Harry D Jacobs High School 3

Posted August 25, 2014
Wow, the great schools rating makes me wonder about the site as a whole. I have two kids who attended here. It is a large school with all the problems that come with its size. The teachers are lackluster and inflexible and dealing with the administrators is impossible. They are always right...just ask them. The consulors do not return e-mails to parents or students. The sports are also fairly poor and the facilities are a joke, except for the new $5 mil admin building for the district. Our last child is headed to private school rather than Jacobs.

Harry D Jacobs High School 3

Posted May 09, 2014
To start off, the teachers are average overall. Some teachers are absolutely great but if you get a bad one, watch out. The bad teachers are absolutely horrible and practically unbearable. At my particular time, the athletics were not the best. I think it is because our former athletic director only went to football, basketball, baseball, and major rival games. The administrators are a joke. They take things way too seriously and pretty much treat us like first graders. Do not even get me started on the signs hanging up saying things like "avoid a feud, do not throw food" or "Do not be rude throw away food" or "with pride walk on the right side" It is just ridiculous to treat us that way. Some classes you will learn while others you will sleep. It all varies based on the teacher of the class.

Posted December 19, 2013
Jacobs High School has been an experience I wouldn't wish upon anyone. I strongly believe the school could be better run by the students than it is by the overpaid "administration". The counselors have been less than helpful and it sometimes requires 4 to 5 emails for them to acknowledge you or write you back. To make an appointment with your counselor is a whole different story. You must fill out a piece of paper stating your reasons for the appointment and 9 times out of 10 they will look at you and say "we can't help you with that" or "that's not our problem". The teachers for the most part have been great. They help and care about you. It's the big whigs who have just run the place into the ground.

Harry D Jacobs High School 2

Posted February 24, 2013
There are some good teachers here, but not enough of them to outweigh the rest of the problems. The school lacks communication to parents and students. The rules and expectations change at the drop of a hat without warning. And if the student doesn't fit their mold, they do not want to deal with them. All in all, frustrating to interact with most administration as they don't want to hear that the school lacking in any way. If your child thinks outside the box, or has any special needs, or needs an organized environment with clear communication and expectations, look elsewhere.

Posted January 26, 2012
Terrible if you love your child enroll else were this school is so bad tired of unprofessial teachers who do not teach...day after day pulling children out of class to be searched and by the way they can do that for no reason and they do..... they are all out of line there is more then just bad teachers and staff the employee's which out tax dollars pay there salary I would not hire to walk my dog............let alne intrust with my child/teen

Harry D Jacobs High School 4

Posted November 02, 2011
I have a daughter that graduated from Jacobs and is now a sophmorein college. She took honors and AP classes and because of those competitive classes she got A's in those classes in college. The teachers do prepare the studentsl well for college and don't hand out easy As. My second child is now a junior and taking the same challenging schedule along with actively participating in sports and band. I know that she will be well prepare for whatever college she decides to attend. At Jacobs, even if you are not college boung, they have options to prepare you for anothe type of career that doesn't involve a four year degree. Enjoy those choices while you can, because with the Illinois budget cuts, those class choices will not be available in the future. The coaches are not the greatest as far as sports go, but I rather my child get an academic scholarship like my daughter did than a sports scholarship.

Posted October 28, 2011
Teachers are terrible, district is terrible, there is nothing good at all about this school. Academically, they are extremely far behind. They have no control over the kids. I definitely recommend that you need to rethink sending your kid off to Jacobs; and move or send him/her to another school outside of D300! Stay as far away from that district as possible!

Harry D Jacobs High School 2

Posted January 06, 2011
This school has one of the worst sports programs available. The coaches constantly change and none of them have a passion for the sport they are coaching. They are only doing it for the extra $$. What ever happened to the days when children looked up to their coaches as a role model? Not at this school. They do not coach them or encourage them. We barely have enough kids try out for most of the teams.

Posted April 27, 2010
Teache quality is poor at best. Jacobs goal is to be average.

Harry D Jacobs High School 4

Posted September 21, 2009
I graduated from the 'excellent' class of 2006. One thing I can say about Jacobs is if you're an honors student, it's very competitive. However, I went to college expecting to be completely overwhelmed and instead it was a 'this is it?' type feeling...I was prepared amazingly well. I participated in sports and extracurriculars and made great relationships with the teachers. Algonquin can be a bit snobby but overall I had a great experience.

Harry D Jacobs High School
2601 Bunker Hill Drive, Algonquin, IL  60102
Last modified Harry D Jacobs High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harry D Jacobs High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top