East High School

Public | 9-12 | 3346 students

Posted May 10, 2014

Im not currently in this school but will be in a year, Based on the reviews I've read this school doesn't seem that good. I know High school is a tough place to be at but I didnt know it was this bad.

Posted March 23, 2014

Since I have been back from the Army I have never in my life seen East Aurora High school so low with everything! It was rated the worse in Aurora. I was very hurt by this I graduated in 87 and now my kids go there. My kids tell me it's the students bringing the schools rep down not the teachers. More parents need to get involved in what their own kids are doing. I went to a basketball games and I swear I thought I was in the hood! The kids with so much disrespect was hurtful. So don't blame the school you blame the parents for not getting involved with their kids and raising them to respect people!

Posted June 6, 2013

I am a recent graduate of East High and am now attending DePaul University. Reading the reviews below are heartbreaking and mean. The system that all schools use is the problem. Punishment is not the answer for tardiness at any school. Taking students out of class for being late to class will not get students motivated, behavioral problems are prominent at East and taking students out of class to be punished is not going to lead to a rise in test scores. This goes for all high schools. There are limited number of honor / AP classes here and that is due to the lack of funding, segregating student into the "good" and "bad" students. I truly believe there is a better sense of community at East than most high schools in the area, yes there are some ignorant students, but you will find these students at any high school. My cousin went to Waubonsie and we are BOTH going to DePaul now. The parents need to understand that the students need to take advantage of their resources. I did, and I am proud to be a Tomcat Alumni.

Posted June 5, 2013

The real deal of East is this: the teachers are great, there is a math teacher whose IQ is measured at 165. There are exceptions to this but for the most part the teachers are fine. There are intelligent students here who struggle with dealing with the district's way of handling things. I am not just another dumb student, I received the districts first student Image Ambassador Award, I've been apart of the Magnet Academy, and I've been enrolled in NJROTC and the Band program. The Superintendent gets paid $258.5 k a year almost twice what the average Illinois Superintendent gets paid. Some of the finances are on the taxpayers since they don't want to pay more. The taxpayers turned down buses for the district. East High is a great school but because of the people in charge the school suffers. Two more years with the scores that we have and the school will be closed. So the people in charge are trying to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks and it makes all the student suffer. The school won't prepare you academically for college so those who succeed at East sometimes struggle to adapt to college life. Nonetheless East is my alma mater and I won't tell anyone otherwise.

Posted March 29, 2013

I am currently a Freshman attending East Aurora. I would not even consider giving this school a good review. Let's start off with the school's system. If you are two minutes late for class, instead of giving you a pass to go to class, they put you in ABI, which is a room full of unmotivated students. You'll have to stay there for the whole period. I've been late a couple of times and I found this ridiculous! That's not even the worst part! The school is falling apart and the school is too cheap to fix the situation. I could take the unstructured building, I could take the idiotic school system, but I cannot stand the students. I have to admit, some are friendly and rather nice, but majority of them are violent, mean, and just shady. I am PROUD to say that next year, I will be attending Metea Valley High School. .... Sorry for the rant.

Posted November 18, 2012

Transfered here from a school ranked 9 out of 10 on here. this school is mediocre at best. My current chemistry teacher sits at his desk and eats McDonalds during my hour while teaching. Other than that; it's the students who make the school bad. I'm constantly made fun of for being white (it's only 6% White), along with constant fighting among students (they are broken up quickly though). The worst part is; only 59% of Students graduate. But like I said; mediocre at best.

Posted January 12, 2011

The classes at this school are just not very good. My sister transferred from here to Waubonsie when we moved and had a horrible time adjusting because so much more was expected of her. She had been a straight A student at East, but struggled to maintain even an average position in her classes at Waubonsie. She had never even heard of many of the things that students there had been expected to learn years ago. Granted, Waubonsie is a spectacular school. But no school should be so horrible that the curriculums across grades have literally nothing in common. If you're just moving to Aurora now, please try to live in District 204 (so your kids will go to Metea, Neuqua, or Waubonsie for high school). If you're concerned about the pricing of real estate in these areas, let me assure that there are some affordable apartments in District 204 and it is well worth finding them.

Posted October 5, 2010

The East Aurora school staff are excellent. The NJROTC program is the best nationwide. This school really works with the kids, makes them strive to their fullest potential and really embraces our future leaders.

Posted October 5, 2009

I am a gradute of East Aurora High School, and I received a wonderful education there. I would love to see my old high school receive a grant!

Posted June 3, 2009

The spelling & grammar used by students in these reviews for East Aurora should speak for itself. The students of the East Aurora school district are not taught anything. Their writing & standardized test scores prove this time and time again. Proud to be a tomcat? Not hardly!

Posted June 2, 2009

Theirs many things people say about east aurora high school but im a student that acttually sees everything and i do belive the kids are unresponsible and dont have respect (some of them) but its not only their fault its also their parents because thats what they saw in their home ,but also it could be their friends , im a B student and i havent found my self in any problems,and Responsible and respectfull,and have been involved in many things.And im proud to be a Tomcat!

Posted March 2, 2009

I have a daughter that is a Senior at East. What I have noticed over the years is that the biggest problem in the school is the students. Most of them have no respect for authority at all and don't care about education. My daughter finds herself defending the teachers on a daily basis. She will actually yell at the kids that are being rude and disrespectful. Most of the staff are good people. They care about the students who respect them and want to learn. There are fights sometimes, but the staff does a great job of breaking them up rather quickly. When you put almost 3000 kids in one place there are bound to be altercations. Maybe the parents should spend more time teaching their kids respect for authority and the importance of education and East would be a better school!

Posted February 7, 2009

I'm a teacher who retired from East Aurora after having spent 24 of my 34 years in the high school. I found the teachers to be well-educated, hard-working, caring and dedicated individuals. I've personally known many who had the opportunity to go elsewhere and earn much more money, but chose to stay in East Aurora because they loved the students. While parent involvement isn't what it should be, it is getting better. Please keep in mind, however, that students need to be held accountable for their success in school, too. Too many times students, and sadly, some parents, want the teachers or administrators to 'do the work' for them, but that teaches the students nothing about subject matter, responsibility, or personal accountability. Having successful academic achievement takes work from students, teachers, and parents. When those three groups work together, great things will happen. Let's roll up our sleeves and get busy!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 6, 2009

I have a son in this school and he likes it very much. I have met most of his teacher and they all seem to care about the students interest. As for not being save, is unfortunate to say that no school is save now a days.

Posted December 20, 2008

The school is garbage!! I have a child who attends East Aurora. The school is the worst school around the area. The administration is uncaring about the children & about solving any problems. I am currently in the process of moving just so that my next child will not have to go to East Aurora. If you care anything about the safety of your children you will keep them as far away as possible from East Aurora!

Posted October 21, 2005

There are a vast majority of students here who don't care, have no respect for teachers or other adults, and lack any motivation. In my opinion administrators have lost control of the school, by focusing on the larger issues and ignoring the smaller ones. By doing this the smaller issues have gotten out of control.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 24, 2005

The Quality of academics over all is pretty average. What I mean by average normal schooling. They have many programs to help everyone at that school. Many music, art, sports, and other extracurricular activities. There is not much parent involvement at East Aurora so it lacks alot. Overall I ive the school a 3. Its improving day by day and will get better soon.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)8%
Students without disabilities25%
English language learners6%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

• Sheila Conrad

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

500 Tomcat Lane