something that I have noticed is not nearly as common at college as you would imagine. The workload is fairly heavy, but it taught me to use my time wisely which also helped immensely in college.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Character development is perhaps the most important aspect of attending Ambrose. From a young age, the teachers attempt to instill good character in their students, and this continues until graduation.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All of the teachers are willing to spend extra time with their students and clearly care about teaching the material well.

I graduated from Ambrose in '07. While the school can be puritanical at times, the top-notch education I received helped me to be academically successful in college and graduate school. Ambrose equipped me mentally and spiritually to excel in life. I remember my time there fondly, and I look forward to my ten year reunion in May.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework helped me learn the material and prepared me for tests. Sometimes, however, it seemed like busywork.

Amount of homework: Agree

The reading assignments are good and the writing assignments for the most part as well, but more thought needs to be put into equipping students to use their study time effectively.

In many educational systems, the task of learning is deemed complete once the student has recapitulated the text under examination or reproduced a set of facts from a textbook. At Ambrose, this was only the first step. It was never enough to ask only what an author was saying, instead students were challenged to hold these claims up against the tenets of the Christian faith as they are understood through Scripture and the history of the church. In college, I found myself well prepared for research papers and oral presentations in my honors classes by the practice I had at Ambrose in Mock Trial and through the the thesis projects. I didn’t particularly enjoy my math classes at Ambrose and graduated having only studied through Calculus I. It wasn’t until college that I realized how much I enjoyed math and added mathematics as a secondary major. The science curriculum at Ambrose was mediocre and I found it lacked the kind of faith integration that so enriched the other courses. While the grammar school curriculum was dominated by textbooks and educational texts from the past thirty years, in the upper school, we as students were in constant contact with the seminal works of western civilization. This trait of classical Christian education is one of the most valuable to students. Whereas so many educational institutions now offer students almost exclusively the writing and thought of the past century as a means to understanding the philosophy, art, and history of human civilization over the past three thousand years, The Ambrose School puts these books directly in the hands of students, enabling them to look beyond the confines of modernity to understand the diversity and richness of human experience and thought across cultural and temporal divides. Of all the many good things Ambrose affords its students, the opportunity to participate in a small, stable, tight-knit, Christian community is the most precious. In the midst of a hyper mobile society where transience is the norm and nearly all relationships are attached to some specific function in the individuals’ lives, to have shared so much of my life with a small group of friends is an experience as cherished as it is rare. More than four years after graduation, the members of my class continue to spend time together and share in meaningful conversations with one another.

I graduated from The Ambrose School in 2013 after having attended for 13 years (k-12). Ambrose prepared me for college and life abroad in three ways. First, In an academic sense, I was prepared for life in college. I constantly referenced notes from my science courses, and regularly cited ancient texts such as Dante's inferno, the Aeneid, and others. Senior year instilled a love of art and European history that has driven me towards the good and the beautiful. Second, I yearned for a challenge in everything I did. This has prepared me for life in college, and also for my career. I learned to aim high, and not accept second best. Lastly, Ambrose gave me friendships and connections which I still hold dear to my heart and still help me and mold me to be a better woman, friend, and wife. I highy recommend this school for the education, the community, the benefits of a classical education, the teachers, the staff, and the administration.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I wouldn't say this is much of an issue at Ambrose.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

There are programs and tutors available for students, Not to mention teachers who are always willing to help.

Last modified The Ambrose School is a Private school that serves grades K-12