Walt Disney Magnet School

Public | PK-8 | 1575 students

Posted September 6, 2011

I have two children here and this is my third year with Disney and I would recommend Disney to anyone! Every year that I have been here, they have introduced new programs and software to help the children succeed. Their emphasis on eduction, supervision, and technology is unmatched as far as I am concerned. There has not been a meeting that I have attended where the principal didn't take a few minutes to stop by and speak to parents and ask if they have any questions or concerns for her. She is amazing! The only concern that I have is their policy on small siblings at the school. Every event, (graduations, fairs, award ceremonies, orientation, etc), has a strict no children under five policy. This is a huge problem for me as I have two small children and literally no family and friends in Chicago. In all fairness, I do believe there are parents for this and they do record the events for you. You just have to pay $15 for them. With that being said, I still plan to have all my kids attend Disney! Seriously though, this school has re-built my faith in the public school system! The teachers and principals here are excellent! 5 stars!

Posted July 25, 2011

My daughter attended Disney for four years. She was placed in a classroom based upon her scores for comprehension. She eventually was placed in the gifted program. She wrote a letter in Msndarin Chinese to a pen pal in China and received a response. We never felt resources were that diminished during the three years she was not in the gifted program. She never expressed that she was distracted by the pods. She actually liked the open floor plan. Due to excellent preparation and optimism by a committed teaching staff, she was accepted to Young Academic Center. We enjoyed her participation on both the track and soccer teams. The art program was has a deserved great reputation along with an elective and theater programs. There is a PTA for parents who wish to meet other parents and create community. Our daughter thrived at Disney Magnet.

Posted July 25, 2011

We have two children at Disney and they both love the school. The accelerated classes offer Chinese, but after a few years I expected my older child to, at least, be able to speak in phrases, not just single words, as this is how language is learned. The open pod system can be difficult for some children-- it can get noisy in the pods, especially if teachers don't control their classes. I've spoken with more than a few parents who have mentioned that their child(ren) are having problems staying focused because of the noise level in the pods. There are lots of parents/relatives helping out in classrooms. I've heard a few complaints from parents whose children are not in the accelerated program that too many resources are devoted to that program. I question what resources they are speaking of: daily Chinese class; an annual special project and one assembly associated with that special project are the extent of expended resources that I see. The daily Chinese class is incorporated into the standard schedule... not as extra time devoted to these children. Teachers have been, mostly, excellent; executive staff can be a bit autocratic/unresponsive -this seems true at most CPS schools.

Posted August 11, 2010

My son has been in this school since kindergarten and I love it... He is in the gifted program and I couldn't be happier... The teachers are terrific (well perhaps except a few.. No names need it)... I am very pleased with this school and I plan to have him there until the 8th grade! :-D

Posted March 25, 2010

I have not been happy at Disney. My son is now in first grade and we are going to transfer him out to a different school. The pods are too much for him to process and the school itself is overwhelming in size. Academically, I think it is a decent school, but not as good as it could be.

Posted November 10, 2009

This is our second year and we love it. The principal clearly loves this school and loves the kids. My daughter is learning so much more than just the standard curriculum. I am so proud to be part of the Disney Family!

Posted October 3, 2009

It has a wonderful and diverse student population, with excellent educational programs, enhanced by teachers who care about their students.

Posted September 16, 2009

Professionalism from the top down. Best school principal! Best teachers! Awesome opportunities at this school for enrichment. I have experience at some of the top private schools, and this public magnet school is better than some of those. I'm proud my daughter attends this school!

Posted May 28, 2009

This is my daughter first year at Disney and I must say it has been very challenging for her. At her previous school she was an A student now her grades have slipped alot. I must say her teacher Ms. Parks is wonderful and has helped out alot. I was considering transfering her but she loves this school. So I am going to give this school another year and hopefully, everything goes well.

Posted April 1, 2009

My older son started Kindergarten this year, and we love it. His teachers are amazing and easy to communicate with. I was concerned at first about the open classroom plan, but most of the kids don't seem to have a problem with it. I get to volunteer a couple times a month in the class and am always impressed by how well his teacher handles her class and the noise level. The teachers also understand his need to wiggle and have been very accommodating. His focus has improved a lot since the fall. We chose this school over the other lottery choices we got because of the variety of activities (sports, music, art) and their integeration of art into the learning process, but we feel that we've gotten so much more.

Posted January 19, 2009

I have my two boys at Disney School and I am very happy with the accelaration of their curriculum. Both of my boys are bright and according to the topics and homework that they bring home I could tell that the teachers take them to the next level. As a teacher, I am very watchful of what is going on at Disney and I noticed that the teachers are always working so hard. Although I can't be there in the morning to actually see what the kids are involved in, from conversations with parent volunteers I know that the school is wonderful. The staff at Disney is warm and friendly to parents and kids. The school is diverse which is great for kids to be part of. As a teacher and parent I give Disney an A++

Posted December 4, 2008

My daughter has special needs and has been attending Disney since 1st grade. I have to say that the new push for full inclusion or full self contained is the wrong move. I am very disappointed with the new move, my daughter is struggling being in the regular ed. classroom all day. When asked for assistance I get a run down of all the children the special education teacher has and how hard she is working ( should that matter?). When asked for different placement I was told that she will have to go in a self contained class that has children who have major learning issues, my daughter just need some extra help and a slower pace, does this seem fair to take her away from all of her peers because she need more time and attention? I will probably remove my daughter from this school.

Posted October 17, 2008

My daughter is in the Gifted Program and I have to say that I love this program. It is challenging, fun & most of all the teacher are fantastic! I am amazed eveyday of the lessons learned that my daughter comes home to discuss. I highly recommend this school!

Posted October 14, 2008

It is an excellent school. They have an accelerated class (1 grade ahead) which also has Chinese.

Posted July 31, 2008

My son and daughther go to Disney and they love it. It is a great school and awesome teachers! I highly recommend it....

Posted March 16, 2008

The comunication between Teachers and Parents is very poorly. This particular year I'm very disapointed with the school. I'll give the school 1 start.

Posted September 20, 2007

This is our daughter's first year in the third grade. The teachers noticed her ability. She took her initial Stanford Learning test in week one. She was bumped up to a different home room. The pod system allowed for that flexibility and makes transition easier. All students are given the Stanford three times each year. The school's layout seems to rival and exceed some grammar schools on the Northshore. If you live in Chicago and pretend that magnet schools like Disney, Hawthorn, Stone and Wildwood are without merit, then your children lose out as well as your pocketbook. There is diversity, but the staff appreciates that it needs to work with children at all levels. There are children that make it into the gifted and more advanced home rooms in the pods. We can bike to school on the Lakefront, then I continue to work in the Loop.

Posted September 20, 2007

It is my daughters first year and so far I feel that it is a great school. The teachers are very attentive and nice. The acedemic part seems very well put together. Over all I think my daughter and myself are very happy here!

Posted September 20, 2007

I think the Disney School is the best one in Chicago; my grandchildren have thrived since going there. I currently have 2 granddaughters going to Disney and one (who is handicapped) will graduate in '08 happily. She has gone to Disney since 1st grade and loves it there; so does her younger sister. Their older brother went there from 3rd grade to 8th and graduated in '05 and did excellently. He's in his 2nd year of H.S. now and is still in the accelerated classes there as a result of Disney teaching etc. Disney is the best!

Posted September 19, 2007

This school is real good! I have postive feedback for this school. Yes Disnel has Open room (or pods as they call it) as their setting but this may not be for everyone. Some kids don't have a very good attention span for this kind of learning enviroment. Parent involment is always welcome but it is up to the parents to do so! I have witnessed that the parent involement in the gifeted programs to be more active than in other class rooms.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Female78%

Low income69%
Students with disabilities (IEP)20%
English language learners30%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female76%

Non-low income82%
Students with disabilities (IEP)29%
Students without disabilities86%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom