Chicago, IL
After care: No

Posted March 23, 2015
As someone who worked at Darwin I can say the school has a BIG BULLY not only with students but with his colleagues and staff his name is Mr. Segovia the principal. When working there he had me sit at the security desk 3-4 hours and when I would could be doing my job. Which was attendance clerk when I would bring up the subject of the school needing 2 security guards for each building he told me before he hired a security guard he would get rid of me so than he can have $$ to pay the security officer. So from what I know til this day he still only has 1 security officer for both buildings.
3 people found this helpful

Darwin Elementary School 4

Posted March 20, 2015
Great teachers but probably one of the worst places to work in the city. These teachers are pressured, overworked, and bullied by the administration. I should know I worked there and was basically forced out by a principal who cared more about his own political ego and success than the actual success of the students and working staff. I give four stars for the people that work there and the history of the place but make no doubt teachers here are miserable! I write this not to bash him but to support and let it be known about the working conditions for the teachers at Darwin.
6 people found this helpful

Posted March 20, 2015
I transferred my daughter out of Darwin this past summer after learning about an incident that was spearheaded by the principal of Darwin, Mr. Segovia. Last year I learned would be the final year that CPS would have to administer the ISAT standardized test. In a brilliant attempt to motivate his students, I learned that Mr. Segovia organized AND lead an ISAT pep rally. Here is the KICKER all of the students that met or exceeded state standards wore pre-made shirts labelled met or exceeded on the back of their shirt. All of these students were led around the school by Mr. Segovia and the Darwin cheerleaders, while all of the students who did NOT meet or exceed (even Special Ed students) were told to stand and clap for their peers. What kind of a principal would promote this borderline abusive behavior, AND get away with it!?! My daughter came home in tears and told me what had happened, and how so many of her friends and classmates who had to stand and clap were humiliated and left feeling DUMB. Way to go Principal Segovia, what a standard you have set for your students!
6 people found this helpful

Posted January 06, 2015
This school is such a great school from the teachers and staff to the diversity in the students. Every teacher is very supportive and is very hands great welcoming vibe from everyone there and a very hands on principal they do everything they can to see that your child succeeds.

Posted November 04, 2014
Darwin School has so much to offer to the students, parents and community. I am so happy that my children come to Darwin. This is their second home, where they not only prepare themselves for their future education but also where they feel safe and loved. Thank you to everyone at Darwin School, for working so hard!
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 27, 2014
I'm a student in 8th grade Its a pretty good school with a leadership program called "leader in me" the teachers and principal really care about the students and want to see them succesed and I wish I could have such loving teachers in high school

Posted October 15, 2014
This school is horrible. Apparently you shouldn't enroll your child here if they don't speak spanish. My child is being put back into 2nd grade because his teacher will not be returning and he doesn't speak spanish. No communication from the school was received prior to my inquiry. The principal doesn't care about the kids, he's more concerned with the school ratings and turning it into an all Hispanic school.

Posted October 21, 2013
This school is great! I LOVE their dual language immersion program where kids from English and Spanish speaking homes are put in the same classroom where they can learn the second language from each other! (Much more effective than traditional second language acquisition programs!) The research on this method is outstanding. Now is the chance for them to learn a new language!! The teachers also are also so committed to their work.! You can tell that they are pouring their heart and soul into their classrooms - and it shows! Great things are in store for this school and the kids who go there!

Posted August 31, 2013
My daughter goes to this school. The teacher are so nice and they get involved with the students. I attended this school when I was 6 yrs old it was such a fun school and the teacher are still nicer or even better than before. Oh and the principal Mr.segovia he always is walking around seeing If the students need anything or even saying GOOD MORNING to all the parents. I have to say my daughter couldn't be in a better school. Thank you for making my daughters shook experience an awesome one . She loves going to school everyday . THANKS AGAIN.

Posted August 29, 2013
.Tengo dos ni os en darwin , des de hace cuatro a os, presisamente en el a o en q entro el director nuevo yo entre con mis hijos, y dejenme decirles que estoy muy pero muy satisfecha con todos los logros y con todos los cambios q se han echo en la escuela,realmente es una escuela exelente , con un ambiente muy lindo todos muy amables que se siente uno como n casa, los maestro wwooww....que les puedo decir.exelentes por algo estan en darwin y por algo la escuela a crecido,gracias al director y su inparable lucha de sacar a la escuela adelante, les recomiendo la escuela al cien porciento,.. Solo me queda decirle a los maestros , al principal a todos los que trabajan en darwin q no me arepiento de estar ahi y mil gracias por todo su apoyo para con los padres y alumnos...gracias nuevamente..y BAMOS DARWIN.

Darwin Elementary School
3116 W Belden Ave, Chicago, IL  60647
Last modified Darwin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Darwin Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top