Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I had only 1 out of 5 teachers that really delivered a good experience. Her teaching was very effective and it reflected on my child's grade reports.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Too many times I find there is no homework because of a substitute teacher or a short week. We do not get homework for science or social studies in this school like other neighboring districts do.

Develops character: Disagree

I think fairness is a concern here. There seems to be favoring towards some students that are connected to family of school employees.

I see reviews that are old. My child started 1st grade here in 2012 and I've had problems with lazy teachers. It seems that many teachers here hardly want to work. I barely no anything my child studies in class because the teachers do not communicate anything to parents. For 2016: no monthly newsletter, no weekly info of homework, no emails from the teacher... nothing. And when you tell the principal you'd like to know what's going on, nothing happens.

I don't know why this school is rated so low. Both of my children go to this school and I have had great experiences with the staff. Most of the parents I've encountered that have an issue with this school is due to their children's behavior and not due to any failure from the school or its staff.

Independence is a great school. My child was having some issues in the classroom and the staff was very attentive to my child's needs and they were very encouraging to me about his progress. I would highly recommend this school.

This is a much better school than the average rating posted here. The principal is very responsive to parent needs and if parents make an effort to reach out to the teachers, they will work with you to help your child achieve. Unlike some of the more highly rated school districts surrounding Bolingbrook, this school and the district have a very racially and ethnically diverse student body. The teachers have many student needs to attend to. I think this school does a nice job of trying to meet the academic needs of all students. Parent involvement could be better. Not many parents make the effort to show up for Reading and Tech Nights. Student discipline is kept under control. My kids have not had any problems with teasing or bullying. Kids who do engage in this behavior are disciplined. Part of the curriculum addresses respect and good.

Last modified Independence Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.