Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Xavier is one of the few schools that actually care about each student. The staff are extremely understanding. The teachers and students get along great and it's like they're friends.

Most of the negative comments on this page from parents are embellished. Yea they do expect a certain amount of homework done. But it is not 3-5 hours a night, that is not accurate. Also most of the parents posting negative comments probably were not willing to give up there time to be involved in their child's education. I am not saying that there are staff member they don't see eye to eye with but Xavier as a whole is great and I am guessing that most of these negative comments stem from isolated incidents. Just my opinion. My son did struggle at first but we stuck with it and it has not been easy with the expectations. I have 2 sons in this school now and they love it. It isn't easy sometimes they do ask a lot of parent involvement and some just aren't willing to do that. They would rather just drop off their kids off and not worry about it. My kids are thriving and I would rather see C grades from this school rather than A's in a public school. There are things that are a pain to give your time to but if you look big picture your kids education is priority one. So wouldn't you be willing to grind it out so they have every opportunity they can? We are and it is already paying off. Great school but remember they are a pretty new school.

Warning to parents of children with special needs! Xavier is "college prep" and so in order to prepare children for college they feel like the more homework the better. This means 3-5 hours of homework a night. Also there are teachers and administrators who completely disregard accommodations of IEP's. They will not grade fairly and will unfairly blame students for the teachers failings. Also they do not have the money for text books so the students spend a majority of the day copying work and making their own textbooks. There is no PE instead they do dance. There are hardly any field trips and no class celebrations of holidays or birthdays. They do not teach any social skills to the children. Talking at any time is strongly discouraged. Children are not allowed to be children.

My child was in an extremely unhealthy classroom . The community should be appalled about what is going on at XCS. We have experienced everything from yelling teachers, lying teachers and administrators, to my child being withheld medical treatment, and much more. Let's not forget the children are not even allowed to use the "library"at school. There are signs everywhere not to touch the books. Those are removed at accreditation time since a working library is a requirement for state accreditation. There have been multiple problems with most of their teachers and administrators for many years. Complaints have been filed with the state only for the school to lie and brush over the accusations because they are "from an upset parent". Tomorrow's leaders deserve more than the elitist behavior that is not only condoned but being taught from within this school. Please do your child a favor and make sure this is something you really want for your child before you send them there.

Xavier is a great school for students who are motivated and want to learn. It is not for lazy students or parents who don't care. There are high expectations here. The children who graduated in the last two years and have gone on to college have found that they are much better prepared for college courses than their peers. The are challenged but do not struggle in college. Xavier has prepared them well for higher education and for what to expect in their lives be it the work force or college.

My child cried about going to this school. Once I took him out and placed him in a public school he was fine. I found the staff to be very rude and seemed to have their own group that I did not fit in nor did I care to.

The school is an amazing place with great people so many high achievers and very personalized helpful classes.Don't go if you are not willing to try harder and strive for success.It is difficult but worth it.Try hard and you will succeed I love my school.

Xavier Charter School is a great place for high achieving elementary students. It is currently a poor choice for secondary education. Electives are extremely limited and even some core classes (math and sciences) are not offered due to the small size of the secondary program. The higher course requirements, harsher grading system, and limited courses offered at Xavier cause Xavier students to have reduced chances of being admitted to more challenging universities and of obtaining scholarships. There are very few extracurricular clubs. The staff, while very dedicated, are over worked and stretched too thin to be able to do a great job at everything and so some very important things fall through the cracks. Secondary students are also stifled by the small faculty as they have the same teachers for 3-6 years in a row, limiting students' exposure to varying ideas, personalities, expectations, and teaching methods. This also gives teachers tremendous opportunity to indoctrinate students with their own personal agendas. There are some advantages of attending a small school. There are some wonderful things about Xavier's secondary program, but it also leaves much to be desired.

We have a good local public school system, but we wanted a school with a more challenging curriculum and a more robust arts program. At the same time, we are a young family that doesn't have the money to spend on a private school. Xavier has been a perfect fit for us. It has a great staff, an innovative leadership structure, and most of all a set of dedicated, talented teachers. I especially love the community feeling of the school. Perhaps the best thing I can say about Xavier was summarized by a student I know that went back into the public school system, then came back to Xavier. In the larger public school system, he was criticized and ridiculed for asking the teacher follow-up questions that "wouldn't be on the test." At Xavier, he said it is "cool" to want to learn new things, and there is an excitement about knowledge that is contagious. We can't say enough good things about the education our kids get there.

For my daughter in the older elementary grade level Xavier wasn t a bad option. There is a very high expectation for behavior which is understandable when you have the classical curriculum. However there is little tolerance for kids who learn kinesthetically. My other issue with Xavier is their special ed program leaves something to be desired. Last spring, I inquired about my daughter (who is non-verbal autistic, no behavior issues) attending kindergarten. The special ed director at the time seemed very positive until I mentioned my daughter was non-verbal. I was then referred to our local school district. Upon hearing a change in directors, I again inquired via email about potentially having my daughter attend Xavier. After three days, I received a four paragraph response in legal-ease informing me of what my daughter is entitled to under federal law. I then asked if it would be possible to observe their current program in action but was extremely put off when I was told IF it were possible, I would need to arrange it myself with the head of schools. All that being said, Xavier really is a good option if your child has an auditory learning style and no mental disabilities.

Last modified Xavier Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.