Aurora, IL
Students enrolled: 3,346

East High School 1

Posted December 09, 2014
I am currently a senior who cannot wait to leave East High School. Please.. If you have the opportunity to send your child to a different school, please do so. This is an extremely unprepared and inappropriate school. The students have seemed to take over as the teachers act as if they don't care. Forget about becoming prepared for college here because it's not going to happen. I regret not attending West High. This school is a shameful product of the broken community that surrounds it.

Posted May 10, 2014
Im not currently in this school but will be in a year, Based on the reviews I've read this school doesn't seem that good. I know High school is a tough place to be at but I didnt know it was this bad.

East High School 4

Posted March 23, 2014
Since I have been back from the Army I have never in my life seen East Aurora High school so low with everything! It was rated the worse in Aurora. I was very hurt by this I graduated in 87 and now my kids go there. My kids tell me it's the students bringing the schools rep down not the teachers. More parents need to get involved in what their own kids are doing. I went to a basketball games and I swear I thought I was in the hood! The kids with so much disrespect was hurtful. So don't blame the school you blame the parents for not getting involved with their kids and raising them to respect people!

Posted June 06, 2013
I am a recent graduate of East High and am now attending DePaul University. Reading the reviews below are heartbreaking and mean. The system that all schools use is the problem. Punishment is not the answer for tardiness at any school. Taking students out of class for being late to class will not get students motivated, behavioral problems are prominent at East and taking students out of class to be punished is not going to lead to a rise in test scores. This goes for all high schools. There are limited number of honor / AP classes here and that is due to the lack of funding, segregating student into the "good" and "bad" students. I truly believe there is a better sense of community at East than most high schools in the area, yes there are some ignorant students, but you will find these students at any high school. My cousin went to Waubonsie and we are BOTH going to DePaul now. The parents need to understand that the students need to take advantage of their resources. I did, and I am proud to be a Tomcat Alumni.

Posted June 05, 2013
The real deal of East is this: the teachers are great, there is a math teacher whose IQ is measured at 165. There are exceptions to this but for the most part the teachers are fine. There are intelligent students here who struggle with dealing with the district's way of handling things. I am not just another dumb student, I received the districts first student Image Ambassador Award, I've been apart of the Magnet Academy, and I've been enrolled in NJROTC and the Band program. The Superintendent gets paid $258.5 k a year almost twice what the average Illinois Superintendent gets paid. Some of the finances are on the taxpayers since they don't want to pay more. The taxpayers turned down buses for the district. East High is a great school but because of the people in charge the school suffers. Two more years with the scores that we have and the school will be closed. So the people in charge are trying to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks and it makes all the student suffer. The school won't prepare you academically for college so those who succeed at East sometimes struggle to adapt to college life. Nonetheless East is my alma mater and I won't tell anyone otherwise.

Posted March 29, 2013
I am currently a Freshman attending East Aurora. I would not even consider giving this school a good review. Let's start off with the school's system. If you are two minutes late for class, instead of giving you a pass to go to class, they put you in ABI, which is a room full of unmotivated students. You'll have to stay there for the whole period. I've been late a couple of times and I found this ridiculous! That's not even the worst part! The school is falling apart and the school is too cheap to fix the situation. I could take the unstructured building, I could take the idiotic school system, but I cannot stand the students. I have to admit, some are friendly and rather nice, but majority of them are violent, mean, and just shady. I am PROUD to say that next year, I will be attending Metea Valley High School. .... Sorry for the rant.

Posted November 18, 2012
Transfered here from a school ranked 9 out of 10 on here. this school is mediocre at best. My current chemistry teacher sits at his desk and eats McDonalds during my hour while teaching. Other than that; it's the students who make the school bad. I'm constantly made fun of for being white (it's only 6% White), along with constant fighting among students (they are broken up quickly though). The worst part is; only 59% of Students graduate. But like I said; mediocre at best.

East High School 1

Posted January 12, 2011
The classes at this school are just not very good. My sister transferred from here to Waubonsie when we moved and had a horrible time adjusting because so much more was expected of her. She had been a straight A student at East, but struggled to maintain even an average position in her classes at Waubonsie. She had never even heard of many of the things that students there had been expected to learn years ago. Granted, Waubonsie is a spectacular school. But no school should be so horrible that the curriculums across grades have literally nothing in common. If you're just moving to Aurora now, please try to live in District 204 (so your kids will go to Metea, Neuqua, or Waubonsie for high school). If you're concerned about the pricing of real estate in these areas, let me assure that there are some affordable apartments in District 204 and it is well worth finding them.

Posted October 05, 2010
The East Aurora school staff are excellent. The NJROTC program is the best nationwide. This school really works with the kids, makes them strive to their fullest potential and really embraces our future leaders.

Posted October 27, 2009

East High School
500 Tomcat Lane, Aurora, IL  60505
Last modified East High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top