Public charter
Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,475

Posted August 19, 2014
every thing about the school gets less than 1 star .my children would be behind if they transfer to another school .

CICS Longwood 3

Posted June 16, 2014
This school isn't perfect but defiantly worth it. I been at Longwood since kindergarten I'm am now a eight grader leaving to go to a different high school. Over the years you can see the growth in our school from the students ,parents ,and staff. They've had there ups and downs (more downs than ups) but as of getting a good education from Longwood it's granted . Longwood defiantly is not a pressure zone so if you want your kid stress and overwhelmed by anything in this school it's not going to happen. I wanted to write this because I see many mixed review about my pass school I was not a big fan of it but I know cps couldn't do a "ANY" Better. Longwood would be a great choice if your applying some of my thoughts and facts from the school. Who better to tell you than a student who sees it all and not getting paid to write this.

CICS Longwood 2

Posted June 09, 2014
The school would probably be better if they would get qualified teachers with patience for the kids and supplies, my child has been there two years, 1st year was great with 5th grade teacher mrs. Muhammed, This year terrible to many young teachers that seem to be fresh from college with no experience on how to deal with students, but they do know how to bad mouth the class and degrade the students , longwood need cameras in class to catch the teachers on facebook and shopping on line, I am looking for a school for my child to attend. longwood probably was a good school but i wouldnt recommend it anymore to anyone serious about there childs education. I give 1 star for teacher qualification because its not all of them but a good hand full

CICS Longwood 2

Posted March 24, 2014
THIS SCHOOL IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. THE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN MOST PARENTS AND TEACHERS IS VERY LOW. THERE ARE A FEW TEACHERS WHO CARE BUT MOST DON'T GIVE A HOOT. THE KIDS AREN'T LEARNING MUCH OF ANYTHING THAT THEY DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW.. THE SECURITY STAFF PICKS ON THE KIDS AND TALK DOWN ON THEM.CURRENTLY SEARCHING FOR ANOTHER SCHOOL FOR MY TWO KIDS. THE SCHOOL HAS WENT DOWN HILL IN THE PAST 2 YEARS. THE CURRICULUM IS TAUGHT WITH VERY FEW EXAMPLES. BUT THAT'S WHY LEARNING STARTS AT HOME.. I PUT IN MORE WORK WITH MY KIDS THEN THE SCHOOL DOES. HAVING A 4TH AND 5TH GRADER WHO ISN'T BEING TAUGHT TO WRITE IN CURSIVE BESIDES AT HOME IS RIDICULOUS.. THEY HAVE ATTENDED THIS SCHOOL SINCE KINDERGARTEN. LOOMIS WAS A GREAT SCHOOL.. GREAT STAFF. FOR THEM TO ATTEND THE LARGER PART OF THIS CAMPUS WAS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I AM SO UNSATISFIED WITH THEM. NOT ENOUGH ACTIVITIES FOR THE STUDENTS. I WOULD RATHER SEND MY KIDS TO CPS. THE NEW TAKE OVER DESTROYED THIS SCHOOL. USA CHARTER DIDN'T HELP THIS SCHOOL, IT ACTUALLY BROUGHT IT DOWN. STAFF SHOULDN'T TALK DOWN ON STUDENTS. THEY SHOULD LIFT THEM UP. I'VE NOTICED KIDS BEING BULLIED BY STAFF AND OTHER STUDENTS AND NO ACTIONS WAS TAKEN. CALLING THE BOARD

Posted June 27, 2013
I agree with the comment below this school year was awful I pulled my child out and I will not send my child to this school

Posted June 14, 2013
CICS Longwood would not be an institution that I would recommend for any student, parent, and especially teachers looking for a job. The school went through four principals in the first year under a different management group, Charterschools USA. The company was very skimpy with funding for the teachers: there was no curriculum bin for supplies like every other school I worked at and the use of computers is atrocious! Starting teachers were given zero direction or support and had to figure out what to teach. Outside of readin the use of computers for lessons or standardized tests was off limits. for a population of 1400 students there was two labs which had tech classes for freshman and sophomores and two laptop carts which were moved from classroom to classrom for a reading program. Finally the biggest problem is an inept administration which gives no disciplinary action for students. Students could hit each other with shoes or books and get sent immediately back to class. Students (yes more than one time) who brought guns in to school and threatened to use them were not expelled. And for the second consecutive year well over half the staff has been let go at years end.

CICS Longwood 4

Posted April 16, 2013
I think this is a good school now, but I have notice some changes, parents must get very involve with there chidren, the teachers need there help.

Posted November 20, 2012
I would agree with all posted reviews about cics longwood under the edison structure. The school is slowly going down since the take over of charter usa(florida base company). Most of the wonderful staff that we have grown to love and so have our child have been replaced by below standard teachers. This is one of the schools that the city is looking to close come school year 2013-2014.

CICS Longwood 5

Posted June 05, 2011
CICS Junior Academy works collaboratively with teachers, curriculum specialists, leadership and other team members to design and implement content-rich and standards-aligned curriculum. I personally develop a strong, collaborative classroom community maintain organization and structure within the classroom. Longwood teachers work in collaboration with parents to ensure student mastery and development. Longwood engages in ongoing assessment of students using multiple forms of assessment as well as a variety of learning tools, including technology, to enhance student learning. We design innovative learning experiences for students, participate in regular school-wide professional development along with participation in and organize culminating projects to assess student learning. We pride ourselves in contributing to and participating actively in the school's professional learning community and improvement efforts. My child attends Loomis Primary and I look forward to them moving on up to Longwood.

CICS Longwood 5

Posted March 01, 2011
The CICS Junior Academy hosts an environment where staff and students can count on one another. In our classes, we strive to teach and build foundational skills so that students are college bound. In our classes we focus on cooperative learning, it is our goal that we produce students whom possess 21st century skills to be responsible productive citizens in their futures. Our students are encouraged to read daily, as a result our students own self-efficacy has increased and they are more motivated to reach success! Our students are provided with technological resources to increase the level of education provided and address the various learning styles. Through our monthly benchmarking system, it shows that our students continue to make great gains in their core subject areas. With a wealth of extracurricular activities, our students are implored to reach beyond their academic achievements and promote their personal talents. At Longwood, we believe in encouraging, rewarding, and motivating our students to be the best that they can be. CICS Longwood is an excellent school of choice!

CICS Longwood