Meridian, ID
After care: No

Posted May 15, 2015
This has only been our family s first year at The Ambrose School but it has by far exceeded our expectations. The upper school students, the teachers, coaches, parents, and administrators have been extremely warm, welcoming, loving, and helpful to our child. I cannot even begin to explain what a blessing it is to my wife and me to have our 16 year old following us around the house, enthusiastically expounding on the things that went on during the school day and to hear, I cannot imagine how next week could possibly top these past two weeks. Is the school rigorous? Yes. We expect it to be. Can an average student with a decent work ethic thrive there? I believe so. That would describe our child. The homework load, in our own personal experience, has been very reasonable and not at all burdensome. Our child has participated in many extracurricular activities and family activities with no problem. I would say that the school is not for everyone though. The expectations for conduct and hard work are high. It places a high premium on Christian worldview. Not everyone will agree with the classical Christian approach but for us The Ambrose School is as good as it gets.

Posted May 05, 2015
I have tried multiple times to review this school. I tell the truth of my family's experience and every time my review is removed by greatschools.org for TOS violation. The truth is my family was at Ambrose for 12 years. We spent in excess of $70,000 in tuition, almost that much in donations, and thousands and thousands of volunteer hours. In return, in her freshman, sophomore and junior year my daughter was shamefully bullied by faculty,administrators, elite families and their children. When we complained we were told that this activity was part of their educational plan, and if we didn't support this plan we were no longer welcome. We left, and have been maligned and shunned since standing up for ourselves by the "Christian" community of the Ambrose School. Please do not send your kids to this institution.

Posted April 30, 2015
The Ambrose school is a wonderful education for all grades. The teachers are caring and the curriculum is challenging. Students are taught to think, not just to memorize and recite. The truth of God's word is interwoven throughout each subject.

Posted April 17, 2015
Our family is humbled to be a part of the Ambrose School. The staff is fully committed to creating a true classical Christian experience. Instead of the chapel approach of most Christian schools, wherein the spiritual element is silo-ed into an hour of the students day, the aim of the school is to integrate Christ into all subjects (for example, showing through mathematics how Christ created perfect order to the universe). Furthermore, the school honors the true classical approach of grammar, logic, and rhetoric. Subjects are not taught in autonomy but correlated to underscore the practice of thought as a part of a richer foundation of knowledge (for example, selecting literary pieces that complement the historical period students are reviewing). Grammar school emphasizes memorization and upper school is split between logic and rhetoric. Students emerge as critical thinkers that are well spoken, analytical, and well-equipped for a successful life of scholarly prowess. The families and staff are unified in their love of the children, Christ, and education. They work together to create an incredible community!

Posted March 17, 2015
When we were making the choice of where to place our kids we were given so many opinions about The Ambrose School, all strong in one direction or the other. As a private Classical Christian school we heard the rumors and concerns of it being too strict, academically rigorous, expecting too much of the students, being overly structured, pouring homework on children and not allowing them to enjoy childhood. I can't tell you how unfounded all of these concerns have proven to be. Choosing The Ambrose School was the best decision that we have made for our family. To see our children being taught to love and live for Jesus while being trained up to be contributing people of character is such an invaluable blessing. They are being taught all of this with more grace and care then I could have ever imagined. The faculty that leads them have inspired us and made us want to be better parents and examples of Jesus to our kids. I just cannot say enough about this school for anyone who is considering it.

Posted March 03, 2015
My children have been going to this school for many years and we have finally had enough and realized that it is time to move on. This school leaves me with both a horrible taste in my mouth when I think about it and an appreciation for what they are trying to achieve. I believe that the school means well and the curriculum is spectacular unfortunately the implementation of this curriculum leaves much to be desired.

Posted March 03, 2015
The curriculum at the school is very "rigorous" as many teachers have stated and if you have a child with any learning disabilities do not enroll him/her into this school. The school does not cater to any children with learning disabilities from what I have personally been told. I have had several children at this school not all with learning disabilities. Most of the families are wonderful at this school and I feel that the school takes advantage of them and overwhelms the children with so much school work that many parents and students end up emotionally exhausted. When has it ever been acceptable for students to cry due to so much homework? How is it ok to burden the whole classroom with a huge workload because a few students can handle it? Children should not be spending 3+ hours on homework each night and this is what you can expect from this school from 6th grade and onward. My child will miss friends but not the school when we do not return next year. If you are looking for a school where your child will be busy doing homework all night with no time for any other activities or friends then this is the school for you.

Posted February 19, 2015
My son graduated from The Ambrose School. He received a full tuition scholarship to a school East of the Mississippi. He was fully prepared for college. He learned how to work hard and how to manage a full workload with demanding subjects. His college professors are impressed with his knowledge ranging from Art appreciation to Economics. He is able to articulate himself well in class discussions and essays. We contribute this success to his experiences at The Ambrose School. When he was home at break, we were talking about his future goals. He told us that he wants to find graduate from college, find a successful job, marry a Godly woman, and have lots of kids. Finally, he wants to live close to Meridian ID so he can send his kids to The Ambrose School.

Posted February 18, 2015
This is my family's 4th year at the Ambrose School, and we love it. The Christian community here is wonderful; we are regularly encouraged by the displays of Christian love and charity that we see happen in the school. My wife and I are daily assured that the teachers and other families care about our daughters and are looking out for their spiritual, intellectual, and physical well-being. The maturation in Christ we have seen in our daughters from year to year is almost unbelievable, and much of that is due to the Christ-centered culture and instruction they receive throughout the school day.

Posted February 17, 2015
This is a school that will teach your kids to be critical thinkers. The academics are rigorous and are accompanied by a nurturing culture. The teachers and staff care about the students and their parents. My kids became life-long learners as a result of their studies here and the example of the teachers.

The Ambrose School