Bad
Good

Sunnyside Elementary School 2

Posted January 12, 2016
This school makes me hate that I purchased a home in this area. The whole process of transferring my child into the district and dealing with a non-responsive, less than patient 4th grade teacher has given me nothing but headaches the past 5 months. It seems the students are constantly being thrown material that surpasses their level of understanding just to say it was covered; however they are not mastering the material. A teacher even admitted that majority of the students aren't testing well on the mandated tests, and they are rigorous....well, shouldn't that raise some concerns about their approach??? Especially since it seems test scores in the school are on a continous decline based on the Illinois report card site. I spend my evenings re-teaching most work that comes home. I have expressed concerns with son's teacher about his lack of progress as he seems to have dramatically declined overall since attending this school, and he has been insisting that he hates the school and wants to go back to his old school. While I tried to be patient and give my son time to adjust, thinking he would get over it, I now hate the school, its nonchalant principal, and son's teacher who lacks patience with the children and does not respond to my questions or concerns. I have NEVER felt the need to send my child to private school, but I now feel it is a necessity, including never allowing my 2 younger sons to ever set foot in this place.

Sunnyside Elementary School 3

Posted March 23, 2015
I am pleased with Ms. Tortora and Ms. Kohout. They are really trying to promote a positive attitude. They bullying is taken very serious and doesn't seem to be a major problem. The teachers really are fantastic and determined to help the kids. I gave it 3 stars because of SOME of the horrible parents.

Sunnyside Elementary School 5

Posted June 22, 2014
I had to make a difficult decision in moving my 2 boys from private to public school. I wasn't happy with the school that they were in and wasn't sure about moving them to Sunnyside because of the overall score of the school. I stepped out on faith and transferred my boys at the beginning of the second quarter. It was the best decision I could have made. I thought my 5th grader was having some trouble that the private school didn't recognize and within the first month at Sunnyside his new teacher called recommending that my son see a reading specialist. The school had one on site. My 2nd grader continued to excel and adjusted well to the new environment. They both did. I am grateful for both of the teachers that they had during their first year. We'll see what the next school year bring.

Sunnyside Elementary School 5

Posted May 21, 2014
My daughter will be finishing her first year of k and has had a wonderful experience. Her teacher was on top of things and communicated very well with me. They want the kids to excel, my daughter can already read same books. Most of the teachers hold a masters degree.

Sunnyside Elementary School 1

Posted March 29, 2011
We had our child at this school. The teachers yell at the kids and have an oveall "I don't care attitude". The academics is poor! Teachers don't want the parents involvement, only at a surface level. There's more time spent on the rainbow club (new age indocrination). They are trying to push this inclusive, acceept everything attitude. The previous principal "Dr. Trotter" was really good, but when she left, it really went down. Many of the kids are really bade and disrupts the class for those who want to learn. There's also too much bullying!!!! More needs to be done about it. This could be a really good public school, but it has poor leadership, too many poor teachers and non-involved parents. I would not recommend sending your child here, especially if you are a Christian.

Posted June 22, 2007
I found Sunnyside Elementary to be both satisfactory and disappointing. It truly depends on the teacher and their dedication and interest in their students. My first child had excellent k-2nd grade teachers, and is doing great in school. My second child's teacher was unorganized and did not recognize that my child needed help. If you plan to have your children attend Sunnyside, please be prepared to be 100% involved in every aspect of their education.

Posted March 10, 2005
I love Sunnyside. I have had three children go there, and they did well. The principal knows each child by name. The staff shows concern for the students.There are a lot of after school programs to help the kids that need it. More parents should become involved in the PTA, because it directly benefits the children,and OUR SCHOOL. Thanks to all the teachers,Sandy, Ann, Karen and Mr. Paul for making my childrens years in elementary school memorable ones. You guys are great.

Posted February 11, 2005
Sunnyside is a great school overall. I have two children there.If your child dosesn't succeed at Sunnyside it's because he/she doesn't want. Sunnyside offer different type of after school programs to help your child as much as needed. The principal as well as the teacher's are a well put together staff.

Sunnyside Elementary School
5412 Saint Charles Rd, Berkeley, IL  60163
Last modified Sunnyside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.