Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 22, 2016
Mrs. Azure! She is very well organized and has been great with communication to the parents.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted February 22, 2016
I had only 1 out of 5 teachers that really delivered a good experience. Her teaching was very effective and it reflected on my child's grade reports.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted February 22, 2016
Too many times I find there is no homework because of a substitute teacher or a short week. We do not get homework for science or social studies in this school like other neighboring districts do.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted February 22, 2016
I feel that most of the teachers (not all) could push the kids to learn more in the classroom. The students are more determined to have a day off.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted February 22, 2016
I think fairness is a concern here. There seems to be favoring towards some students that are connected to family of school employees.

Independence Elementary School 2

Posted February 22, 2016
I see reviews that are old. My child started 1st grade here in 2012 and I've had problems with lazy teachers. It seems that many teachers here hardly want to work. I barely no anything my child studies in class because the teachers do not communicate anything to parents. For 2016: no monthly newsletter, no weekly info of homework, no emails from the teacher... nothing. And when you tell the principal you'd like to know what's going on, nothing happens.

Posted November 20, 2014
I don't know why this school is rated so low. Both of my children go to this school and I have had great experiences with the staff. Most of the parents I've encountered that have an issue with this school is due to their children's behavior and not due to any failure from the school or its staff.

Posted October 20, 2014
Independence is a great school. My child was having some issues in the classroom and the staff was very attentive to my child's needs and they were very encouraging to me about his progress. I would highly recommend this school.

Independence Elementary School 3

Posted February 20, 2010
This is a much better school than the average rating posted here. The principal is very responsive to parent needs and if parents make an effort to reach out to the teachers, they will work with you to help your child achieve. Unlike some of the more highly rated school districts surrounding Bolingbrook, this school and the district have a very racially and ethnically diverse student body. The teachers have many student needs to attend to. I think this school does a nice job of trying to meet the academic needs of all students. Parent involvement could be better. Not many parents make the effort to show up for Reading and Tech Nights. Student discipline is kept under control. My kids have not had any problems with teasing or bullying. Kids who do engage in this behavior are disciplined. Part of the curriculum addresses respect and good.

Posted September 02, 2006
I have found Independence to be a great place for children to learn and develop. I was very impressed with The Chicago Tribune article that ranked Independence as the leading public school in the state to diminish the achievement gap between the races. For the last 5 years, they have continued to have increased reading scores. They provide enrichment for those students that are advanced. They also have many intervention programs for students in need. I receive assessment results three times a year on my student's progress in reading as it compares nationally. That way I know exactly where my child is at and how much they have grown. The staff is very caring and committed to the students.

230 South Orchard Drive, Bolingbrook, IL  60440
Last modified Independence Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.