Public charter
Chicago, IL

Posted November 02, 2014
My son currently attends. On the good side, the school is very clean and well maintained. The teachers are great, and they are serious about doing their jobs. The kids, no matter how young or old, are very friendly. The staff is very hands on. For example, every morning before school, and every day after school, the staff stand outside in designated posts, where they greet the children and parents as they come, as well as make sure all the kids are safely inside. The bad side of things... The administration lacks a lot of leadership ability. There is a significant turnover rate with both teachers and administration, but I'm not sure why. Also, whenever I have had a question or situation come up, no one seems to have straightforward answer for me. I have even been given wrong information on several occasions, as have other parents I know. The BIGGEST problem is the class sizes. CICS generally touts a 16 to 1 student to teacher ratio. However, Wrightwood has 28 children in each class, with only one teacher and no extra help. They blame lack of funding, but they could easily solve this problem with student teachers who are not compensated. The teachers often seem overwhelmed.

CICS Wrightwood 1

Posted September 10, 2014
This school is a horrible school most of the teachers there won't even help the whole class with their work I raise my hand and the teacher looked up , saw my hand , and started to do something on his phone . The phones are another thing . The teachers are always on their devices . I believe that students should have their phones during school , because what if its a fire and the school has our phones what are we going to do with those burnt up phones that the school has................ Nothing like I thought . The teachers have no sign if respect for the students . One Time I had to go to the restroom really bad , because it was about 3:00 and I haven't went to the restroom all day and school starts at 7:50 and so I asked the teacher if I could go it's an emergency she was like * no you should have thought about that before you walked out the classroom yesterday * but I wasn't at school the day before because I had a funeral to go to . She said : if you use the restroom in my chair I will suspend you so I walked out of the class to use the restroom that is why I think Wrightwood is a horrible shool

Posted April 15, 2014
My son has attended this school since kindergarten and is now in 7th grade. He is doing well and I feel he will be ready for high school. The parking situation for after school pick up could use some help but overall the school is organized and keeps me informed on upcoming events. Most of the events are scheduled too late making it difficult for me to attend. If these events were scheduled for say 1hr after the school day...you may see more parent turnout. Asking someone to come back 3hrs after they just left...well...think about it. It's not going to happen. Overall, I like this school and would recommend it. My daughter is starting kindergarten and I really can't see any schools that measure up.

CICS Wrightwood 5

Posted March 22, 2013
CICS Wrightwood is a great school for their child to attend. The teachers actually communicate with the parents, either positive or negative. The staff is very involved in each childs education, from the officers, Administration, lunchroom staff, to maintenance. Our child has been attending here since kindergarten. We are pleased with her growth intellectually and socially. The Principal, Mr. Lewis, and both Mr. Dolan and Mr. Goodwin are very open to talk to and respond to parents and students needs in a timely manner. I hope that they continue to pull out of the future generations, the success that I see now.

CICS Wrightwood 5

Posted March 20, 2013
I really love my daughter going to this school.She has learn and gain allot over the pass years.She been going here sense 2nd grade. She is now an the 8th grade now.She is looking forward going to High School.But she also would tell me that she dose not want to leave.This school has made a better person today.Thanks to Ms.chase.You have made my daughter a better person.I'm glade she has a person like you an her life.Thank you for having the time to talk to her.She lives with her grandma,but her grandma really don't pay attention to her that much.But as a mother,I can tell she really likes you.She always telling me and her family about you.How wonderful and kind are you.As a mother she always coming home with a smile.She says you put a smile on her face everyday.I hope when she leave this year,you guys are still connect to each other.She really needs you,as she go far an life.But thank you so much Ms.chase.

Posted March 07, 2013
Dean of Students really enjoys his job. As the Dean of Students, he ensures students learn in a safe environment and disciplines promptly when students misbehaves. This is definitely the function of the Dean of Students. Robbing children of the internal feeling of joy is not the job of the Dean of Students. Having an expression on your face of satisfaction when you ve successful made a child feel unworthy, unwanted or bringing misery to a group of children just because you have the power is not the Dean of Students job. Building character and respect doesn t involve breaking a child spirit during the disciplinary process. CICS needs a Dean of Students that not only provides a safe environment, but also a person with the ability to feel empathy, build confidence in the students and a feeling of self-worth.

Posted July 11, 2012
Hello Parents! Interested in Putting My Child in This School, however, curious about the curriculum. Is there anyone here that can inform me about the curriculum used for fourth grade? Just Moved Here from California and I am trying to make the best decision for My Princess! Thank You!

Posted June 12, 2012
I really love the school, my daughter has learned so much and advanced tremendously in learning how to read and write novels and projects. She had learned more than I would have known, and I owe it all to the the school and Ms. Brockman.

Posted April 20, 2012
I enrolled my child at this school because I liked the way the school felt. I liked the fact that there were more seasoned teachers at this school. My child was here for the early primary years, a time when there is optimal growth and deveolpment of a young sponge-like mind. The cirriculum I felt was lacking, the school days too long, not enought time for lunch (15 mins.), and too much homework. The school will call you for the smallest infarction, I feel that's too rigid for smaller children. I'm not a teacher, but I do know children, and smaller children need breaks, or ways to burn off energy, I honestly do not believe that you can house children in a building for 7 1/2 hrs. and expect them to be quiet, sit still and remain focused on their schoolwork ~ REALLY!!?? I didn't like the fact that you have to make an appointment to see the principal, too many days off, like two half-days back to back, and not enough extra-cirricular activities. I opted to pull my child from this school and place him in private schooling, for smaller classes, a more challenging cirriculum, and a full 45 mins. for lunch and a break before returning to studies. I'll pray for the rest of you remaining.

Posted February 17, 2011
Really Good School !!!! My daughter has been a student at this school for three years now and I am more then pleased with this school. The principal, staff, and fellow parents all care about the children. I am a parent that works a normal 9 to 5 and I don't have the support system needed to pick my child up at the end of the regular school day, but thanks to CICS-Wrightwood After-Care program, which allows student to stay after school until 6pm, I am able to drop off and pick up my child without changing my work schedule. Overall, I think this is one of the better schools CPS has to offer.

CICS Wrightwood