Arlington Heights, IL

Posted January 27, 2014
As some of the previous reviewers have mentioned, Our Lady of the Wayside School hired a new principal in 2010 who has done an excellent job overhauling the core curriculum. Many of the parents are engaged in the school as room parents, fundraisers, coaches, etc., which leads to a tight-knit school community. Test scores continuously improve and remain higher than the local public schools, and the inclusion of faith, Catholic virtues, and emphasis on service help inform clear, strong character development. The school is working on improving teacher consistency but still has some underperforming teachers. Additionally, the school has the opportunity to improve its "specials" (art and gym especially). I am looking forward to the focus on math curriculum starting next school year as well. On balance, OLW is a close community that provides a positive, character-focused environment to raise one's children. We have two children in the school and we are very satisfied.

Posted September 25, 2013
I have 2 children at this school. I've been very happy with the education my children receive, as well as the sense of community and the caring teachers.

Posted January 20, 2012
I have two children at Wayside and, while we've been happy with the school since my oldest started in kindergarten seven years ago, we have been especially pleased with the new principal and his efforts to continually improve the school. He truly has the best interest of the students at heart. I love the new Buddy program that matches up older students with younger students in monthly activities. The buddy pairs also attend Mass together and that is fun to see. There have been a lot of postive changes in the past two years and I wish that students and parents would rate the school as it is now. Lice outbreaks occured at ALL the schools in our area and that's a silly reason to give a negative review. I am constantly amazed at how much the parents help out at school and work together for the good of the school.

Our Lady Of The Wayside School 2

Posted October 14, 2011
Anymore lice breakouts this year? Hope not. Because the staff won't do a thing about it except send home a letter. My daughter had a nice afternoon recently when the whole class had to rest their heads on the desk for 20 minutes because one student would not stop talking. Nice teaching technique!

Posted June 17, 2010
We have been so happy at Wayside this year. Our first experience with the school was last year when my child was in kindergarten there. I barely saw the at-the-time principal. This year there is a new principal who is very visible. He has made some major changes this year that I think will be extremely positive for the school. He is a definite presence and is not afraid to rock the boat. I'm excited to see what he brings to the school in the next few years. My children have flourished there this year and are challenged adequately.

Posted September 14, 2009
All I can say is wow!!! The teachers are so dedicated to the students, the parents are all so involved in day-to-day happenings, and my kids love this school! Every year, our kids rank in the to 10% (elementary and middle school) in the nation. Someone is doing something right! I can't imagine my children being educated anywhere else in Arlington Heights. For those of you that left horrible reviews, you obviously don't understand the sense of community. If you think that there isn't bullying, mom cliques and negativity at other schools, then you are sadly mistaken. Please give Wayside another chance.

Our Lady Of The Wayside School 0

Posted August 12, 2009
Extremely dissapointed with this school. Christian environment is not so Christian. Bullying is a problem. Adminstration will not respond. Instructors are tenured teachers who do not have proper training. Teaching consists of parents having to explain how to do homework. There are some very nice people at the school. But in general enrollment continues to drop.

Posted November 26, 2007

Posted February 05, 2006

Our Lady Of The Wayside School
432 South Mitchell Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL  60005
Last modified Our Lady Of The Wayside School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of The Wayside School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top