Arlington Heights, IL

Posted June 02, 2014
I'm very grateful to Edgar Elan Poe elem. school. This school is unique! We are immigrants from Ukraine and we have had grate opportunity to learn in this school by bilingual program. My family very appreciate each minute our son Tymur spend at that school. Grate teachers, respectful principal, interesting and useful educational program, careful PTO everybody do the grate job. Want to say special Thanks to our Russian teachers Mrs. Lifsheetz, Mrs. Ruditskaya, Mrs. Smolyanskaya, Mrs. Podkovik! You make a difference for our kids! Thank you very much! Tetiana

Edgar A Poe Elementary School 2

Posted March 12, 2014
Both of my sons needed ESL services so we sent them to Poe,altough we live in Buffalo Grove,my older son until he was ready for the mainstream class was in ESL,happy,friendly boy,little shy sometimes,so when he finally joinef regular 3rd grade,things changed drastictly...he wasn't accepted by his classmates....he was an outsider.. Now he's in Cooper and happier,so when my younger son will be done with ESL i will NOT let him go to regular,maistream class at Poe....he might not be happy there and not recognized by his classmates when walking to school in the morning,because of "not belonging".

Posted April 07, 2012
We have had such great success at our school and have been very lucky to have such a great handful of awesome teachers! My kids have done so well here and have learned a great work ethic that I hope carries them into middle school and beyond. There are a couple programs that are not publicized or explained well - including the criteria for PSI (advanced learners) and how these work or how students can achieve at a higher level. I would love to see what the district can do to formally address higher level learning and enrichment.

Posted March 30, 2012
The classes are small. The staff is nice. The school is nice and well maintained. The teachers are wonderful as is the curriculum . It is a nice diverse group of children. The PTO is very active, however there is not a huge participation across the entire school community. I think this is because 1/3 to 1/2 of the students at the school are in the Russian ESL program and there may be a language or cultural divide there. The boundaries set up for children that go to this school are very strange. So if you live in the neighborhood surrounding the school it may feel like a small tight knit community. If you don't, you could end up feeling completely isolated.

Posted August 19, 2011
I completely disagree with the review regarding the school being awful. The teachers at this school are kind, care so much about the students and work hard in educating them. Small class sizes and a real community feel. The teachers know almost all the kids by name. Its a great school. Easy to get as involved in as you want with the school.

Edgar A Poe Elementary School 0

Posted May 01, 2010
this school is awful. Awful, awful. Might be OK for slow or average kids. No challenge at all at the other end of the spectrum. Pretend gifted program. No sense of community among families here.

Posted September 09, 2008
School hosts Russian ELL program for entire district 21. It is absolutely terrific... Classes are relatively small (under 20) and home teachers fluent in both Russian and English. Kids learn to read in Russian first which helps them to adapt to Kindergarden and move on reading in English.

Posted October 30, 2007

Posted January 03, 2006
We actually enrolled our son in this school before we moved to the neighborhood, thinking if he didn't do well, then we'd just find another school/house. We were so lucky! The school is just terrific and the teachers are really caring and qualified. My son's ADHD issues are addressed, and the school nurse and my daughter's teacher are awesome monitoring her nut allergies and asthma. Great teachers and clean nice school. (Nut-free table in the lunchroom.) Very active PTO that does a lot of activities. Very happy we selected this wonderful school. Feeds into Buffalo Grove High School, which is an excellent high school.

Edgar A Poe Elementary School
2800 North Highland Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL  60004
Last modified Edgar A Poe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edgar A Poe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top