Champaign, IL

Posted October 09, 2013
My child attended in 2011-2012 for only four months and four months was enough. In his classroom alone he saw the following behaviors: a child cursing the teacher and climbing up a bookcase, a child who would often come into the room angry and slam the contents of his desk onto the floor, throwing his chair and picking up a wastebasket and hurling it at a fellow student, fighting, yelling, at least on other children throwing a chair, even a hard football hurtling across the room on the day a substitute was there. These were some angry children with real behavioral problems and the school did not have the matter under control at all. Our son was traumatized. We had to remove him. On the bright side, I understand that the school has new leadership now, so hopefully things will be improving soon, thanks to the efforts of some brave and bold parents. I know the earlier principal was doing her best, but she really had her work cut out for her.

Posted August 23, 2012
My daughter loved her kindergarten experience here! When I toured several Champaign elementary schools, Robeson stood out from others. It is my top Champaign choice for many reasons. The building is smaller and is located in a safe neighborhood. The classrooms and playgrounds are small so teachers can easily observe all the students as they learn, play, talk, and have free time. I wanted the teacher to be able to stop any chance of bullying immediately, which she did. My daughter never had a problem with other children mistreating her. I like that the Kindergarten students are sheltered in their interactions with older students. The Kindergarten classrooms have their own bathroom, hallway, and lunchtime. The kindergarten students are picked up from school 5 minutes before any older students are let out. This was important to me because I wanted her 5-year-old innocence to be preserved. This school emphasizes respecting others. I have seen the teachers, students, parents, and principals respect each other in every situation I have observed. My daughter's ability and desire to read and write escalated very quickly in Kindergarten. Great learning environment! We love Robeson!

Posted August 12, 2012
Administration here is very poor. Much unprofessional staff. Many parents unhappy with their children's experience at this school.

Robeson Elementary School 3

Posted May 31, 2011
There has been a gradual decline in the school environment over the last couple of years. I understand the pressures of testing, it just doesn't feel like my child is getting the education he once was.

Posted May 04, 2011
Very poor leadership and lots of parent and teacher dissatisfaction. School is in desperate need of competent, ethical and compassionate leadership.

Posted March 06, 2011
After debating whether to send our kids to private or public, we ended up at Robeson and are THRILLED! The kids are challenged, well-disciplined and have fun! This year my son got to eat bugs as part of a science project (only if they wanted to)! The teaching staff is energetic, motivated and full of TLC for the kids. The PTA and parent support is amazing! We are so happy to have chosen public schools and continue to be impressed by Robeson and it's staff.

Posted March 01, 2011
I am the parent of a current kindergartner. The whole idea of controlled choice was worrisome to me and my husband. We, like many first time kindergarten parents, wanted our child to have the best experience possible. We could not be happier! The teachers at Robeson are exceptional. They are well-educated, creative people who show the students genuine care and devotion. He loves school and that means so much to us. The expectations--both academically and socially--are high at Robeson. The teachers and staff dedicate each day to the progress of every student and it shows! Plus, the PTA is fabulous.

Posted November 11, 2010
I don't even feel that this school should even rate a 1-star. My children were here and even though my daughter never had problems my son was verbally and physically harrassed. It escillated in to 3 physical "gang-like" attacks on the playground. Not even once was I called by the school. We finally pulled our children out and now attend private school.

Posted September 18, 2010
We have 2 children at Robeson and have had an EXCELLENT experience. The teachers here keep the kids challenged and excited about learning. The PTA is very involved and all of the teachers my kids have ever had have been extremely welcoming in having parents in the classroom. The adminstration is on top of problems as soon as they arise, and I am so impressed with the education the kids are getting at this elementary school!

Posted November 04, 2009
Robeson is a school where the students come first. The teachers are always willing to attempt new things and they continue to be life-long learners along with their students.

Robeson Elementary School
2501 Southmoor Drive, Champaign, IL  61821
Last modified Robeson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robeson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top