Belvidere, IL

Posted April 02, 2014
My child did not want to come to this school because the school he went to for years was closed. However, to both his and my surprise, he loves it! His teacher is fantastic, he loves the hands on activities, and I have had nothing but good interactions from the rest of the staff. I was pleasantly surprised.

Washington Academy 1

Posted December 11, 2013
My children attended another school in the district last year and we loved that school. Unfortunately the district closed a school and this year my children were sent to Washington. I have nothing positive to say what so ever. Poor Communication from teachers even if you send a note or call they are not responsive. Concerns about the school have been addressed with the district administration they are aware of the issues but do nothing to address them. Very low moral with students and staff, you walk in everyone looks miserable. They do not allow participation in dressing up for Halloween even for the little ones. The only fun holiday activity was cancelled day of without notice disappointing the children. It's difficult to get your kids excited about school and learning when the school they attend does not foster that attitude. My daughter asks me once a week when she can go to her old school. It's very sad we may pull them out over winter break if an alternative can be found but they will defiantly not go here next year. Making Washington elementary a stem and calling it Washington Academy has changed nothing.

Washington Academy 4

Posted November 29, 2012
I feel I made the best decision possible for my children as they were in need of a challenge in school. The teachers and staff are wonderful and engage my children on a daily basis. Is there a diverse culture at this school...? Yes! And I love that they get to meet people from different background and learn from each other. They are learning to be leaders in a new technological world and are challenged to make a difference - not to just deal with things the way they are. Problem solving, thinking, and learning WHY are just some of the reasons Washington Academy is succeeding. Another reason is the increase in parental involvement and awesome support from parents, staff and the community. Great choice for parents wanting their kids to be challenged and have hands-on learning!! The uniforms are just a bonus ;-)

Washington Academy 2

Posted February 22, 2012
keep in mind the dates of these reviews. Now this school is an Academy. I don't know how it is now, but my child has to go there because its our district. I don't like the hours, but I still dont know if I like the school.

Posted July 27, 2009

Washington Academy 2

Posted May 24, 2009

Washington Academy 3

Posted April 13, 2009
I sent my sons to the At Risk program at Washington. I felt lucky to get them in. Classes were well run; caring teachers; and I knew the director from elsewhere. However, the building is run down, the population largely non English speaking, and it is one of the largest elementary schools in the state -- you are a number only to the office and bus driver, etc.

Posted July 29, 2007
- a former student
I personally believe that Washington Elementary School is one of the best schools a child can attend in northern Illinois. Besides the issues of traffic and population, this school is excellent. I had 2 daughters who attended this school, one completed kindergarten through 5th grade and the other started at pre-school and ended in kindergarten. The reason for this was because we had moved, so my youngest daughter had to transfer within the district. Let me just say that Washington had awesome teacher support. Every teacher my kids had strived for parent support, which made my children, along with others, prosper. Because of this school, my kids are now exceptionally talented.

Washington Academy 1

Posted June 04, 2006
This school had to many children and not properly staffed to meet the needs.

Washington Academy 4

Posted April 10, 2006
I can't stress enough how impressed I am with the faculty at Washington Elementary. I have two special needs children and everyone went above my expectations to make sure their needs were met. They worked very hard to create an academic program that would be appropriate for both my daughters and they've excelled since this has been done.

Washington Academy
1031 5th Avenue, Belvidere, IL  61008
Last modified Washington Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top