No rating

Immanuel Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 231 students

Christian education with strong academics

Living in Batavia

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted today

I trust that my children are in loving hands when I drop them off at Immanuel. This school means fellowship with friends (both for myself and my children), a quality and challenging academic schedule, and an opportunity to further develop spiritually as bold children of God.

Posted February 20, 2014

Immanuel Lutheran School offers an excellent education to its students. Not only does my child receive a solid religious education, but he is highly challenged in academics. The teachers find ways to use a variety of methods and technology to reach all students. They also take the time to get to know each of their students and find ways to meet their learning needs. The teachers are also kind and caring. They not ony look out for the educational needs of their students, but also the emotional. My family recently went through a tough time. Immanuel's teachers and staff were there to help my family in their time of need! I highly recommend Immanuel Lutheran School to anyone I meet!

Posted February 18, 2014

I have three children that attend Immanuel. They are receiving an excellent education here. They are challenged academically. There are very caring teachers at Immanuel. They always put the children's learning first and want to work with the child to help make them be successful. I love the Christian education my children get at Immanuel. They come home singing the songs that they have sung in the classroom and at chapel. There are also many extra curricular activities available to the children that attend Immanuel. I would recommend Immanuel to anyone.

Posted February 18, 2014

We love this school. Three of our kids have graduated from Immanuel and are currently enrolled in Honors and AP classes at Batavia HS. We believe the outstanding education they received at Immanuel is the reason. Our youngest child is currently attending Immanuel Lutheran's middle school and is involved with the exceptional orchestra program. We are pleased with the studies and extra curricular offerings for Immanuel Lutheran students and would highly recommend this school to anyone wanting a great education and atmosphere for their children.

Posted February 13, 2014

This is a mediocre school. The biggest weakness is the quality of instruction in the middle school grades. My wife and I pulled our kids in 7th grade along with 12 other school families because our pleas to the school leadership for teacher accountability in 6-8 grades fell on deaf ears. In 5th grade my daughter was in a class of 28 students and after 7th grade it was down to 10. The school families that vacated did so because they believed it was a preparatory school with a fare majority of them having to put their 7th & 8th grade bounded students in summer school for remedial math and english instruction. The schools digital footprint is woefully inadequate in preparing kids to master computer-based learning and achieving technical competence required of most high schools. Don't handicap your child by enrolling them in this school with the likelihood you will have to transfer them once they reach middle school. If you insist on checking them out, ask them for enrollment numbers in their current 7 & 8 grade classes. The repeated exodus of students from their middle school is an annual end of the year ritual at this school and should be a red flag and a real cause for concern.

Posted February 7, 2014

We reviewed a number of area schools before selecting Immanuel for our children. We are not members of the Church and looked at other parochial, gifted, and the public schools. We several criteria in selecting the school. Academics: the school uses a good mix of traditional and computer based learning. I am shocked by friends in other schools who tell me how much emphasis is placed on things that can be learned later in life, to the detriment of establishing neural pathways through traditional curriculum. As an educator in graduate and undergraduate schools (since 1991), I have noticed a rapid decline in the ability of students to write logically, and to utilize punctuation at very basic levels. The curriculum at Immanuel, will help students in the long run with critical thinking and writing skills. STEM is emphasized as well. Enrichment: The Orchestra program is phenomenal; the Band program is growing too. Foreign Language and Art also are offered. Athletics: Numerous opportunities for students to play sports, even at a younger grade. Girls Cross Country took second in State and National competitions. Working Parent Support: Before/After school care and hot lunches.

Posted February 4, 2014

I have three children who have grown up at Immanuel Lutheran School. While no place on earth is perfect, ILS was perfect for my children. Now post ILS, they have been faced with peer/social pressures to make un-christian choices. My children have been able to draw strength on their strong moral foundation and walk away from these temptations. They received in part, this strong moral basis from their years spent at ILS. I have always found it to be a blessing that my child's school was on my side, preaching and teaching the same my same values. The sacrifices we made were well worth it for our kids to receive such a strong start on their life's journey. They are on their way to become successful, responsible young adults and we give much credit to ILS in helping them in the earliest years. If you are considering a Christian education, I urge you to consider ILS.

Posted February 4, 2014

I have had a student at Immanuel Batavia for 10 years. She will be in high school in the fall. Although many of her classmates have transferred to public schools the past two years, we chose to keep her here. The education at Immanuel has been excellent. She will be more than prepared when she starts at a college prep high school next year, probably in honors classes. I have found the teachers and support staff to be wonderful, Christian people. I am also a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church. What a wonderful feeling it is to see not only the principal of the school, but also most of the staff sitting in church with me on Sunday morning. My children's teachers are not just the people who educate Monday through Friday. But, they are also friends and fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who believe what I believe. And they want to share the love of Jesus with their students as well.

Posted January 25, 2013

Immanuel Lutheran School's education is outstanding! When we started at Immanuel, our oldest daughter was in Kindergarten and our youngest daughter was in preschool. Our oldest is now in high school with our youngest in middle school at Immanuel. Words can not begin to express the exceptional experience we have had the last nine and a half years. The principal and teachers are incredible and truly loving and caring. They go above and beyond to help every student. The curriculum is very challenging and does an excellent job at preparing the students for high school. Our oldest daughter has found the transition to high school to be very easy. She is well ahead of many of the other students in her class. Immanuel also has a great sports program which they can begin playing in fifth grade. Last but definitely not least, the Christian environment and education they receive is priceless. When they graduate, they will have a strong faith in Jesus and a true christian foundation that they will carry with them forever. We highly recommend Immanuel Lutheran School!

Posted January 14, 2013

I can't say enough about this wonderful school. As a former home school family, I was looking for a great school to transition my kids to. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. We are still here 6 grades later! The teachers are kind, compassionate and well educated. The facility is modern, bright and offers everything I could have asked for. I knew I wanted a Christian education with all the trimming for my family and I absolutely found it!! I am very luck I found such a great place.

Posted January 14, 2013

Our two daughters began at Immanuel Lutheran School in Batavia at the three year old preschool level. Our oldest is now in high school and our youngest is now in seventh grade. Immanuel Lutheran in Batavia is outstanding. As our oldest daughter is now in high school, we can see that she was extremely well prepared by the Immanuel teachers. While many high school students are now learning the fundamentals of a research paper, our daughter was already very comfortable with the process. We see the same level of advancement in math, grammar, and other skills as well. Also, we have never seen children enjoy school as much as our kids have enjoyed Immanuel. When our youngest daughter was in four year old preschool through third grade, she insisted that we bring her to school early every day so that she would have time to visit each of her previous teachers to give a hug to each of them. They continued to appreciate their school during the other years as well. We highly recommend Immanuel Lutheran School for its quality education and Christian values.

Posted January 14, 2013

I have two children that attend Immanuel Lutheran school. Both started in the preschool program at age 3. We originally moved to Batavia for their public school program, but after attending Immanuel pre-school, we knew that Immanuel provided what we wanted for our children. The curriculum is excellent. Both of my children were given extra attention in first grade for reading. They now are both excellent, enthusiastic readers. The school not only offers an excellent curriculum, but many extracurricular activities: Foreign languages, sports, band, and orchestra, to name a few. The teachers are all extremely loving and truly care for your child. The fact that my children are receiving an excellent education with a genuine Christian focus is a blessing to our family. I thank God everyday for the environment that Immanuel Lutheran School and Church provide for my children and family.

Posted May 2, 2006

I have 3 children (Pre-k, 1st and 3rd;2005/06)attending Immanuel Lutheran in Batavia, IL and I cannot find enough positive things to say about our experience. The school does go through 8th grade; this year will be the 3rd graduating class. The children and teachers adhere to the highest standards of teaching and morality. The Iowa Basics test scores reflect some of the highest nationally. Parent involvement is encouraged and very alive at our school.Parents are welcomed in any classroom to help or observe.Band is available starting in grade 4, there is an art/science lab, computer lab and sports begin at the 5th grade level.The best part about Immanuel is what my children bring home daily and that is knowing that Jesus died for their sins and he loves each one of us.The love they experience at school is a reflection of what is at home,you can't put a price on that!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State Recognition (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Glenn A Steinbrenner
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (630) 879-7614

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parent-Teacher League
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom