K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

NGS has finished in top 3 at the IESA state championships in Scholastic Bowl for 4 straight years from 2013 to 2016, winning the championship in 2014. NGS won the IL Regional tournament of the National Science Bowl in 2014. In 2016, a team consisting of current students and 9th grade alumni won the Junior National Academic Championship against top teams from across the nation. For some reason, you won't find any of these information on the school's own website. But when it comes to academic excellence, NGS is certainly among the elite in the state of IL.

Great teachers, attentive staff, fantastic leadership. The principal is out front every morning and every afternoon to greet the kids and parents. She knows every child by name and is always looking out for their safety. The teachers are creative and excited about teaching and the children thrive under this system.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework progressed to about an hour a night in middle school. There is a study hall period so a lot of kids get much done there too

There are many ways to measure a school's academic success. One such measure has to be the school's performance in academic competitions against other elite schools in the state. Next Generation has finished in top 3 in the state in IESA Scholastic Bowl for 4 years in a row, winning the championship in 2014.

Develops character: Strongly agree

When something is questioned (My son stole candy from another's backpack) the teachers get all of the information before discussing. Then they discuss with the child to see if he or she can work through appropriate options for making amends.

We have two kids in NGS, enrolled since they were babies. The teachers in early education and preschool are great. We really loved it there. 5 stars there. Elementary school is a different story. It depends on the teachers, and lately there has been a lot of teacher turnover. I do not like how corporate it has become. I feel like they are nickeling and diming me all the time. They do have high academic standards which is good, but at the same time, they do not accommodate very well if your kid does not fit their ideal mode.

We have sent 3 kids to NGS, and we couldn't be happier. The teachers are awesome, and if a teacher cannot meet the challenges and high expectations of NGS, he/she does not stay. The curriculum is very good and challenges the students. But, students are well-loved and nurtured. NGS sees your kids as you see them and values their unique qualities. I can't say enough about this school!

Incredible teachers at every level, focuses on critical thinking and discussion for the purpose of understanding rather than the "right answer." Rigorous math program, especially if your child works one grade level ahead. Stronger programs in academics rather than the arts. Top notch PE teachers. My only criticism is that there have been occasions that the administration has made certain student discipline decisions that were either too lenient or too harsh, and that the administration does not know the children as well as they should. Teachers have always been willing to accept feedback and adapt to child's needs.

I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews. I have been going to Next Generation since I was six weeks old, and I am now 13 years old. I have always loved this school. It's like one big family. I have learned so much and made so many friends. I can honestly say that I am friends with every single kid in my grade and most in the middle school. We all have a ton of fun and are very grateful for the amazing experience we get at Next Generation. The teachers are so nice, helpful, and so much fun. I didn't know how ahead I was in academics until I started going to a math and science camp over the summer. All the classes are great, and every year, when school ends, I find my self signing up for the summer scholars program to learn even more. I was recently accepted into the University Laboratory High school (Uni High) and will be VERY sad to leave this place. I think that this school was a wonderful experience. I felt safe and at home here and was never afraid to be myself. Everybody was so kind, and I learned so much. In fact, I will be taking sophomore level classes at my high school next year even though I will only be in the eighth grade. -A student

The review below makes me very sad. My heart goes out to whoever you are and I am so very sorry you feel that way about your time at NGS. Our experience has been so very, very different. My daughters have all attended NGS starting at the early education level through middle school (10 years now). None of them have ever had any issues with bullying. There were the standard issues that arise when children are together all day long. The teachers were very receptive and went above and beyond to ensure that all of the students were treated appropriately. In fact, not too long ago my 10 year old and I watched the documentary "Bully" together and she was very surprised and shocked. She had never seen students treat each other in that way. She said that she was very glad that she was at a school where that never happens and would not be tolerated. Both of my older daughters have moved on to high school and are also surprised by the stories their classmates tell of bullying from their own elementary and middle schools. Again, I am sorry that was your experience.

Last modified Next Generation School is a Private school that serves grades K-8