9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Excellent longtime teachers throughout this school. Spanish, Biology, English, History, Mathematics, and Theology staff are especially impressive. Your son will definitely enjoy the monks as well. Fr. Patrick, Fr. Paul, and Fr. Sean are brilliant, well-spoken, intelligent men of God who were a pleasure to study under.

Amount of homework: Agree

There was a considerable amount of homework. It will be difficult as well. It will be harder if you do a sport. HOWEVER, for all the work that one puts into this, you will get so much more in return. The quality education will lead to good colleges and scholarships as well. Your son's high ACT/SAT score will put his peers in other schools to shame, and when your son enters the college of his dreams, and one day, he will turn and thank you for sending him to Marmion. Despite high workload.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The commitment to integrity, in academics and beyond, is a constant. The student body, most of which come from strong family backgrounds, enhances Marmion's core values and students are routinely recognized for their integrity and character. I recall many ethics lessons and I believe Marmion's faculty was very fair and understanding. Even when I caused trouble as a student, and I did from time to time, staff like now Headmaster Mr. Tinerella dealt with me quite fairly and treated me like a man. I always respected that and I appreciate now more so in retrospect.

As a Marine Officer going on my second tour, Illinois alum (2011), and Marmion (2007), I often point back to Marmion for both Marines returning to Chicagoland with their families as well as my friends intending on raising their boys anywhere near the Fox River Valley. Marmion's strong academic curriculum was a foundation for my success in college, in the military, and in multiple areas of my life. The opportunities provided to me by the academics, the athletics, and the many clubs and events allowed me to grow as a man, as a Christian, and as a leader. Certainly it was expensive, but now those summers spent working off tuition in the pine tree farm & all those spaghetti dinners were clearly worth it as I got a free ride through college with scholarships and opportunities to grow that I am convinced I wouldn't have found anywhere else in the area. The fraternal character of Marmion is a real difference maker and many of my fellow alumni friends are successful individuals in a variety of professions. The JROTC program is especially effective due to personalities like MAJ Mark Emerson and SGM Gissel who instill discipline in the new cadets. The support staff are particularly adept individuals who were excellent influences and the teaching staff is excellent, whether I realized it at the time or not. If you have a son who you want to have a solid Catholic education (after all many of the monks and teachers have PhDs, Juris Doctors, etc) and you want them to get involved in a community and go to a great college, here is where you make that investment. It is not a reform school, like others have pointed out, and those kids that grew up with poor influences will still have an uphill battle since you can lead of horse to water but you can't make him drink. The high ACT/SAT and scholarship awards speak for themselves, but the level of maturity, independence, and discipline that is instilled in these young men really sets this place apart from the other quality schools in the area. I'm sure your son will be concerned about the lack of women at the school, but with double the school dances, opportunities to meet the young ladies of Rosary, the sister school, in athletics, the band, the plays, clubs, and beyond; your son will find he has a network of friends and contacts spreading across many towns and plenty of social opportunities. SEND YOUR SON HERE.

We could not have made a better investment in our son than his Marmion education. We feel confident from witnessing his growth that he is not only prepared to be accepted by an excellent university, but he will also do well in completing his college education honorably. We are very grateful for the Marmion staff. Thank you for getting to really know our son and investing in him too. It is very comforting to be able to encounter a member of the staff at any time and be able to hear about our son from people who actively know and care about his progress. We are also very grateful for the detailed religious education he is receiving. This has grown him into a man who is able to speak intelligently to anyone with proper references and strong moral code. Our son is surrounded by like-minded boys of good character. There is a fraternal essence that empowers them. We are relieved to find that most of the boys are serious college bound students from solid parental involvement, not the reform school needy that public school parents warned us about. Overall, we can not recommend Marmion enough.

It's great for Catholic males of high school age. Others...not so much. Props for its JROTC.

If after all said and done...why are people posting here have wrong grammar? If you are looking for an excellent education and unmatched outcome, utilize the knowledge you gained from this school. How will I be convinced that this school is great if former students cannot edit their own comment? In fairness, the school is a good school.

Marmion is a great school. It provides an excellent education and more. The "more" is a place where your son can have a chance to grow into a great young man. When he finishes Marmion he will be the same good guy you sent there but he will be well educated, have his values set and be ready for his future. Another plus is that most of the guys get dones of scholarships for college and they have options when they graduate!

Marmion is a wonderful school. It has provided the academic foundation for my son when he attends college in the fall.

Marmion is an outstanding school, helping parents raise up sons to become balanced and complete men. After 1500 years, the Benedictine monks have perfected all systems to maximize the potential of young men. Marmion has 12 monks in school [45 in Abbey] and several dozen great lay faculty-- all are outstanding spiritual and 'life value' role models. Very strong academics to all from average to the most gifted. Class size gives unlimited access to all sports and clubs. As a freshman our son learned how to learn, and while he worked hard, he liked the challenge and grew to greatness before our eyes. The 131 class of 2009 graduates earned a total $16,000,000 in college scholarships--your tuition value goes from great to amazing. Military option teaches leadership and discipline, exactly what suburban teenage boys get nowhere else. An amazing school, very near perfect!

Last modified Marmion Academy is a Private school that serves grades 9-12