9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I attended this school and am now on track to be a neurosurgeon. My sister attended this school and is on track to be a dermatologist. We did not witness bullying and loved our teachers. The school is rigorous and the academics are tough. Both my sister and I attribute our success to St. Viator and St. Anne's (Barrington). St. Viator hands out a book "the 7 habits of highly effective people" that is literally how we are taught to behave and act. I didn't mind being drug tested (we didn't have alcohol testing when I went).

Amount of homework: Disagree

BUT its good for them to be prepared for what college will be like without it they will have a very tough start.

My daughter is a junior at St Viator. Until she came to Viator as a freshman, she was in all public schools. There are many positives and a few negatives about private vs public and I can speak fairly since we have experienced both. Academically, St Viator is preparing her for the challenges of college and beyond. Since day one it has been serious academics. I absolutely DO NOT feel my daughter is just another student in class. If you take the time to meet the teacher then you will see they are making a genuine connection with the students because they want to see them succeed. We are NOT a family who donates to the school, either. I don't agree with kids getting bullied. I do believe it happens here and the school must follow through with complaints. Kids will be kids but it doesn't mean they should get away with being a bully. We have not seen that problem. Quite the opposite. We have seen that the rules have been strictly enforced! Though students may complain, as parents, we are very thankful that the kids are made to follow the rules. That is the biggest difference between public vs private in our experience. At all schools there are rude & spoiled kids regardless of what your tuition/tax dollar bill is providing. I agree students at St Viator should be expected to set a higher standard e.i. love of humanity towards one another. We have experienced just that with my daughters LARGE group of friends and their friends and so on. Racism is wrong in any form. I agree that it would be challenging to enter any school as an international student. There definitely seems to be a divide of students at Viator BUT I don't think it is without some blame of the international student. If you keep to yourself how can you fairly say you were not accepted. You have to try. St Viator is an excellent school not just academically & spiritually but thanks to the Deans and The Father our kids are being held accountable for their daily decisions which are paving the road to the rest of their lives.

The students at this school are terrible and mean. Didn't realize it until I met students from schools around the area and Saint Viator is known as the school where "mean, psycho brats" go to school. Good school academically, but not worth the money when public schools in the area are just as good, if not better. Bullying is extremely common and some students at this school are just plain sick. Yes, bullying is a common problem at any school, but very magnified at Saint Viator. Not a very holy place if you ask me with all of those extra dollars for religion classes. It doesn't seem to be rubbing off...

There are pros and cons at every school and it is the same way for St. Viator high school. They have drug testing and alcohol test throughout the school year so it is a good thing parents know what their kids involve with. however, from a perspective of a student, most kids at this school are mean and have terrible manners towards each other. The nice ones are genuinely nice and the rest are ridiculously rude and racist, too. I have experienced racist behaviors while attending this school. I would not send my kids to this school nor recommend anyone I know to send their kids there since spending tons of money to go here and face those racists is not worth it no matter how good the education or the great discipline they have to offer.

I agree with those people, Im an international student too. There are so many mean people and some racist. The principle is really mean, teachers are mean, very few clubs and activities. Don't waste your money, If i'm a parent, I would definitely send my kid to public school.

I am an international student who is currently enrolling in this school. This school is a catholic school which does not practices the Bible and there are bullies. I have faced cyber bullying myself and have faced racism in this 21st century. Their punishment for the cyber-bullying was nothing. I guess it was because this person's mom or dad was pretty rich and famous among the faculty. If you want your kid to be successful send them to public schools. The only thing I liked from this school was the size of the school so it was not that noisy.

I don't agree with the above comments of bullying. I also must say that kids who struggle academically get FAR better one on one than ANY public school. This is mainly because the student teacher ratio is far better than any public school. I don't think there's a school in America that has zero bullying. My son saw first hand how bad it was in the public schools, and he has said since being at Viator he's seen next to no bullying. All in all, with Viator, I believe my kids are getting a better education and the school reinforces the faith based morals and values we have for our children. That's one thing you will never see happen at public schools

Education is adequate, however not worth the tuition. I also agree that there is a lot of bullying going on here. Administration ignores it mostly, especially if the students parents are big donors. We took our kids out of here, because we realized that if we have to spend this much money on tuition for average education, they might as well be in public school. I am happy to report that they are on honor roll, just as they were in Viator ' s , but without the bullying. My advice: save your money for a good university.

Good school academically, but you'll get a good education at public school as well since private school isn't necessary in the Chicago suburbs as it would be in the inner city. Agree with the comment below about this being a good school for your young adult if they're of average or above average intelligence, but not so much if they have special needs. Public schools do have better services for a student who struggles in some areas. Mostly good teachers, and some good kids, but unfortunately there is a lot of bullying. There are plenty of nasty, spoiled, and mean students who are unkind to other students and do not respect teachers. I'm sure this happens at other schools, but I feel it is far worse at St. Viator. The school relies on donations from parents, so many times, a blind eye is turned. There is a strong sense of entitlement amongst students that they can do whatever they want and get away with it. That is my only complaint about this school is that some of the students and their awful behavior really take away from the overall fine quality of this school.

Last modified St Viator High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12