Public charter
Chicago, IL
Before care: Yes

CICS Northtown 4

Posted November 22, 2014
As a student, this is a good school. The teachers are nice as well as the deans. If you are experiencing bullying, just contact the teachers and the issue is resolved. Negative views given by students are wrong since the students who write them slack off, disturb class, and whatnot.

Posted August 04, 2014
northtown so far is not the best highschool for any student to apply to because of their strict uniform system, overpriced lunch, the staff hardly ever works\and the school is really poor. I've been a student at northtown for 4 years now and I hate it. If you apply at north town always go to the GENERAL class because the teachers there are less strict, they provide you more time to study, learn and the lessons that they teach goes faster because of how these GENERAL teachers help you and learn the lessons better.

CICS Northtown 3

Posted June 19, 2014
I went to Northtown from 2007-2011 & I loved it for the most part. The curriculum was challenging & the teachers always helped me after school & gave me extra practice whenever I asked for it. I didn't like that a lot of students were allowed to break rules & not get punished for it. The deans always picked on certain people & were ALWAYS looking for something wrong with them to punish them for it. I once got a Saturday detention for being late to class when I was not the one that was late. I told my teacher about it & she took so long to email the dean that I ended up having to go to the detention so I wouldn't lose my senior privileges when I didn't deserve it to begin with. This was unfair considering that the mistake got cleared but I was still punished for it. All the rules do not in any way apply to everyone.I dyed my hair half blonde my Junior year & was forced to change it & asked by the principal to not return until I did.There was another girl with her hair just the same way and she never got asked to change it or asked to leave school.Overall, if you want a good education, this is a great school.If you want respect & fair treatment, don't even bother with this school.

Posted June 16, 2014
I went here and it was horrible. Here's why: 1. The staff were extremely power-hungry and demanding of the students. It wasn't a matter of them caring for their grades, it was just a matter of them hating their lives and making their students suffer for it. There's a difference between caring, and simply enforcing the rules because you want to have control over the students, which they did every second, even if the student were 18 years old. 2. The teachers, not all but a lot, were always slacking-off and barely taught their classes. Pretty much ever class was a time for relaxation and mingling. 3. The teachers favored a small group of inconsiderate students who conveniently were the top of their class, received the most awards, honors and scholarships, and also received the most credit for things they never did. 4. The school took credit for its students accomplishments, meaning that if a student got their life back on track all by themselves, the school would try to take credit by claiming they influenced the change, when really, the school didn't. It happened many times. Don't think of this school as anything special; they lie on their website about it being a fantastic place.

CICS Northtown 3

Posted November 18, 2013
A fair review is a considerate review. Therefore this gets a 3/5 since it's pretty terrible, but most schools in the area aren't great, so it's average at best. Faculty are pretty much in and out every year, you/ your child probably aren't going to know a lot of the teachers by the final year due to them all getting fired. The lunch is disgusting and expensive, every student either buys junk food with their parents money or fills out a form to get free lunches, even if their family isn't financially struggling. More importantly, the education is insufficient. The most common trend of all the classes is the teacher tries to teach the material, the majority of the class is uninvolved or unfocused, the expectations for the criteria is not met, and the teacher ends up trying to negotiate with the class. Every teacher tries to engage the class by having them help work out how the class should go, and it never works. I personally believe that little to no knowledge is retained from most of these classes, and the knowledge taught that is retained could easily be taught much quicker/efficiently. Overall, don't choose this school for anything other than a high school diploma.

CICS Northtown 4

Posted November 14, 2013
I graduated this year and I cannot expand on saying how much I miss this school. Yes, this school might not be the best, but I sure do not regret ever coming to this school. As any other student, I've had my good and bad experiences; but after all, it is the student himself who shapes how he is viewed among his peers. In all honesty, the school has a decent set of staff. The only problem that I ever encountered was the possibility of having a new teacher for a new semester, while all of the good ones left for better schools. Oh yea, I hated the crowded hallways. Despite the teachers being mostly new, they are quite friendly and enjoyable. As I've read throughout the reviews, many often blame the teachers and the school for unfairness, but I all I have to say is that most of it is lines and lines of excuses to justify a person's failure. Yes, many students cheat and are often praised for it, but we all know that people like that will never be able to execute in the real-world. It's nice and simple, what you get from this school is what you strive to achieve. No one will come and praise kids who are stubborn in both their personality and academic performance. GO PUMAS!

Posted October 31, 2013
This school is horrible. Every day, I am bullied and walked over by the popular students. They treat me like dirt because the staff praise them to make them believe they are better than me. Nonetheless, the students all cheat. Im in honors classes and I see every day students looking up answers on tests and then get rewarded with scholarships for getting As on the test. Its not fair and nothing is done about it. Every day I beg my parents to remove me from this school

Posted October 20, 2013
I transferred from this school last year and I've had to take night classes at the school I transferred to because CICS Northtown Academy refused to transfer my credits. The administration believes I left the school because I didn't like it there when really my family moved to another state for work-related reasons. I didn't think the school was bad until they refused to transfer my credits and I had to give up half of my life just to make up my classes. I hope whoever sponsors this school reconsiders their investment. That's just absolutely ridiculous.

Posted September 30, 2013
Absolutely outrageous. I was called into the school because my child supposedly was violating the uniform code, and upon my entry, I saw another student breaking the rules by wearing sneakers rather than the required dress shoes. When I brought this matter to the staff, I was rudely ordered to mind my own business and worry about my child. I filed a complaint with CICS and have yet to heard back from them, and that was 3 weeks ago. I see what this school is doing. They don't fool me: they're favoring certain students. I can tell my child isn't the most popular student in the school, but I bet if he was, the staff would allow him to violate the uniform code like that. My child tells me that the student I saw breaking the rules was indeed popular and is still continuing to violate the rules and not be punished for it, however, my child still is. I don't know how a school as outrageous as Northtown is allowed to even operate. Please reconsider sending your child here.

Posted August 14, 2013
Northtown is suppose to be a good school but what many parents don't know is that the students a really treated unfairly. It seems that everything has gone down hill for this school and nobody wants to take the time to try and pull the school back up. It's very dirty in this school and as a punishment they make students clean up. Anyone can tell that most of the teachers aren't there to help students they are there to get the days over with and get paid. Many of the students do drugs and drink alcohol but no one knows because they do a very good job at keeping everything low key. This is a horrible school and many students have transferred out.

CICS Northtown