Bad
Good

My children have been attending this school for the last 3 years. The teachers and staff are very kind and caring. My older son is above grade level in reading and math and his teacher has given us resources and ideas to help further and challenge him in those areas.

My sons strongest subject at home is reading. I would find him third and fourth grade reading material to enjoy. So of course, when he came home with his first progress report stating that he had a 1 (lowest grade you can possibly earn), I was confused. How is it that he earned such a low grade in his strongest subject? He also had a 1 in language arts. I spoke with his teacher and she said that maybe it was because she gives most tests orally. That being said, I figured my son just needed time to adjust to her teaching style. I worked at home with my son on reading and language arts. Only thing was...I had no idea what they were learning in class so that what he was learning at home could be relevant in class as well. There is such poor communication on the school's end as far as what they are learning in school each week. How do you expect children to excel? His grade is STILL at the 1 level. I tried to review with my son the answers that he had gotten wrong on past tests, but of course there are no written instructions on his tests. It is extremely frustrating. My son says his teacher tests him with words, and rules of grammar and that they are not introduced to them until the day of the test! No studying or rules of language to prepare them. Either children know these things before entering this school, pick it up along the way on their own, or they are left behind. Very, Very, upset with the quality of education my son has been receiving. And currently just doing the best I can to supplement his education at home. On top of that, my son has encountered a few too many instances of bullying at this school. And so has my nephew, who also attends the school.

This school's staff is warm and welcoming, the teachers that I have had the pleasure of getting to know thus far always have an open ear to my questions and/or concerns, and honestly...these are the best behaved students I have seen in the district at this age level. My children will definitely be staying at West!

This school is lacking in facilities and no communication on the schools end. I took my kids out of this school and would NEVER recommend this school for any children. After my son struggled at a first grade reading level for 2 years straight once i took him out and after 7 months of a different school he is now reading at proficient 4th grade reading level. Education is so important and you don't get time back.

We like West Elementary. Wonderful facilities and a caring staff!

'Both my Boys have gone to West Elementary since they were 7 years old. West is a school where the children come first. Both of my children had some troubles adapting first, but with the effort put in by the teachers and principle they were able to overcome them. The teachers are highly skilled and you can tell that they care about each child in their classroom because they all work hard to bring out the best in each child. The principal is great and knows each child by name. She is a great example of a leader and I know my children miss her and their teachers. Thank you West Elementary for bringing out the best in my children and giving them the encouragement and confidence they needed.'

Last modified West Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.