Olney C Allen Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 866 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 23, 2013

This school does everything they can with the resources they have. Given a better opportunity and resources the school would thrive.

Posted August 22, 2013

This school has great potential. I think there is a high percentage of parents who believe the school is solely responsible for the education of their children. Let's step up to the plate.

Posted July 9, 2013

I was here ever since preschool till 5th grade and now i moved district and now i go to district 204. And i love that school its always a school ill never forge -janelli parra

Posted June 10, 2013

I was a preschool and kindergarten student here in 2005 and 2006, I'm 12 years old now. I really like Mrs.Potenberg (although I wasn't the best student,) I wish I could keep in contact with my old teachers... but I moved to Alaska 5 years ago. Oh well. -Kelli Anne D.-

Posted November 21, 2008

I wasn't going to write anything but after looking at the scores in Reading, Math and Science for the last three years and seeing those statistics, I could not help but to comment. Those of you who have children attending a school in a district that not only hasn't exceeded average in scores but hasn't even met average in three core academic areas. This is truely appalling, you parents are the ones that need to stand at city hall and demand to know where your tax dollars are being spent...not in that school my friends. Three principles in 5 years, something smells bad. Check under the tab 'Test Score' at the top for yourself. WOW. Very sad that there aren't even scores to compare with.

Posted September 18, 2008

I have two children @ OC Allen. My oldest is in first grade&my youngest is in Pre-K4. I feel so blest to have had the opporunity for my children to attend school in district 131. Both children have been part of the 'free' preschool program which is fabulous. I love that our Grade School&district participate in the Character Counts and PBIS programs. I feel OC Allen offers a positive environment to our children. The teachers are informed & available, the vice principal & principal are engaged. What makes our district special is that it promotes community school unity w/ after school activities that bring all the school in dist 131 together. My 1st grader, reads like a champ and has been adding and subtracting since late Pre-K4 & early K. My Pre-K4 is starting to read and loves to print her letters and count. Everyday I sing OC Allen's/District praises.

Posted June 24, 2008

I have been very happy with my children's education at Allen School. I particularly believe that the leadership provided by Mrs. Mink and Mr. Rodriguez has helped set a high standard for the teachers and the students. It is too bad that Mrs. Mink is leaving Allen School. She was a wonderful principal and she will be missed. The school district should do more to keep quality leaders like her. I am also disappointed that Mr. Rodriguez is not going to be the next principal. I am hoping the new principal will keep his/her expectations high for the teachers and students so Allen can continue to be the kind of school where I am proud to send my children.

Posted May 5, 2008

Both of my children and my husband attended and attends Olney C Allen School in Aurora Illinois. In my opinion it is not the area that makes the school successful, but the dedication from the the faculty and the students. Allen continues to make tremendous strides in the area of improvement. This year (2008) has proven to be a excellent year in the way of education for my daughter. Mrs. Callahan really has challenged her third grade class in everyway. As dauting as it is on me as a parent, I appreciate her pushing the children to make them go the extra mile. These are the children that hold our future and every child deserves the right to be the reciepent of an exceptional educator.

Posted January 5, 2008

Before my child entered Allen School I heard the horror stories , the school is great ! my child loves Mrs. Pettit and is very excited to go to class every day

Posted November 14, 2007

Like 'Hopeful Parent', we also live in Oakhurst Meadows and planned to move when we realize that my daughter will be going to Allen. After reading the bad reviews I was not ready to let my daughter enroll at Allen. But after months of discussion, we agreed to give it a try. My daughter is also in Mrs. Van Cura's (afternoon class). After all the worry, I am happy to say that Allen is not that bad at all. My daughter just absolutely adore Mrs. V. I like their weekly assignments because its a good guide on what to teach my daughter. They have lots of stuff going on that motivates her like being chosen as 'Letter-Sound Expert' . I am confident that with the parent's help & support to the school Allen will do great which will benefit our kids and the community. - Mrs. Confident.

Posted September 27, 2007

We as parents need to get involved in the school, especially if we want things to change.I was very skeptical about sending my daughter to Allen, especially since when we bought our home in Oakhurst Meadows we were told we'd be in a diff. district!We also contemplated moving, but decided to challenge ourselves and after much prayer and discussions with my husband, decided to see what we can do to help out instead of keeping the trend going.My daughter is in Ms. V's kinder class & absolutely loves it! There's good communication from the school-so far.I know there are many stay at home moms in hometown, I know Allen could use volunteers!I work full-time but plan on taking vac days to volunteer. -Hopeful Parent!

Posted September 13, 2007

Allen School has a dedicated staff towards educating all children. I agree with what some of the parents have said in this forum however, posting on a website when you have nothing positive to say is not a solution to the problems encountered. There are many administrators, teachers, and other staff members in the school that can help. Introducing yourself to others and discussing problems within the school environment is a much more proactive way to getting your child's needs met.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2007

My daughter has been in Ms. Potenberg's class as well as Mrs. Oostman's class. I absolutely love those two teachers. They have really done alot to teach my daughter as much as they can and I have seen an hugw improvement in her academically, as well as socially. I also adore the office staff, especially Mrs. Munch. They are the best group of ladies I've ever met! The rest of the school, however, is a disaster. The communication is a mess. The principal does not have the children's best interest in mind and doesn't judge each child individually versus by her own personal experience. You're treated like an idiot parent by her. I'm so embarrassed telling people that we're in District 131. We're moving in order to get our kids a better education. I love Hometown, but cannot stand our schools. And don't even get me started on the middle/high schools!

Posted May 1, 2007

I am highly disappointed in the education that my son has received at Allen. Thank goodness we're moving out of district 131. I know my son will finally receive a good public school education!

Posted September 25, 2006

I bought in hometown subdivision, & I am not proud to tell others that I live in district 131 or my child attends allen school. The school is in a low income. There is very little business support for the school.

Posted August 5, 2006

Allen School offers great programs, from which my son has benefited in speech therapy and reading help. (Thanks Ms.Denny & Mrs. Belford!) The PTO meets monthly in English & Spanish. All parents are encouraged to participate. The PTO, school, and Cub Scout Troop 313 provide several events throughout the year; Dances, plays, music, reading nights, and field trips. Lots of fun. The school has added 8 new classrooms. The new Principle, Mrs. Mink, has done a great job of implementing a new level of discipline and respect in teachers and students in her 2 years there. The school issues Panther Paws (a point system) to students exhibiting desirable behavior. Communication is excellent. They schedule 4 conferences. There is a nightly homework log in which you can write notes to the teacher. I always know what homework is required. I can always reach the teacher. Allen School has earned my respect.Thanks!

Posted May 31, 2006

Allen Elementary School has an excellent kindergarten staff. Especially Mrs. Potenberg, she is a commited teacher devoted to helping every child to the utmost of their ability. She has excellent communication skills and is not only capable of working with the children but also communicates with the parents. I did not find this same level of concern for the individual child in the Allen Elementary administration.

Posted March 17, 2006

I took a tour of this school & the staff was great but it does bother me that 69% of the students are from low income families & my children would be in the minority.

Posted April 26, 2005

Allen school does not offer enough for children who have minor disibilities like ADD and ADHD. We have been trying to get my son in with a social worker there for 2 years now and no one will budge to help. He has a hard time making friends and since the majority of the children at this school are bullies we are forced to sell our house in hometown and move to give our son a better chance in a better school district. I would not recommmend anyone to subject their children to East Aurora schools. If I had known about this I would have never of bought in hometown. They do have great teachers but not enough supervision at recess and at lunch time to many trouble makers to keep up with. The parents need to start teaching their children right from wrong and then Allen School will be successful.

Posted April 16, 2005

I am very pleased with the positive changes that are going on in Allen School. My daughter is a Second Grader there and I appreciate all the efforts set forth by the teachers and parents. the homework books and the weekly progress reports keep you up to date on your childs education and behavior. I am excited to see the new addition next year and the positive impact all of the new parents and new communities will have on the school. I wish the web site would have up to date demographics because it is definately different each year.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

All Students25%

Non-low income84%
Students with disabilities (IEP)11%
Students without disabilities40%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students26%

Asian 4% 4%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Nancy Bradish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

700 South Farnsworth Avenue