Bolingbrook, IL

Posted November 20, 2014
I don't know why this school is rated so low. Both of my children go to this school and I have had great experiences with the staff. Most of the parents I've encountered that have an issue with this school is due to their children's behavior and not due to any failure from the school or its staff.

Posted October 20, 2014
Independence is a great school. My child was having some issues in the classroom and the staff was very attentive to my child's needs and they were very encouraging to me about his progress. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted February 20, 2010
This is a much better school than the average rating posted here. The principal is very responsive to parent needs and if parents make an effort to reach out to the teachers, they will work with you to help your child achieve. Unlike some of the more highly rated school districts surrounding Bolingbrook, this school and the district have a very racially and ethnically diverse student body. The teachers have many student needs to attend to. I think this school does a nice job of trying to meet the academic needs of all students. Parent involvement could be better. Not many parents make the effort to show up for Reading and Tech Nights. Student discipline is kept under control. My kids have not had any problems with teasing or bullying. Kids who do engage in this behavior are disciplined. Part of the curriculum addresses respect and good.

Independence Elementary School 1

Posted October 15, 2006

Posted September 02, 2006
I have found Independence to be a great place for children to learn and develop. I was very impressed with The Chicago Tribune article that ranked Independence as the leading public school in the state to diminish the achievement gap between the races. For the last 5 years, they have continued to have increased reading scores. They provide enrichment for those students that are advanced. They also have many intervention programs for students in need. I receive assessment results three times a year on my student's progress in reading as it compares nationally. That way I know exactly where my child is at and how much they have grown. The staff is very caring and committed to the students.

Posted September 02, 2006
The staff is very dedicated and caring. They teach the whole child- socially and academically. There are great opportunities. The principal is outside every day and takes time to know students individually.

Posted May 31, 2006

Posted April 11, 2006
Overall the school seems to be improving but there is still a lot of work to be done. The low test scores are a concern for me.

Independence Elementary School 4

Posted March 14, 2006
My child has attended Independence elementary for 2 years and loves it. The Principal (FD) and Vice-Principal (MF) are truly involved with all the students and they push to get good programs for them. Examples include early literacy identification and computer 'Smart Boards' for students. The staff is easily approachable. Music, art and phys ed are integrated into the curriculum. The school day is short, lunch and recess time is short.

Independence Elementary School 1

Posted May 16, 2004
I have recently pulled my children and due to the fact we can not afford private school, i have quit my job to home school. The problems at this school are too many to number. The principle always backs the teachers, even when it is clear they are wrong. And the racial prolems are outrages. Pulling my children was the best choice I ever made.

Independence Elementary School
230 South Orchard Drive, Bolingbrook, IL  60440
Last modified Independence Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top