K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (4 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Excellent principal and I think the teachers are responsive to her direction.

Develops character: Strongly agree

St. Matt's is a great component of this. It's not perfect but between the school and what they learn at home I think it's a great mix.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We've had good communication with our kids' teachers. Sometimes we need to make sure to ask the right questions but have always found the teachers responsive.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

In our experience the expectations vary a lot by grade but it has worked well. I hear grumblings from other parents time to time on the amount of time involved but I think it is a fair amount.

We have 2 kids at St. Matts and have had an excellent experience. Experiences with the teachers have varied and we have our favorites but they have all done a great job with our kids. Interestingly, our oldest daughter has has told us at the end of each school year that the current teacher is her favorite of all time :) There's a good mix of activities that bring the parents and families into the school and I appreciate the amount of volunteering that they expect from the parents. I would highly recommend St. Matts to anyone interested in a Catholic education.

To be fair, I made a lot of good friends and memories here. But, there were some pretty awful ones too. Favoritism and Elitism cripple the school's supposed Christian foundation. In third grade, I had a teacher that flat-out hated me. She refused to help me learn long division (still have problems to this day), and treated me as a second-class citizen compared to the rest of the class. I found out later that at a Parent Teacher conference, she had told my parents that I would grow up to become a "stoner". In 6th grade, my teacher was borderline racist toward my Korean friend, implying he did not know English by talking slow (he was born in Champaign). Finally, my teacher (who is still employed there) mocked me in front of the entire class and did whatever possible to ensure I had a miserable time. I got detentions for simply looking in the direction of someone talking while she was, and was even pinned guilty of bullying someone (who I was good friends with) by another student (who actually was the bully!) Worst of all, she immediately sided with the bully's story, with no evidence supporting that I had any involvement. The problems, however, are not just social. I have problems to this day in math, because of the teachers that did not treat me and teach me equal to my peers. I regret to say this, I really do, but I would prepare for major problems if you come to this school.

Develops character: Disagree

They favor the easy kids more than others. Early years (K-2) are much better than later, however.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Again, depends. Most grades have very great teachers. I had an excellent one I could relate to in 8th grade, and one that hated me and did not try to help me learn.

Attended from 1995-2006. I credit the school and parish for instilling my moral compass and educational foundation. The educators and staff (many of which still there to this day) make a tremendous effort to connect with their students during and after their time at St. Matt's. I have had several teachers reach out to my friends and I during our times of achievement and accomplishments well into our twenties. Best academic experience one can ask for their children and family.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The formal education and life skills taught on a daily basis align with the Catholic faith.

Last modified St Matthew School is a Private school that serves grades K-8