Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 2

Posted January 04, 2014
I'm truly disappointed in this school. I have two children there in kindergarten and 1st grade. I find myself doing more home schooling than the teachers are teaching. My children are not being challenged and this explains why the school was on the list to be closed last year. They would have done the children a favor had they been shut down. I don't recommend sending your child here. The classes are crowded which prevents room for one on one if needed. Children are not being challenged nor encouraged to go to the maximum potential. Those that are ready to move forward can't because they are being overlooked due to the one teacher and many students.The security for the children is limited. The location of the school is not in the best area and it appears that isn't being taken into consideration when providing appropriate staff. The school has no computers yet they will be tested this year on one. I don't see the concern in the children's success, I see the concern of keeping the budget at the children's expense. Don't get me wrong, there are some teachers there that are awesome. It's just not enough of them to go around to every class.

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 0

Posted April 13, 2010
Metcalfe has been a nightmare for my child he is in 2nd grade now he has attended this school since Preschool, the classrooms are way overcrowded and the teachers don't seem to really care about the children learning I would not recommend any child to go to this school I have taken my child out of this school I wish I had known what was going on in this school before my child's education level had fallen. I would visit my child classroom at lot and the teacher would put the kids outside the classroom and leave them out in the hall for long periods of time without doing any schoolwork and the classroom environment wasn't any better. In my oppionion this school needs to be ran by a new principal and new teachers they are failing these children.

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 1

Posted March 27, 2009

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 5

Posted June 03, 2007
Metcalfe does wonders for kids. They have many activities for students and have a very good staff that takes care of everything.They have the best teachers that understand the students and they have your child/ren coming home and telling you what they learned in school. I highly recommend this school.

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 5

Posted February 21, 2007

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 4

Posted April 29, 2006
Metcalfe has excellent teachers. They push the students to do their best. They have a lot of opportunities to be competitive: Science Fair, Young Authors, Math Counts, Speech Arts. The students that graduate are prepared for high school and beyond. We need more parents to get involved.

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 4

Posted August 23, 2005
I love Metcalfe! All of my children went there. Altough they are a bit low on funds, they pull it together to make a great learning enviorment!

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy 3

Posted November 25, 2004
I am a student at Metcalfe And I think the school has great teachers. It is just that the new rules at school make me uncomfortable. The kids at our school are rowdy. In the morning 7 th and 8 th graders have to line up in front of the building and stand out there until we are quiet and the younger kids are in. If your class has gone in already you have to wait outside. I remember one day it was raining and a stray dog was outside,most of us were scared, they told us to get in line and be quiet, we stood outside with a stray dog on the loose for a very long period of time. The school is fun and great to be at it's just that I am worried about standing in front of the school.

Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy
12339 South Normal Avenue, Chicago, IL  60628
Last modified Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Metcalfe Elementary Community Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top