No rating

Fox Valley Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 105 students

Individual Discovery

Living in Aurora

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $118,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted August 25, 2013

My son transferred from public to FVMS and he loves it he is a happy 5th grader the care and attention to his education is great. We have nothing but positive experiences.

Posted May 23, 2013

My child attends FVMS in the preschool program. This is our third preschool, so we have experienced what else is out there. This school has so much to offer for children that really need individual attention. Most preschoolers do and the staff is very aware of that. They were so welcoming of our family being new to the Montessori method and the area. Our questions are always answered and we never feel we can't come to a staff member for anything. Montessori schools have a very particular method and they really want you to feel comfortable understanding that, as well as, knowing you are making the right decision for your child and family. We know that their hearts are in it for the children and that assures us this is a wonderful school!

Posted August 14, 2012

My children have attended FVMS for the past 5 years and I feel very fortunate to have found this school. The parents are friendly and involved, the teachers are caring and Montessori trained, and the staff is flexible for working parents. I looked carefully at all of our options and I can definitely say that this was a better choice than any other in our area.

Posted February 13, 2011

I went to the school for almost nine years and I loved every day of it. This is my first year away and it has been a change but I am very glad that so much of my learnign experience is from this school. It has a great learning program, wonderful teachers, and is very safe. You are very socially involved and get one-on-one time with the teacher whenever you need it. The school has taught me many of the main things that I would need to get through life and be able to leave and feel assured that I will make it though whatever I have to inthe future. Fox Valley Montessori is a wonderful school and I would recemend it to anyone that asks.

Posted February 26, 2010

I also visited other Montessori schools in the area. I chose Fox Valley Montessori because of the warm welcoming atmosphere. However, this school has some quirks that parents need to be aware of. There is obvious evidence of a leaky roof. My son is constantly being brought to me in the car line with his shoes on the wrong feet. When I brought this up they shrugged it off and said that it was a 'self correcting' situation. I have witnessed a child not more than 3 years old led out to her mother's waiting car with her coat on upside down--in 20 degree weather. The child was too young to realize why her coat did not fit correctly. The result was not self correction, but a cold child. I have also witnessed children working with letter and number works upside down or sideways.

Posted April 10, 2009

After a careful review of the area's Montessori schools I found Fox Valley Montessori. A few of the key differences that makes this school stand out from other Montessori and other private schools, is their commitment to ensure that each child's individual needs are met, a commitment to professional excellence for their teachers and staff, and that this is a true school community versus a daycare community. They walk the walk when it comes to adhering to the basic principals of Maria Montessori. My child thrives at this school under the careful guidance from his teacher and asst. teacher. The office staff are always warm and welcoming and are always there to help me.

Posted February 25, 2009

My daughter attends this school and I don't think there is another one around like it. She learns so much every day. I came into observe unscheduled and saw my daughter get more than 30 mins one on one time with the head teacher in the class room because she wasnt interested in running around the gym for too long with the other kids. Her teacher works miracles and somehow convinced her that bottles were for babies and she came home no longer needing it. The communication is a bit strange as I will get invitations for things after they happen but the important stuff is excellent!

Posted July 28, 2008

FVMS is a haven for my son in a time of great personal distress in his life. He started the toddler program last year with a very strong head teacher and excellent assistants. He moved up in the second semester to a wonderfull primary teacher. I am overjoyed that this stability will continue in the same class this year. The head teachers are highly trained and hold AMS certification. The assistants are also montessori trained as well. This has made a world of diffrence from the Montessori school he used to attend. The teachers and staff are open to all parental concerns and are lovingly dedicated to their jobs. I can rest easy leaving him there, knowing he is safe and loved. Needless to say, academically and socially he is more advanced than his peers in regular daycare or nanny care. Strong leadership and great team spirit make this school work.

Posted October 23, 2007

I truly love this school. My children are not only getting a great private Montessori education, but are also building great friendships. Before choosing this school, I had looked at other Montessori Schools that offer an elementary program. From the moment I walked into the door, I knew this was the school home that I was looking for. The building, although dated, is well maintained, the classrooms spacious, the teachers have a strong commitment to educational excellence, the leadership is top notch, they are a non-profit school, and they even have a gym. This is a hidden gem.

Posted October 10, 2007

I believe that this school does not truely look out for the students that attend. There is no communication between the students/parents and the school itself. I believe that this school does not comply with the Montessori customs of teaching our young children. A total lack of care has been expressed in certain cases and trust and respect issues have been distinguished. It is the responsibility of the school and the staff to make this environment a positive one and this school has failed to do that.

Posted May 30, 2007

Wonderful school! The staff is loving and caring, truly commited to the individual needs of each child. Curriculum is strong and the quality of the facilities and the environment in general is very impressive. Our son has blossomed in this school, they are the best second family he could have!

Posted February 22, 2006

I've had 3 kids here. Great alternative to public education. Willing to meet individual needs of your child whether they're ahead or behind. Kind, inclusive environment without the headaches found in public school.

Posted December 28, 2005

A Great learning environment for all children.

Posted October 26, 2005

Great school for early learners. Children are treated with respect and kindness. All aspects of the Montessori curriculum are employed. Caring, well trained staff of dedicated teachers makes this a wonderful place to learn.

Posted August 26, 2005

This is a Pre School - 6th grade Montessori school with many of the extra-curricular activities found in larger public schools like band, choir, physical education, etc. The teaching staff is very committed and annual testing is performed for grades 3 & 5. On average, students score at least one grade or more above their actual grade in all areas. Students graduate with knowledge which exceeds the standard reading, writing, math, and science. There is a heavy focus on geography and cultural diversity in the world as well as foregin languages and sign language. The average classroom size is 21-25 pupils with one full time teacher and one full time teacher helper. Music, Spanish, Art, and Science are a part of the core curriculum as well. I would recommend this school to anyone!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 14% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Denise Monnier
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS
Fax number
  • (630) 896-8104

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None

Staff resources available to students
Transportation options
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Cub scouts

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis