Public charter
Meridian, ID

Posted May 16, 2015
My boys are just finishing up their first year at Compass (grades 4&5). We had homeschooled previous and was looking for a strong academic school. We have been SOOO happy at Compass!! It was definitely and adjustment for me as a homeschool mom to go from 100% hands on to very little involvement... but I have appreciated how thorough the teachers are and how much they actually TEACH!! My boys have both excelled throughout the year. We will be having all four of our children attend next year and are so excited to continue! :)

Compass Public Charter School 1

Posted April 27, 2015
I couldn't be more unimpressed with this school. Accountability from administration is absent. I have seen administration rush to judgement, misunderstand their own policies, email parents with inaccurate information, and punish all students based on the actions of a few. When issues were brought to their attention, there was no admission of mismanagement of issues nor admission that things could have been handled better had they not rushed to judgement. Instead, they gave excuses. "We're very busy so we didn't have time to diagnose the problem correctly before applying the solution." If you're looking for a school that has the same bureaucracy issues as the larger public schools but with fewer students, this is probably a good place. Would I recommend it over the public school my other children attend? No. See through the marketing and you have a smaller school with the same less qualified administration and overall lack of critical thinking, accountability, problem solving, and leadership.

Posted February 14, 2015
I am a high school freshman and I started at CPCS in 3rd grade! Our teachers are so great! In being such a small school, there is ALWAYS help available from a teacher. Before school, during lunch, and after school. My teachers are my friends and want to help me out. Compass is very fast paced. If your child likes learning this is a good school. Your child will never come home without a plethora of new knowledge. We learn so much. The students are really nice and welcoming and some of the greatest friends ever! We do have a lot of homework, but teachers will almost ALWAYS give us time to work on homework in class. That way, anything we take home is just stuff we didn't get around to finishing. I love that our school is so small and close-knit. We are a family at Compass. And none of the teachers are intimidating and I consider my teachers as my friends, too! We are big on fun, educational projects, like building roller coasters for marbles to learn about kinetic energy, friction, and Newton's 3 laws. I wake up every morning EXCITED to go to school. Compass is paving the road for me to have a bright future, and I hope you decide to try us out!

Posted May 05, 2014
We started our daughter at Compass in kindergarten and were so impressed by how tightly run the class was. Every minute was planned for the most efficient learning. My daughter would come home excited every day to do her math homework, be timed how fast she could complete a "math minute" and tell me about what she learned that day. Now in first grade, she continues to love her teachers and shows so much pride in her school. She enjoys her primary subjects, as well as science, music, PE, and computers. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants their child excel. They do such a great job putting the responsibility of behavior and learning on your child. Rather than conducting parent/teacher conferences, they conduct student-led conferences where each student is responsible for reporting how they are doing and what they need to work on. Our daughter was nervous last conference because she was required to formally introduce us to her teacher, which she did very well. We love this school and the environment they create for optimal learning.

Posted October 01, 2013
I currently have two students at Compass. I can't agree with some of the reviews that Compass may not be for every student but I can say that it may not be for every parent. Shortly after my kids started I realized that I would have to become more involved in their education as the work load and expectations are very high. Community service and self determination are encouraged. Excuses, just like at home, are not. Overall my kids feel the environment is both safe and nurturing. Several years later I have two college bound students with much college credit already earned and a National Merit Scholar semifinalist (hopefully winner) out of the deal. I think it was all worth it and I can only hope it goes this well for my kids in the future.

Posted August 15, 2012
This is a wonderful school. Outsiders are constantly amazed at my child's math, reading, and language skills for her age. I really appreciate the fact that they are constantly challenging the students, instead of holding up the entire class in case someone falls behind.

Compass Public Charter School 1

Posted May 17, 2012
This school is not as good as they claim. The administration is good at one thing, chasing away the best teachers! The administration is very unprofessional in the way they interact with teachers and parents creating an antagonistic atmosphere if anyone asks any questions. I would steer clear of this place of you value your children's education.

Compass Public Charter School 4

Posted February 13, 2012
This school is an amazing. The environment is wonderful. The academics are strenuous. The teaching is above and beyond. But be aware if your children are not performing academically they will fall behind. I have average students and it is tough but they love the school so they have to work really hard. I do not care for the administrator of this school, but she runs a tight ship and I feel like this is why this school is so great. and no isn't because I feel like my children need to be favored. If your child isn't performing well on ISATs (which they expect proficient and above) you will get a call saying your child isn't performing and asked to consider if this school is a right fit for your child. Burn out is expected if you come in in an later grade, (such as 5th-8th) My junior highers wanted to quit after 2 weeks because they weren't used to the homework load. They hung in there and are both happy they did!

Posted December 05, 2011
My children were admitted to CPCS this year. My wife and I carefully read the charter documents before placing them in this school and went in knowing that it would be a big change for our kids. I was excited to get our kids out of the "big school district" bureaucracy and into a smaller school where the parents, administrator, and board are all on the same page. The academic expectations at CPCS are very high. This makes for a challenging environment that may require a lot of parental one-on-one time at home to make sure your kids are keeping pace in the classroom. This has been a great thing for our family and motivated us a parents to be actively involved in our children's education. Ultimately my child's education is my responsibility and I want to place them in a situation where we have the best chance to learn and be challenged. CPCS has turned out to be that place. I openly admit that it might not be a good fit for some families. Every family is different and school choice should be based on family situation. If you want a challenging school, with strict discipline, and high expectations for both parents and students then CPCS is for you.

Compass Public Charter School 4

Posted May 16, 2011
This school is Amazing!! The teachers & administrator really care of our children. This school runs off a Lottery system, so acceptance has nothing to do with your religious beliefs. This lottery system allows a level playing field for everyone. It is like being able to have a private school setting, where every one knows your child and you know that they are getting a great education backed up by love for them also.

Compass Public Charter School
2511 West Cherry Ln, Meridian, ID  83642
Last modified Compass Public Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Compass Public Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top