Darwin Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 600 students

Darwin School is well known in our community for its Dual Language Program.

Posted Wednesday, October 15, 2014

This school is horrible. Apparently you shouldn't enroll your child here if they don't speak spanish. My child is being put back into 2nd grade because his teacher will not be returning and he doesn't speak spanish. No communication from the school was received prior to my inquiry. The principal doesn't care about the kids, he's more concerned with the school ratings and turning it into an all Hispanic school.

Posted October 21, 2013

This school is great! I LOVE their dual language immersion program where kids from English and Spanish speaking homes are put in the same classroom where they can learn the second language from each other! (Much more effective than traditional second language acquisition programs!) The research on this method is outstanding. Now is the chance for them to learn a new language!! The teachers also are also so committed to their work.! You can tell that they are pouring their heart and soul into their classrooms - and it shows! Great things are in store for this school and the kids who go there!

Posted August 31, 2013

My daughter goes to this school. The teacher are so nice and they get involved with the students. I attended this school when I was 6 yrs old it was such a fun school and the teacher are still nicer or even better than before. Oh and the principal Mr.segovia he always is walking around seeing If the students need anything or even saying GOOD MORNING to all the parents. I have to say my daughter couldn't be in a better school. Thank you for making my daughters shook experience an awesome one . She loves going to school everyday . THANKS AGAIN.

Posted August 29, 2013

.Tengo dos ni os en darwin , des de hace cuatro a os, presisamente en el a o en q entro el director nuevo yo entre con mis hijos, y dejenme decirles que estoy muy pero muy satisfecha con todos los logros y con todos los cambios q se han echo en la escuela,realmente es una escuela exelente , con un ambiente muy lindo todos muy amables que se siente uno como n casa, los maestro wwooww....que les puedo decir.exelentes por algo estan en darwin y por algo la escuela a crecido,gracias al director y su inparable lucha de sacar a la escuela adelante, les recomiendo la escuela al cien porciento,.. Solo me queda decirle a los maestros , al principal a todos los que trabajan en darwin q no me arepiento de estar ahi y mil gracias por todo su apoyo para con los padres y alumnos...gracias nuevamente..y BAMOS DARWIN.

Posted August 26, 2013

it is a safe school nice and cool teachers and i will never forget about Darwin Elementary school

Posted July 26, 2013

I had the great pleasure to coordinate two Junior Achievement volunteer events at Darwin Elementary this year. It was a total privilege to bring my executive and high school heroes volunteers to Darwin. Mr. Segovia and Ms. Davis welcomed our volunteers and showcased the amazing traits that make Darwin a wonderful school in Chicago's school serving the Logan area and beyond. I can confidently state that working with Darwin staff and students is one of the most enjoyable highlights of the 70+ event that I coordinate each year. Darwin students are bright, respectful, and adhere to a standard of excellence that Mr. Segovia and Ms. Davis ingrain in the school's culture & values.

Posted May 28, 2013

I have been doing volunteering work at Darwin School for the past four years. It gets better every year! I love how the Principal recognizes and celebrates school accomplishments. He has a strong sense of community and cooperation. You can visit the school s website for more information on their accomplishments. www.darwinelementary.com

Posted May 26, 2013

I went to this school and will always remember how hard the teachers worked !

Posted April 11, 2013

I have been working at Darwin School for three years and would not trade it for any other school. We have small size classrooms, there is a lot of fun activities planned for the students such as Spirit Week (this year returned), Talent Shows, Choir, sports teams, a store for students to trade Darwin tickets from positive behavior for fun activities. We have great teachers who are dedicated and hardworking. We are always collaborating and being exposed to new teaching practices so to improve our teaching. A number of classrooms have shown over 90% growth in MAPS testing. We have had very unique programs such as partnerships with Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Lyric Opera, and exchange programs with schools in Italy and Chile. There are many wonderful things happening at our school daily, I would recommend interested parents to schedule a visit.

Posted April 10, 2013

My daughter attended Darwin for kindergarten, left to attend a regional gifted center for first grade and returned to Darwin to complete the last quarter of first grade. I was underwhelmed by her former schools approach to academics and the enormous class size (31 is not acceptable for 6 and 7 year olds). Darwin's class sizes are small, the students are engaged, and my daughter loves being in the dual language program. I taught K-1 for seven years and am quite familiar with Chicago Public Schools. I am impressed by Darwin's ability to engage my daughter even though she is above grade level in both reading and math. Darwin may only have a GreatSchools Rating of 3 (which is ridiculous, in my opinion), but both my daughter and I love the school, staff, and curriculum.

Posted January 29, 2013

My son is a kindergardener at Darwin Elementary and we have been very impressed by the teachers, the principal and everyone involved at this school. We spent months looking for a school that offered high-quality education and after only a few months we realized we made the right decision. Our son really loves his school and we look forward to many years at Darwin Elementary.

Posted January 29, 2013

My son is in Kindergarten, also in the dual language program. We applied to several dual language magnet programs across the city for which he was placed on a waiting list and did not get in before I realized there is a school right in our neighborhood that has one. We visited the school and felt really good about their program after speaking with the dual language coordinator and principal, and enrolled out son right away! They were awesome about letting us enroll even though we live just outside the neighborhood boundaries for the school. We have been very happy with our decision. Our son is excelling in school and seems to really enjoy it. All of the teachers seem to really care about the students as does the principal. Our son is learning Spanish and we are excited for him to spend his elementary career at Darwin! They also have an exchange program for eighth graders and a great parent community.

Posted January 29, 2013

Not only are Darwin's language immersion program, teachers and staff great, but it also has tremendous parental involvement - courtesy of Logan Square Neighborhood Association's award-winning Parent Mentoring program, a plethora of parent volunteers, and, I hear, a newly-forming Friends of Darwin group.

Posted January 28, 2013

My daughter is in the dual language kindergarten at Darwin and she absolutely loves it! She is performing above grade level in English and Spanish. Her teacher has truly gone above and beyond the call of duty to ensure my daughter has every resource necessary to thrive. The teacher communicates with me daily regarding my child's behavior and academic endeavors. Additionally, the support staff (counselor, psychologist, nurse, etc.) have all been phenomenal in managing my child's 504 (medical/disability plan). I most appreciate the parent volunteer coordinator on staff for her monumental success at engaging parents in the education process and achieving Healthy School status. Darwin participates at the nationally renown parent mentor program of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association and there is always a parent mentor in my child's class of 20 students to assist the teacher. Next year we look forward to participating in the after school programming for 1st-8th graders at the nearby Boys and Girls club that partners with Darwin as well. Darwin is a community where my daughter and I are appreciated, valued, and challenged to grow. I highly recommend the school.

Posted November 8, 2012

My child is a first year Pre-K student in the bilingual classroom at Darwin. Darwin has a world language magnet program that allows them to teach in Spanish through eight grade. He has really learned a lot in just the first few months and LOVES it. All the parents and other children in his class are so sweet. There are only 20 in his class and every day there is the teacher, assistant and at least one parent volunteering. Parents are always welcome in the classroom and I love that we get to know the other parents while our kids eat breakfast there together. I think this school may have had some issues in the past but it is clear they are working through them. I am glad that we took the time to take a tour, meet the teachers and learn more about the school.

Posted June 11, 2012

As a teacher at Darwin, it is my opinion that the school is moving in the wrong direction. The principal at Darwin is terrible. He wouldn't even allow the student council to organize a "spirit week"! Students organized, planned, and presented options to the principal and were shot down. Then, teachers stood up for the students and one of them got fired!!! There is a new culture at Darwin that is not healthy or beneficial for anyone involved. The school has had some great teachers, but some have been fired, some have transferred, and others are just counting days to retirement. Darwin was a good school about three years ago, but the new principal has created a toxic environment for everyone in the building. You will notice that the principal has not even taken the time to complete the school's profile on this website - he probably doesn't even know about it.

Posted September 11, 2009

I have been a teacher at Darwin for over 18 years. During that time, I have seen a lot of improvement. Our scores have gone up every year for the last 7 years. We have many opportunities that other schools don't have, such as having sister schools in other countries that our students visit. Mary Beth Belda,Sped.tchr.

Posted April 1, 2009

It is the best school in the are 4, have a lot of parent involvement every year. It have a parent mentor program and have around 50 parents helping inthe school, classroom, lunchroom etc. Tell me what school in this area have such amount of parent helping in the school doing a huge difference in education........

Posted September 18, 2008

I feel darwin is not a good school because there is no activities at this school for the children. The principle involvement is poor and my children didnt feel safe. Even though my children are old enough to walk by them self, i still had to be there to take and pick them up because of the unsafe activities accuring at or around the school. Itransfered my children this year to a school i felt was more caring about all its student something i couldn't get at darwin.

Posted April 5, 2007

Overall this is a school in need of help. Students do not feel safe and the school officials don't seem to care much. My kids have been attending darwin for 6 years and I am not aware of these sports programs they advertise. I am very dissapointed with this school and their interest in their students. Look elsewhere !

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students37%

Students with disabilities (IEP)10%
Students without disabilities43%
English language learners21%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students38%

Hispanic44%
Low income42%
Students without disabilities49%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Silver Recognition for Healthy School Choice (2012)
  • Go for the GOLD School (2013)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Mauricio E Segovia
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • CTA card for STLS
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Art room
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Holland And Knight www.hklaw.com

• None
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parent Mentor Program
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Selective Enrollments H.S. in CPS