Bad
Good

I have had 5 children attend Jonas Salk over the last 7 years and I am very pleased with the curriculum, activities and faculty that are available to my children. They are trying very hard to make this school a great learning environment for kids and provide them with the tools needed to suceed. It is common sense that it is not only up to the school, it is also up to the children and their parents to make that happen.

Our family has nothing but stellar things to say about this school's administration and teachers, and our children consistently score in the 95th+ percentile nationwide. I would give jonas salk 5 stars, but obviously there are many children not "making the grade." I don't know if the school is to blame for this, though. I can tell you my kids have great attendance, always do their homework, and we attend every parent/teacher opportunity...these small steps go a long way.

My daughter attended Salk for kindergarten & first grade. The curriculum seems to focus on those that are behind, allowing the children that are average to above average to fall below the radar. I felt her time spent there was wasted as the material was never challenging. I asked for more challenging material for two years and I was told we would receive it.. but we never did . I definitely would not recommend this school unless you are looking for a cheap daycare facility that offers only socialization.

Salk is a great school with excellent leadership from the principal and school administration. The teachers we have dealt with (six in total over two kids thus far) have ranged from excellent to average, but never below average. Parent involvement is frustratingly low - too many parents seem to look at school as a daycare. After school activities that rely on parent involvement have suffered in recent years. The neighborhood is nice but older, however this school is about a block away from a middle school and sometimes the middle school students can be a bit unrefined and use coarse language around the younger children. The middle school kids are not allowed on the grade school campus unless they are picking up a sibling - this rule is strictly enforced. Almost all of the interaction between middle and elementary students is from students who are walkers.

The teachers and the staff are pretty good, and there are alot of after school activities and childcare and bus service. however, the classes are maxed out to capacity for the student/teacher ratio. The Neighborhood around the school is ok. I have had some problems with older teens hanging out cussing listening to nasty rap music and have even had some fights and some theivery from these older kids.

Last modified Jonas E Salk Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.