Bad
Good

Excellent school and welcoming neighborhood. The faculty is truly committed to teaching every child. This is an accepting place of any and all kinds of kids.

Yes Dist. 214 is "SUPPOSED" to be a great school dist., however, I beg to differ. I'm a graduate class of 2010. I did not start at BG but I did start my fresh. and soph. years off at Wheeling High School. Just to let you know there is a big difference between both Buffalo Grove and Wheeling. Wheeling HS had a welcoming atmosphere, Buffalo Grove not so much. When I went with my mom to get enrolled in school, some of the staff was rude to us and they pretty much acted like they didn't want to go through the hassle of trying enrolling me. I had to get a new counselor, because the first one I had wasn't trying to help me find my best interest after HS! I kind of felt like some of last year was a complete waste to me. I do believe that Dist. 214 is a good school dist. but fails to meet EVERY CHILD'S EXPECTATIONS when it comes to learning, which every kid needs his/her learning experiences fulfilled to the greatest maximum.

If you are thinking about moving to this area do it. Its a great community to grow up in. I live in Arlington Heights and i am a current student at BG. I am in my senior year. This offers a slew of courses... auto shop, robotics, 2 bands, orchestras and choirs, and even strength training. They also have AP level, Honor level, "regular" and preparatory level courses to choose from. I feel like i am completely ready for college with all the prepatation i have gotten over the past 4 years. I got into a bunch of different universities; Northwestern, Tulane, U of Illinois, etc. I will be going to Illinois next year and have no academic worries. While BG is not the most diverse school it is rare to find a truly diverse school. We are a predominately white school but we also have Hispanic, European, and African american students. There are parties that go on, alcohol is consumed, drugs are used... but unless you are at a military academy these things happen. If you become involved in school then the chances of direct exposure to these activities are greatly reduced.

As a former student, I can attest that I never saw a class with more than 25 students. Most of my classes were small (range of 15-20). If I had difficulty in a subject, my teachers were all easy to contact and arrange for additional assistance. There are a large number of clubs available to students. I never felt pressure to fit in with any group of peers, drive a stunning car, or wear particularly fashionable clothes. I never encountered alcohol or drugs. Though there was security at sporting events, I am confident that this is standard in the interest of the safety of the attendees and not to stifle fun. I disagree with the person who claimed the school was diverse. 88% of Buffalo Grove is white, and the student body reflects those demographics.

This school has failed to make AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) during the past 3 or so years. It has quite a drug and alcohol problem. There's cops at every home sporting event at BGHS. There's a high pressure to excel at BGHS and be in the right groups, have the right friends, drive the right car, wear the right clothes, and only hang out with those like you. There's a lot of cliques. Many of the parents are rude and look down on anyone who isn't like them and their student(s).

Great school. Offers many activities and events. I enjoyed learning in this school and got accepted into a great university.

A top 3 school in the area!! Teachers care about the student and his/her success. Diverse school, but not too diverse, gives just the perfect amount needed to let our young adults learn and go through life experiences. Great culture and learning environment. Keep up the good work!!!!!

too many kids in classes. Some teachers arent very good.

its pretty fun i suggest getting in sports, thats how you will meet alot of people and just be active active in school events

I suggest your kids being in AP classes, thats the best route to go in don't worry about fitting in.. I can't count the number of people I already see messing up there lives. Other then that all I have to say is good luck. Many after school activites.

Last modified Buffalo Grove High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.