Berkeley, IL

Sunnyside Elementary School 5

Posted June 22, 2014
I had to make a difficult decision in moving my 2 boys from private to public school. I wasn't happy with the school that they were in and wasn't sure about moving them to Sunnyside because of the overall score of the school. I stepped out on faith and transferred my boys at the beginning of the second quarter. It was the best decision I could have made. I thought my 5th grader was having some trouble that the private school didn't recognize and within the first month at Sunnyside his new teacher called recommending that my son see a reading specialist. The school had one on site. My 2nd grader continued to excel and adjusted well to the new environment. They both did. I am grateful for both of the teachers that they had during their first year. We'll see what the next school year bring.

Sunnyside Elementary School 5

Posted May 21, 2014
My daughter will be finishing her first year of k and has had a wonderful experience. Her teacher was on top of things and communicated very well with me. They want the kids to excel, my daughter can already read same books. Most of the teachers hold a masters degree.

Posted March 29, 2011
We had our child at this school. The teachers yell at the kids and have an oveall "I don't care attitude". The academics is poor! Teachers don't want the parents involvement, only at a surface level. There's more time spent on the rainbow club (new age indocrination). They are trying to push this inclusive, acceept everything attitude. The previous principal "Dr. Trotter" was really good, but when she left, it really went down. Many of the kids are really bade and disrupts the class for those who want to learn. There's also too much bullying!!!! More needs to be done about it. This could be a really good public school, but it has poor leadership, too many poor teachers and non-involved parents. I would not recommend sending your child here, especially if you are a Christian.

Posted April 29, 2010

Posted January 17, 2009

Posted June 22, 2007
I found Sunnyside Elementary to be both satisfactory and disappointing. It truly depends on the teacher and their dedication and interest in their students. My first child had excellent k-2nd grade teachers, and is doing great in school. My second child's teacher was unorganized and did not recognize that my child needed help. If you plan to have your children attend Sunnyside, please be prepared to be 100% involved in every aspect of their education.

Posted March 10, 2005
I love Sunnyside. I have had three children go there, and they did well. The principal knows each child by name. The staff shows concern for the students.There are a lot of after school programs to help the kids that need it. More parents should become involved in the PTA, because it directly benefits the children,and OUR SCHOOL. Thanks to all the teachers,Sandy, Ann, Karen and Mr. Paul for making my childrens years in elementary school memorable ones. You guys are great.

Posted February 11, 2005
Sunnyside is a great school overall. I have two children there.If your child dosesn't succeed at Sunnyside it's because he/she doesn't want. Sunnyside offer different type of after school programs to help your child as much as needed. The principal as well as the teacher's are a well put together staff.

Posted October 21, 2004

Posted May 24, 2004

Sunnyside Elementary School
5412 Saint Charles Road, Berkeley, IL  60163
Last modified Sunnyside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunnyside Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top