Public charter
Meridian, ID

Posted May 05, 2014
We started our daughter at Compass in kindergarten and were so impressed by how tightly run the class was. Every minute was planned for the most efficient learning. My daughter would come home excited every day to do her math homework, be timed how fast she could complete a "math minute" and tell me about what she learned that day. Now in first grade, she continues to love her teachers and shows so much pride in her school. She enjoys her primary subjects, as well as science, music, PE, and computers. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants their child excel. They do such a great job putting the responsibility of behavior and learning on your child. Rather than conducting parent/teacher conferences, they conduct student-led conferences where each student is responsible for reporting how they are doing and what they need to work on. Our daughter was nervous last conference because she was required to formally introduce us to her teacher, which she did very well. We love this school and the environment they create for optimal learning.

Posted October 01, 2013
I currently have two students at Compass. I can't agree with some of the reviews that Compass may not be for every student but I can say that it may not be for every parent. Shortly after my kids started I realized that I would have to become more involved in their education as the work load and expectations are very high. Community service and self determination are encouraged. Excuses, just like at home, are not. Overall my kids feel the environment is both safe and nurturing. Several years later I have two college bound students with much college credit already earned and a National Merit Scholar semifinalist (hopefully winner) out of the deal. I think it was all worth it and I can only hope it goes this well for my kids in the future.

Posted August 15, 2012
This is a wonderful school. Outsiders are constantly amazed at my child's math, reading, and language skills for her age. I really appreciate the fact that they are constantly challenging the students, instead of holding up the entire class in case someone falls behind.

Posted May 17, 2012
This school is not as good as they claim. The administration is good at one thing, chasing away the best teachers! The administration is very unprofessional in the way they interact with teachers and parents creating an antagonistic atmosphere if anyone asks any questions. I would steer clear of this place of you value your children's education.

Posted February 13, 2012
This school is an amazing. The environment is wonderful. The academics are strenuous. The teaching is above and beyond. But be aware if your children are not performing academically they will fall behind. I have average students and it is tough but they love the school so they have to work really hard. I do not care for the administrator of this school, but she runs a tight ship and I feel like this is why this school is so great. and no isn't because I feel like my children need to be favored. If your child isn't performing well on ISATs (which they expect proficient and above) you will get a call saying your child isn't performing and asked to consider if this school is a right fit for your child. Burn out is expected if you come in in an later grade, (such as 5th-8th) My junior highers wanted to quit after 2 weeks because they weren't used to the homework load. They hung in there and are both happy they did!

Posted December 05, 2011
My children were admitted to CPCS this year. My wife and I carefully read the charter documents before placing them in this school and went in knowing that it would be a big change for our kids. I was excited to get our kids out of the "big school district" bureaucracy and into a smaller school where the parents, administrator, and board are all on the same page. The academic expectations at CPCS are very high. This makes for a challenging environment that may require a lot of parental one-on-one time at home to make sure your kids are keeping pace in the classroom. This has been a great thing for our family and motivated us a parents to be actively involved in our children's education. Ultimately my child's education is my responsibility and I want to place them in a situation where we have the best chance to learn and be challenged. CPCS has turned out to be that place. I openly admit that it might not be a good fit for some families. Every family is different and school choice should be based on family situation. If you want a challenging school, with strict discipline, and high expectations for both parents and students then CPCS is for you.

Posted May 16, 2011
This school is Amazing!! The teachers & administrator really care of our children. This school runs off a Lottery system, so acceptance has nothing to do with your religious beliefs. This lottery system allows a level playing field for everyone. It is like being able to have a private school setting, where every one knows your child and you know that they are getting a great education backed up by love for them also.

Posted July 23, 2009

Posted June 21, 2009

Posted May 07, 2009
I have had kids in this school since day one. I still have a 6th grader there. This school is awesome for kids that like to be challenged, good for an average student if you are an involved parent and can help with homework. Bad for underachievers. But even for them, if they can hang in there until high school and then move on they will excel in High School because the curriculum is so advanced. My only complaint is with the Administrator. She seems to assign labels to students and once labeled that is where they remain. Any complaint I have ever had with this school centers around her actions. The Board seems oblivious. The teaching staff is incredible! It seems to me that this school has recruited the best and brightest and I have seen no signs of teacher burnout. Truly first rate teachers. Good job teachers, thanks!

Compass Public Charter School
2511 West Cherry Ln, Meridian, ID  83642
Last modified Compass Public Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Compass Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top