No rating

Our Lady Of The Ridge School

Private | K-8 | 196 students

Living in Chicago Ridge

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $85,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted January 20, 2014

OLOR is a great school! Staff and teachers are very caring and helpful... I have two kids that attend and they love it. There is a lot of homework but that is normal with high academic standards... I am very happy to be able to send my boys to a catholic school and attending mass every Sunday is just a part of our stewardship life... for the families that are upset about the charges when you miss a Sunday mass you do not understand what a stewardship parish is and you shouldn't have sign up...everything is explained each and every school year... This school offers everyone opportunity to send their kids to school that supports our catholic values at affordable price. I am very thankful for people that keep it going... Thank you Sister Stephanie and Father Wayne!

Posted November 21, 2013

My 2nd child just started at OLOR. We transferred 3 years ago from another school. I can't tell you how much I appreciated how each teacher took the time to help my child catch up because they had fallen behind from their previous school. They stayed after school and gave individual help as well as the weekly tutoring offered to all. I have seen the change of confidence in my child and a sense of belonging here. I love how they teach respect and responsibility. . I credit the Principal Sister Stephanie who seems like she is always teaching the kids some small life lesson even if a comment when passing them in the hall. I see my child take such pride and responsibility in their work . I think it is a great education, I always see in bulletins that so many of the graduated students are on the A Honor Roll at Brother Rice, Mother McAuley, , Marist and I know Sister has said repeatedly that her job is to prepare our children for highschool. I think the sad negative comments are from the same couple of people that keep posting and saying they are leaving every year and they never leave. I would always do what I believe is best for my children and that is going to OLOR.

Posted November 20, 2013

This school is not what it appears to be. Two of the JR High teachers appear to not care. One speaks about her personal life during class instead of teaching religion. My child has learned more from attending CCD at another parish than at this school (the primary school). The math teacher is awful! She doesn't explain the subject at hand and yells at the children for not understanding. The kids are so frighted of her that they don't dare ask for fear of being ridiculed and embarrassed. This is a known problem; parents/kids have been complaining about this for years and the administration has done nothing about it. Math is a core skill and kids leave this place unprepared for high school. I definitely agree that there are clicky parents. Many are nice but it's surprising to see adults in clicks, especially in a Christian school. The worse is that it spills down to the kids ("My dad/mom does blah, blah, blah ... so we're better than you."). And the priest is awful! His only concern is money. He's rude, unfriendly, and does not interact with the school kids. Majority of the parishioners dislike him. Yes, tuition is cheap but you get what you pay for. Grief!

Posted November 13, 2013

My daughter has been struggling in math and spelling since the beginning of the year.Her teacher has went above and beyond any of my expectations to help her.We have come to the conclusion that she needs to be tested for learning disabilities.This is not an easy thing for any parent to hear.Sr. Stephanie and the teacher have been so supportive and helpful.I could not be any more thankful for them.They really have stepped up and they really care about all of the children at this school.I have seen this first hand.God has placed these special people here to care for all of our children. Thank you

Posted November 7, 2013

We have been members of the Parish way before my child attended the school.Yes, they do things a certain way at our school.It's called a "stewardship way of life". We all must take part in this in order for it to work.When you sign the covenant at the beginning of the year you are promising to take part in this.When you do not do what you have promised you will be held accountable.This seems to be a hard thing for some people to understand.Our school is teaching our children valuable life skills spiritually ,academically and morally.There are Three parts to this way of life "time,talent and treasure" when you leave one or more of these things out."IT DOES NOT WORK"! As for pros and cons pros definitely out way the cons.As far as "clickly/gossipy group of parents. "Really"? I personally have not seen anything remotely close to that. But,if anyone else has.Unfortunately these things happen in life no matter where you are. As good christian people we should know how to deal with such matters. I love our school in it's entirety!

Posted September 5, 2013

We could'nt be happier with the choice we have made to bring our children to OLOR. This school has been nothing but welcoming to us from the day we steppped foot in the door. I echo what some other parents have said about " if you don't like it please leave" I do truely believe we are a community of caring people and it reflects in the parents, teachers and staff. Sister has set rules put into place for a reason, if this bothers some people, then sorry. Too many people go through life thinking that rules are made for others and not for them, this is not what we should be teaching our children. Every year the staff beams with pride when the announcement goes out about all the academic scholarships that are given. Usually the only ones not getting a scholarship are those attending a public school. We are small but we are mighty. our academics are what they are and the scores speak for themselves. My children are extremely happy here. They know that it is a balance between hard work and fun. This school has done just that. Many people like to stand on the sidelines and complain, come to a meeting and maybe you can fix the complaint or at least try.

Posted July 21, 2013

Very family-oriented, dedicated teachers, fabulous education with personalized attention for students. I couldn't be happier with the education my children receive.

Posted April 26, 2013

The parent involvement and the over all culture of the school is like no other. The parents that complain about no snack time and having too much homework, should send their kids off to a public school. OLOR's principal is a very dedicated person who ensures that the kids receive a quality education. Most kids excel in their high school of choice, because they have a strong educational foundation from this school. I also need to mention that the "public school kids" that play in our sports programs are part of our Religious Education program. They are also parish families, who support and contribute to OLOR as well. OLOR is a very caring school. There are plenty of other schools in the area (both private and public), for those who are unhappy at OLOR. There is a strong reason why they haven't left. The reason and the bottom line is that at OLOR the tuition is affordable, the quality of the education is very high. The parents of this school are very involved too.

Posted September 25, 2012

My daughter goes to Our Lady of the Ridge School and I believe I could find no better place for her education. The curriculum is tough and prepares every student for the future. Most of the graduates from OLOR are in honor classes in both public and private institutions. The school is small and can take the time to focus on the educational needs of each student.

Posted August 21, 2012

There are numerous posts about the excellence of the academics, and yet as a parent I did not see the enrichment opportunities or resources that we now have at another local school. I have never seen data that the OLOR test scores are higher than the local public options. With no science fair, no history fair, and questionable teaching qualifications, I am skeptical. Sorry that I didn't make the deciaion to leave sooner for the benefit of my child.

Posted April 17, 2012

Prospect parent poster before this- Why are all these recent reviews 'legitimate'? Because we care for our school family & we gather together to stand behind each other. I attended an open house before enrolling my daughter in kindergarten 4 years ago. The minute I walked through the doors, I knew we were home. The children & teachers were so welcoming, polite, & when I saw how the teachers interacted with the kids, I knew this was where I wanted my children to be. I do not live in the immediate area, but if I can handle driving my kids too and from school Monday through Friday, why can't I attend mass there? I've been fined the $100 for missed mass once, and I'm fine with it- it is cheaper than the non-parishioner rate that should be charged for not attending their mass. In the end, the education the kids receive, the respect that they are given & taught is an excellent foundation for children's educational life- you will never find another school like OLOR. Good luck with whatever educational route you choose for your child/ children- and if in the end you do choose OLOR, you won't be sorry!

Posted April 17, 2012

Dear prospective parent, you can attend mass at another parish. You just have to let them know that you are doing that for that week. If you do that, you won't be charged the additional $100. They are willing to work with you. The reason for that charge is that we have families that aren't doing their fair share for the church and school. If everybody would just do what they are suppose to, they wouldn't have to do that. If you aren't attending mass regularly, you aren't a parishioner and therefore should be paying the nonparishiner rate. That is where the extra $100 comes into play. I am sending 2 kids to OLOR for less than it would cost to send 1 elsewhere. Best of all, my kids are getting a quality education and a sense of community.

Posted April 16, 2012

OLOR is an excellent school with affordable tuition. Compare this tuition with the other Catholic schools around and you would be shocked at how much more affordable it is. The faculty is very caring and the classes are structured and challenging. Going to Church every Sunday is a small thing to ask of the families whose children are receiving this wonderful education and if you need to miss a few times they will work with you. The principal is extremely dedicated and devoted as well as the rest of the staff. The homework is appropriate for each grade level. I can't think of anything bad to say about OLOR!

Posted April 16, 2012

We have the lowest tuition for Catholic schools in the area. To be able to get that, all families must attend mass. I don't get what people don't understand about that. If you can't make mass that weekend, you just need to talk to Father Wayne and let him know your circumstances. It isn't that difficult, and it is something I have done myself. I personally don't want my tuition raised because people don't want to bothered with going to church. That is part of why you send your kids to Catholic school. Onto the school itself, OLOR's test scores are high. They have a music and art program (which is something my public school has cut). There is definitely sense of community too.

Posted April 16, 2012

Excellent school. Unlike many of the public schools in the area, they have art and music classes. The principal and teachers truly care about their students. Test scores are excellent too. As stated below, the tuition is affordable. In this economy, Catholic school is luxury, and OLOR has made it possible for many more of us to be able to afford Catholic School. Thank you!

Posted April 16, 2012

We love OLOR for so many things. The Catholic environment, the outstanding academics, but mostly because of the wonderful teachers and staff! They love and care for our kids as if they were their own. There is no price for peace of mind in knowing that your children are receiving a quality education in a genuine Catholic environment!

Posted April 16, 2012

Our Lady of the Ridge school is focused on providing the best education for their students.. They have truly provided a wonderful foundation academically and spiritually. The teachers continually strive to educate our children to the best of their ability. Our Lady of the Ridge students excel and achieve excellent standardized test scores. There is a strong sense of family at the school. There are many, families who volunteer at the school to provide all the children with a great sense of community from girl scouts, youth ministry and many other activities and organizations. Best of all we have seen many graduates from OLOR who have grown to become upstanding, caring and wonderful adults thanks to the great leadership of the Principal. We hope you will come to see OLOR. I encourage you to see for yourself what my family has already experienced!

Posted April 16, 2012

I understand the concern with having to pay an extra $100 for missing mass. However, I can guarantee that if your work required you to do this you would manage to find the time. It is funny that the only people who seem to be offended by this are the ones who attend church every week. If you don't want to be a "practicing" Catholic, then don't be hypocritical and send your children to a Catholic school. I am sorry that you are going to pull your children from our close knit school. They will truly be missing out. You should not be able to reap the benefits of our generous church if you do not consistently support it. Our school is overflowing with concerned staff and parents and you cannot put a price on this!

Posted April 14, 2012

I think OLOR is a fabulous school.. The Academics are the best around!My child has recieved a wonderful education and I couldn't of asked for anything better. The faith community is so wonderful. I would like to commend Sr. Stephanie for a job well done. The staff are wonderful and caring people. As for the others who complain about going to church, why send your child to a Catholic School if you don't plan to keep up with the faith. Hmm?

Posted January 8, 2012

My child will be leaving this school. They are charging parents $100 if they don't go to church. I work weekends and I usually go to OLOR, but sometimes going to another church meets our schedule. We should not be bullied into where we go to Church. These are hard economic times and I have been picking up extra shifts on the weekends to make ends meet.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Sr. Stephanie Kondik
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

• Instrumental music lessons

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10859 Ridgeland Avenue