No rating

Next Generation School

Private | K-8 | 262 students

We are best known for accelerated academic programs.

Living in Champaign

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $800.

Posted May 28, 2014

NGS is very strong in science and math. The middle school has used the Project Lead The Way curriculum for science for several years, and NGS is among few elementary schools in the US that were selected as a test site for PLTW curriculum. Most 8th graders take either algebra 1 or geometry. NGS won the 2014 middle school IL regional in the National Science Bowl. Their history curriculum is outstanding, and middle school world and US history curricula are as rigorous as any high school history classes. All middle schoolers take French or Spanish, and they consistently perform extremely well on national exams. In 2014, all 4 gold medal winners from downstate IL in level 1 National Spanish Exam were 7th graders from NGS, and their competition included all high schools in downstate IL. NGS won the 2014 IESA state championship in Scholastic Bowl, and they were the state runner up in 2013. English/Language Arts curriculum is also superb. PE, fine arts, and music programs are also extensive and well-taught. All teachers and administrators are friendly and nurturing. When it comes to academic excellence, NGS is as strong as any in the state of IL. I am so glad we found NGS for our kids.

Posted May 14, 2014

We have sent 3 kids to NGS, and we couldn't be happier. The teachers are awesome, and if a teacher cannot meet the challenges and high expectations of NGS, he/she does not stay. The curriculum is very good and challenges the students. But, students are well-loved and nurtured. NGS sees your kids as you see them and values their unique qualities. I can't say enough about this school!

Posted April 10, 2014

Incredible teachers at every level, focuses on critical thinking and discussion for the purpose of understanding rather than the "right answer." Rigorous math program, especially if your child works one grade level ahead. Stronger programs in academics rather than the arts. Top notch PE teachers. My only criticism is that there have been occasions that the administration has made certain student discipline decisions that were either too lenient or too harsh, and that the administration does not know the children as well as they should. Teachers have always been willing to accept feedback and adapt to child's needs.

Posted May 3, 2013

I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews. I have been going to Next Generation since I was six weeks old, and I am now 13 years old. I have always loved this school. It's like one big family. I have learned so much and made so many friends. I can honestly say that I am friends with every single kid in my grade and most in the middle school. We all have a ton of fun and are very grateful for the amazing experience we get at Next Generation. The teachers are so nice, helpful, and so much fun. I didn't know how ahead I was in academics until I started going to a math and science camp over the summer. All the classes are great, and every year, when school ends, I find my self signing up for the summer scholars program to learn even more. I was recently accepted into the University Laboratory High school (Uni High) and will be VERY sad to leave this place. I think that this school was a wonderful experience. I felt safe and at home here and was never afraid to be myself. Everybody was so kind, and I learned so much. In fact, I will be taking sophomore level classes at my high school next year even though I will only be in the eighth grade. -A student

Posted April 30, 2013

The review below makes me very sad. My heart goes out to whoever you are and I am so very sorry you feel that way about your time at NGS. Our experience has been so very, very different. My daughters have all attended NGS starting at the early education level through middle school (10 years now). None of them have ever had any issues with bullying. There were the standard issues that arise when children are together all day long. The teachers were very receptive and went above and beyond to ensure that all of the students were treated appropriately. In fact, not too long ago my 10 year old and I watched the documentary "Bully" together and she was very surprised and shocked. She had never seen students treat each other in that way. She said that she was very glad that she was at a school where that never happens and would not be tolerated. Both of my older daughters have moved on to high school and are also surprised by the stories their classmates tell of bullying from their own elementary and middle schools. Again, I am sorry that was your experience.

Posted March 30, 2013

I went to NGS and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. The teachers are great and the facility is state of the art but the kids, the kids are terrible. If you don't start attending NGS by the third grade be prepared for isolation. The kids all have cliques. Honestly I was bullied there and the staff did nothing to help. Two kids used to have contests to see who could kick my foot the hardest. The winner was decided by who I screamed loudest for. And that is just one example of my experience. The quality of education was great but I am scared for the reset of my life. I feel I can never return to Illinois

Posted January 14, 2013

As a Professor of Education, and former literacy consultant for the State of Illinois, I know a thing or two about curricula and learning. Our children have been better off at Next Generation than any gifted program. From day one, thirteen years ago, Next Generation has emphasized individual needs and individual enhancement in terms of learning. The program at Next Generation has enhanced and enriched our children s learning, allowing them to explore the curricula in greater depth and breadth than any other educational setting. They have prospered academically through inquiry, problem-solving and stimulation of their talents. They have also enjoyed significant instructional time in Art, Music and Physical Education. Academically and beyond, Next Generation is second to none in the enrichment of the whole student. You will find the environment at Next Generation to be great academically, while being a small enough school to also be nurturing. The teachers are wonderful and the administration is always looking to make sure that they make decisions based on what is best for the children. I can tell you that they are meeting the needs of our children to the very best of their ability.

Posted January 8, 2013

We have 3 children at Next Gen (for 5.5 years now) starting in pre-school and now up to 7th grade. The teachers are fantastic, the curriculum is challenging but fun (my son created his own civilization) and balanced (art, PE, music). I love that they provide Spanish starting in preschool. The administrators are very helpful and there is always someone at the front door to greet the students (and parents) every morning and every afternoon. The administrators and teachers are constantly re-evaluating the curriculum to spot areas for improvement. We get an email every day from each class giving a summary of the important topics covered and what homework is due. Very helpful. Communication is excellent! All teachers and administrators are always accessible. I love this school.

Posted May 23, 2012

Our DD absolutely loved her teachers! We loved her classmates and her class. She grew so much in a short time and we think it's due to her teachers. Unfortunately, the administrators are not so great. They seemed more interested in money than in anything else. They nickled and dimed you to no end! For example, every year you had a pay a registration fee. This registration fee did absolutely nothing! It's the same paper form that you fill out every year. Also, they had ZERO vacation policy. Our family took a much needed vacation... they refused to hold our spot unless we kept paying the full tuition - even though we had already paid registration for the next school year! The administrators were snobby and didn't really care whether parents/students stayed or not because they had other parents that were willing to pay the costs and put off with their punitive policies. With their high costs and strict standards you'd think they would treat their teachers better and have better benefits. Nope... all of money goes straight into the pockets of the administrators. We found another school, spent more time with DD at a library... and now she's doing better than at Next Gen.

Posted February 2, 2012

I wish it was a little bit more affordable...although if I could keep up with the cost I would definetly enroll my child. I absolutely loved this place as a new comer in this town we did some pre-school browsing and visited everyone of them and not one can compare to Next Generation. You won't find this curriculum elsewhere they even teach science at such short age and the kids love it I had the opportunity to attend one of them as they made a "volcano experiment" and the interest and excitement in these kids was AMAZING. Others are more focused on childcare services while this one will definetly have your child ready for school. The quality of this school is outstanding. The bad part is that its about $215 a week! and another $300. to be added to a loong waiting list and if you don't make it they get to keep the money.

Posted June 17, 2011

Both our daughters attended this school from the time they were 10 weeks, until we moved when they were 3 yrs and 6 mos old. We had overall fantastic experiences! Infant teachers were great and really helpful with feeding, getting and maintaining sleeping schedules, development etc. Spanish and music were great as well as everyday "life skills" that kids loved - and taught us as first time parents exactly what our kids could be expected to do! Our oldest had some temporary special needs from age 11 weeks to 6 months and contrary to our expectation that she wouldn't be able to attend, NG was happy to take her and did a GREAT job with her care. Had a few small communications issues that were eventually worked out to our satisfaction, but overall a great experience. I must echo someone else - we always appreciated NG, but appreciated them even more when we moved away from CU and had to find childcare - nothing compared!

Posted June 1, 2011

My daughter has attended NGS since 2007. Not only does she love the school, but she is sad that the school year has ended and want to attend summer camp there as well. We didn't think twice about enrolling our 2 year old in the early education program, even though it does stretch us financially. The school is like a large family. Is there change? Yes. Change is what makes us grow. I am so happy to have a school to send my kids to that places the value on education and nurturing the hearts of my children. I would work three jobs to send them there if I had to. I highly recommend NGS as the best place to send your kids for an excellent education!

Posted February 13, 2011

I have recently joined the Next Generation School family after more than thirty years of teaching in public schools. I have been delighted to find a very caring, talented, and dedicated faculty and staff. The administrative team is equally strong and devoted to creating a climate of excellence and high standards, while offering the support needed to reach those standards. People here seem to embrace a collaborative model in which to develop and maintain a challenging and rigorous curriculum, while at the same time providing a supportive, positive, fun and happy atmosphere for all to be the best that they can be, adults and children alike! Areas that might need to be addressed are discussed, and problem solving methods are employed, with input from those involved. Change happens, and a great school becomes even better because people here are willing to grow and learn. After all, isn't that what education is all about! I can't tell you how fortunate I feel to be a part of such an outstanding and dynamic place as Next Generation School!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 11, 2011

We sent my son to Next Generation School starting in 3rd grade. He is now in high school and doing extremely well. As a working class family living 50 miles away from the school, it was very difficult for us to afford the tuition and make the commute but we found a way to make it happen because the school is just that good. The learning environment is stimulating, the curriculum is integrated, the teachers are talented and caring...I could go on and on. I highly encourage people to visit the school, especially if you have a child who loves to learn.

Posted February 8, 2011

Next Generation is an amazing school that provides a positive learning environment for all of its students! Teachers and staff are kind, caring, and nurturing to all students (and to each other), creating an atmosphere where children feel confident in themselves and are eager to share their ideas and try new things. As a teacher, I have always felt supported by our strong and dedicated administration. Teachers and parents at NGS are in constant communication with each other, truly partnering to ensure each child's success and happiness. Each Primary grade level has co-teachers who work collaboratively to ensure that every child in the classroom is receiving instruction and enrichment at their level. Students are challenged academically, but also have opportunities for fun and play. The music, art, Spanish, and science departments all do amazing things with these kids, and students are fortunate to have such dedicated and knowledgeable specialty teachers. I m so proud to be part of Next Generation School!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 8, 2011

I am so glad to have Next Generation School here for my children. I know they are safe and learning amazing things every single day! Teachers send information by email every day about what students have done in the classroom, and post pictures so I can see my child participating in daily activities which include making music, talking to peers about high-level books and conversing in a foreign language. I saw some of the other posts by parents, and it seems that Next Generation has made several changes to their safety protocols, in that the play area is fenced and every exit door now has an alarm that requires a code to be punched in to enter. I also rarely see the front desk without a staff member or two present to welcome me and my children to school. If there has ever been a problem, I know I can talk to the teachers and administrators who will listen to and respond to my concerns. I know they care about my children. I think it's a wonderful place.

Posted February 8, 2011

My family has been a part of the Next Generation community for nine years. From infant learning all the way through to middle school, I have seen first hand how well NGS educates and cares for its students. It makes me sad to see bad reviews from obviously bitter ex-employees who, through their posts, show none of the professionalism for which the NGS teachers are famous. I won't deny that the administration has high expectations for its teachers, but how else to guarantee the quality that parents have come to expect? I think the parent comments speak louder and more honestly. I am a very happy NGS parent.

Posted March 26, 2010

this school indeed has state-of-art gym and neat environment but they also values their wood floor maintenance more than students' safety. A school puts students in center should not be like this!

Posted December 1, 2009

We have had nothing but GREAT experiences at Next Generation. All the teachers are wonderful and my children have learned an amazing amount. We really appreciate their diverse curriculum and attention to the fine arts as well as the emphasis on outdoor play.

Posted December 17, 2008

We have had mixed experiences--in fact, we have noted everything that other reviewers have, both good and bad. The good part: there are some really wonderful teachers and expectations are high. The bad: oppressive and financially punitive policies, lack of security (especially at the front desk, which is often left unattended), and inconsistency among the teachers, a few of whom are really inadequate. We left after 2 years.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 32% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Chris Bronowski
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Rigorous, individually tailored programs
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Internet access
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Student newspaper
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2012-2013 school year
$10000 - $11000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University Laboratory High School