Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Evil they make students cry often. No empathy

This school chases away great teachers. The admin treats the students like robots and even has a list of students they want out.

We previously homeschooled, and it took our kids from at grade level to level to excelling in 1 year. There are rules, but it cuts out the drama and distractions that the overcrowded public schools experience daily. We want our kids to be respectful and the reason why we are sending them to school is to learn. Compass does exactly that. No fluff, limits distractions filling the other schools. We have to pay for some private things that would be provided by other schools like art, music and athletics. Bussing is very limited and so we pay for transportation as well. But it's a cheap, top-notch private level education. It's been a great American opportunity to have this kind of education paid for by tax dollars. They are tight on their budget and therefore run an excellent school. Our concerns have always been dealt with professionally and thoroughly. Most Compass parents are particular about their child's education which also contributes to an excellent school environment. We are blessed to be at Compass.

My son started first grade this year at Compass. His teacher is amazing and has helped him a great deal with not only academics but with his anxiety. It may not be a school for everyone but my kids and I love it!

This school is the WORST school i have EVER attended. DO NOT send your kids here. The rules are CRAZY!! They don't understand the concept of "A LIFE OUT SIDE OF THIS CRAZY SCHOOL!!" 2-5 hours of home work every night! Do not send your kids here if you want them to be good at sports defiantly don't send them here. The sports are absolutely HORRENDOUS! If you want your kids to go to a school that the administration does not care about anything really. Then this is the school for your kids. Don't let them sell you on the your kid can be taking college classes. Because yes your child might be taking college classes but they have to be approved by the teachers and the administration to receive any credits for them. As the years have gone by at compass the good teachers leave and the teachers who are not so good fill there place. I do have very few good things to say about this school. One of them being the size there is no doubt that compass is small. The size is nice but to be honest there are other charter school out there that are just as small. I honestly cant see why any parent would want to send there kids here. As a student who previously went here I can speak from experience. I HATED IT. every second I hated it. I hated everything about this school. If my parents didnt make me stay then I have left after my first month here. This school has done nothing but cause problems for me. Dont expect teachers to help you out when your struggling in a class because compass "teaches to the high and expects the low to rise up with them." NO that is not how i would want my kids being taught. I would want them in an environment that the teacher is willing to help them when they don't understand something. I can only say good luck to any parent who forces there kids to go here. My word of advice is to go to ANY other charter school.

I have a gifted child. I was under the impression that this would be an interactive school where they would gather more information and be required to explain it. The workload is not as bad as it is made out to be. Honestly, it wouldn't be bad at all if the content was relevant, but the content is dry and I could see that learning was boring for the first time ever to my child. I would caution/recommend to keep walking if you are considering this school as an alternative for any kid, but especially a gifted kid who is currently excited about learning.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

There are some wonderful teachers whom I love. There are also some horrible ones. But worst of all is the admin.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Hm...3 hours a day? Seems like too much to me. Sometimes even 5 or 6 hours.

Develops character: Disagree

The most unfair people in this school is the administration. Everything is black and white for them; in their eyes, you're either a good student or a bad student. And if you are marked a bad student, you can never change that

My boys are just finishing up their first year at Compass (grades 4&5). We had homeschooled previous and was looking for a strong academic school. We have been SOOO happy at Compass!! It was definitely and adjustment for me as a homeschool mom to go from 100% hands on to very little involvement... but I have appreciated how thorough the teachers are and how much they actually TEACH!! My boys have both excelled throughout the year. We will be having all four of our children attend next year and are so excited to continue! :)

Last modified Compass Public Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.