PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

St. John Lutheran is the only one of it's kind in the Champaign area. Not only does it provide excellent academics, but it is part of a strong, confessional Lutheran congregation. My daughter has blossomed at this school, and I'm thrilled that she is getting a strong Christian foundation and an outstanding education.

We chose this school out of all of the public and private schools in the community because we felt it offered the best balance of structured teaching and freedom to be one's self. Additionally,we were concerned about the public schools' kindergarten classes being maxed out at 25 students each. Instead, SJL offered a class size of 15 and much more individual attention. Consequently, SJL has provided nothing less than a stellar education and a positive environment. I especially appreciate the time taken teaching how to be kind to one another. The school pairs the younger children with an chapel buddy from 6th or 7th grade, so that the kids get to interact across different grade and ages. The teachers at this school work very hard to create a positive, loving environment while gently nudging each child toward being best student they can be. The new principal is working diligently to make many improvements. SJL recently purchased all new computers for the computer lab, a mobile computer lab, and there is a smart board in every classroom. The school relys on parent involvement which can be challenging at times, however, I cannot say enough good things about this school.

St. John is an excellent school. It offers small class sizes and caring teachers as well as strong academics and christian teaching. We moved to Champaign from out of state and did not have a good public school option for our son, so we toured St. John and loved it. My son is very happy there. It's almost like a family atmosphere. We are not members of the church, and are very welcome!

I went to st john my whole kindergarden through 8th grade years and i had the best memories there. Everyone is so nice and will go to the ends of the earth for anything you need, all the teachers are amazing! So friendly and definely a christian based atmosphere!

I would rate this school as excellent. We put our boys there this year after experiencing the public school system and all its chaotic classrooms. St. John has small class size with dedicated teachers who provide a positive classroom experience with lots of encouragement. There is a high level of parent involvement, whereas in public school the parents are obviously lacking. St. John does indeed have a dedicated music and art teacher, as well as PE and Spanish teachers. I feel like my children are learning how to be good citizens, how to have good values and principals, that St John expands on my teaching my kids these concepts, and that these concepts are lacking in public school.

We have been involved at St. John's Lutheran School for several years. Like any school it has good points and bad. Much depends on what you are looking for. It is a small school which relies on parent involvement to run more effectively. The class sizes are small; sometimes because they can't fill. The academics are geared toward the average child and there are no structured activities for those who are lagging or advanced. There are a few excellent teachers; there are a few who don't treat children in a very Christian way. I would strongly consider other options if your family is not Missouri synod Lutheran. Chapel time can be long and boring. Unlike the public schools there is no dedicated art or music teacher. Several families have left for different reasons.. I would inquire about this. There is a new principal.. the previous one left 'unexpectedly'. Overall average.

I was seriously ill when we enrolled my daughter. the families, school faculty and staff were supportive and helped my daughter with homework, as I could not, at the time. The example was that of Christ. The level of behavior and academics is high, as expected in a private school. Outstanding.

Last modified St John Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8