Chicago Ridge, IL

Posted January 20, 2014
OLOR is a great school! Staff and teachers are very caring and helpful... I have two kids that attend and they love it. There is a lot of homework but that is normal with high academic standards... I am very happy to be able to send my boys to a catholic school and attending mass every Sunday is just a part of our stewardship life... for the families that are upset about the charges when you miss a Sunday mass you do not understand what a stewardship parish is and you shouldn't have sign up...everything is explained each and every school year... This school offers everyone opportunity to send their kids to school that supports our catholic values at affordable price. I am very thankful for people that keep it going... Thank you Sister Stephanie and Father Wayne!

Posted November 21, 2013
My 2nd child just started at OLOR. We transferred 3 years ago from another school. I can't tell you how much I appreciated how each teacher took the time to help my child catch up because they had fallen behind from their previous school. They stayed after school and gave individual help as well as the weekly tutoring offered to all. I have seen the change of confidence in my child and a sense of belonging here. I love how they teach respect and responsibility. . I credit the Principal Sister Stephanie who seems like she is always teaching the kids some small life lesson even if a comment when passing them in the hall. I see my child take such pride and responsibility in their work . I think it is a great education, I always see in bulletins that so many of the graduated students are on the A Honor Roll at Brother Rice, Mother McAuley, , Marist and I know Sister has said repeatedly that her job is to prepare our children for highschool. I think the sad negative comments are from the same couple of people that keep posting and saying they are leaving every year and they never leave. I would always do what I believe is best for my children and that is going to OLOR.

Our Lady Of The Ridge School 2

Posted November 20, 2013
This school is not what it appears to be. Two of the JR High teachers appear to not care. One speaks about her personal life during class instead of teaching religion. My child has learned more from attending CCD at another parish than at this school (the primary school). The math teacher is awful! She doesn't explain the subject at hand and yells at the children for not understanding. The kids are so frighted of her that they don't dare ask for fear of being ridiculed and embarrassed. This is a known problem; parents/kids have been complaining about this for years and the administration has done nothing about it. Math is a core skill and kids leave this place unprepared for high school. I definitely agree that there are clicky parents. Many are nice but it's surprising to see adults in clicks, especially in a Christian school. The worse is that it spills down to the kids ("My dad/mom does blah, blah, blah ... so we're better than you."). And the priest is awful! His only concern is money. He's rude, unfriendly, and does not interact with the school kids. Majority of the parishioners dislike him. Yes, tuition is cheap but you get what you pay for. Grief!

Posted November 13, 2013
My daughter has been struggling in math and spelling since the beginning of the year.Her teacher has went above and beyond any of my expectations to help her.We have come to the conclusion that she needs to be tested for learning disabilities.This is not an easy thing for any parent to hear.Sr. Stephanie and the teacher have been so supportive and helpful.I could not be any more thankful for them.They really have stepped up and they really care about all of the children at this school.I have seen this first hand.God has placed these special people here to care for all of our children. Thank you

Posted November 07, 2013
We have been members of the Parish way before my child attended the school.Yes, they do things a certain way at our school.It's called a "stewardship way of life". We all must take part in this in order for it to work.When you sign the covenant at the beginning of the year you are promising to take part in this.When you do not do what you have promised you will be held accountable.This seems to be a hard thing for some people to understand.Our school is teaching our children valuable life skills spiritually ,academically and morally.There are Three parts to this way of life "time,talent and treasure" when you leave one or more of these things out."IT DOES NOT WORK"! As for pros and cons pros definitely out way the cons.As far as "clickly/gossipy group of parents. "Really"? I personally have not seen anything remotely close to that. But,if anyone else has.Unfortunately these things happen in life no matter where you are. As good christian people we should know how to deal with such matters. I love our school in it's entirety!

Posted September 05, 2013
We could'nt be happier with the choice we have made to bring our children to OLOR. This school has been nothing but welcoming to us from the day we steppped foot in the door. I echo what some other parents have said about " if you don't like it please leave" I do truely believe we are a community of caring people and it reflects in the parents, teachers and staff. Sister has set rules put into place for a reason, if this bothers some people, then sorry. Too many people go through life thinking that rules are made for others and not for them, this is not what we should be teaching our children. Every year the staff beams with pride when the announcement goes out about all the academic scholarships that are given. Usually the only ones not getting a scholarship are those attending a public school. We are small but we are mighty. our academics are what they are and the scores speak for themselves. My children are extremely happy here. They know that it is a balance between hard work and fun. This school has done just that. Many people like to stand on the sidelines and complain, come to a meeting and maybe you can fix the complaint or at least try.

Posted July 21, 2013
Very family-oriented, dedicated teachers, fabulous education with personalized attention for students. I couldn't be happier with the education my children receive.

Posted April 26, 2013
The parent involvement and the over all culture of the school is like no other. The parents that complain about no snack time and having too much homework, should send their kids off to a public school. OLOR's principal is a very dedicated person who ensures that the kids receive a quality education. Most kids excel in their high school of choice, because they have a strong educational foundation from this school. I also need to mention that the "public school kids" that play in our sports programs are part of our Religious Education program. They are also parish families, who support and contribute to OLOR as well. OLOR is a very caring school. There are plenty of other schools in the area (both private and public), for those who are unhappy at OLOR. There is a strong reason why they haven't left. The reason and the bottom line is that at OLOR the tuition is affordable, the quality of the education is very high. The parents of this school are very involved too.

Posted September 25, 2012
My daughter goes to Our Lady of the Ridge School and I believe I could find no better place for her education. The curriculum is tough and prepares every student for the future. Most of the graduates from OLOR are in honor classes in both public and private institutions. The school is small and can take the time to focus on the educational needs of each student.

Our Lady Of The Ridge School 1

Posted August 21, 2012
There are numerous posts about the excellence of the academics, and yet as a parent I did not see the enrichment opportunities or resources that we now have at another local school. I have never seen data that the OLOR test scores are higher than the local public options. With no science fair, no history fair, and questionable teaching qualifications, I am skeptical. Sorry that I didn't make the deciaion to leave sooner for the benefit of my child.

Our Lady Of The Ridge School
10859 Ridgeland Avenue, Chicago Ridge, IL  60415
Last modified Our Lady Of The Ridge School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Our Lady Of The Ridge School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top