Carpentersville, IL

Sunny Hill Elementary School 1

Posted October 26, 2013
This school is one of the worst schools there is in the Barrington school district. I have attended Rose Elementary school and I currently attend Prairie Middle School. In my school, students that had previously attended Sunny hill are in basic and strategy classes. Being in basic classes mean that you are stripped of your rights to learn another language, and you must take a third English class. Every other school in the Barrington district is better than Sunny Hill. I obviously dislike this school because it's teachers teach at such a slow pace, I mean that children that attended this school are so far behind on everything. Hence the reason why there are in the most simplest of classes.

Sunny Hill Elementary School 5

Posted July 04, 2013
The statement about funding being less for Sunny Hill than other Barrington schools is not at all true. There is less money raised by the Sunny Hill PTO than say Rose (the people who send kids to Rose live in kabillion dollar houses- they have some cash to give the PTO) If anything, the District itself spends MORE not LESS on Sunny Hill. The principal and the teachers at Sunny Hill are excellent. 220 can and does hire the best teachers to be found. The kids at Sunny Hill are awesome, as are the wonderful families. There are a lot of native Spanish speakers in this area, and it is a lower income area than most of the other 220 schools. Therefor, you get a high quality education, and a rich, vibrant cultural experience at this school. It is one of the older physical buildings of the schools in the district, but do not let the old brick fool you. These kids will go far.

Sunny Hill Elementary School 1

Posted October 29, 2012
It is a shame, though people speak fluent English in this area, they chose not to with those that speak only English. Being an immigrant myself, it is a very isolating feeling. I am the parent that posted in 2005. I did not give the school a 5 star rating. Our children, until we moved, were placed in private school. Unfortunately my post was edited because it was considered racial profiling. What a shame it is that honesty and information would be considered racial profiling. If it is indeed fact, then what is the problem? There are a lot of Hispanic families that will adore living here. However, if you do not speak Spanish you will be left out in the cold. Period.

Sunny Hill Elementary School 4

Posted February 01, 2008

Sunny Hill Elementary School 0

Posted August 23, 2007
I have my 3rd child in SunnyHill. We moved here in the late 80's from the Glenbard dist. My older sons were attending SunnyHill in the 90s, then and now the BS district has high standards, and expectations implemented in each of its schools. What I see as a parent and a former bus driver for the dist. is all the schools have the same curriculum, and quality of teachers. The powers that be have implemented a program that encourages the Hispanic children to speak their native language. They are slowly taught the English language over the 6 yrs from Kdgn. to 5th grade.

Sunny Hill Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2006
Great School! Wonderful teachers. I agree with the previous reviewer that the neighborhood is mainly Hispanic but that doesn't mean we don't speak English. You should not judge. I live on Papoose, am Mexican and speak fluent English.

Sunny Hill Elementary School 5

Posted May 12, 2005
We back to Sunny Hill and our son will be attending in the fall of 2005. I myself went to Sunny Hill back in the 70's. Though in the Barrington School District, Sunny Hill and Woodland schools are overlooked for funding. The neighborhood is primarily hispanic, and a good portion of the curriculum is taught in Spanish. If you are not of hispanic/el salvadorian/puerto rican descent, you should not move to the Carpentersville area. It is very, very uncomfortable being a stay at home mother with no one to speak English with.

Sunny Hill Elementary School
2500 Helm Road, Carpentersville, IL  60110
Last modified Sunny Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunny Hill Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top