Walt Disney Magnet School

Public | PK-8 | 1575 students

Posted today

School is very cruel Principal is a drill sergeant docent let kids go out front too Get picked up from the inside schools have many problems some teachers are very rude

Posted Friday, October 17, 2014

Principal is a drill sargent, she has no business working with children. Principal will not work with parents or teachers. It is her way or the highway. Principal has no understanding of children and early childhood development. Principal has a representation that proceeds her, when I bring up Disney Magnet School on Marine Drive, I have had CPS teachers, speech therapists, social workers, special education teachers, all complain about the Disney Magnet School principal. Teachers who work at Disney are under allot of stress, due to the principal. That is no way to work. If teachers are stressed and treated poorly by the principal,how do you expect them to have patience with children?

Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fell out of love with Disney. Tremendous emphasis on testing, and not much in the way of enrichment programs even though the school is well-funded. Other schools offer a diversity of before- and after-school activities. Now that school starts at 7:30 a.m., the students walk around in a haze. It's unfair to expect the same level of performance when kids are fatigued.

Posted June 27, 2014

I have one graduate student and one upcoming 5th grader . About the teachers , they are all gifted , very hard working and helpful except for a few (new) The principal knows how to run the school .I'm very impressed. 8 years have been awesome. The school offers lot of activities and I've been happy and looking forward for the coming years. Good luck Disney I gave you a child and you gave me a star back!

Posted June 25, 2014

I am disappointed with how this school has gone down hill. Had a child there who graduated and was considering enrolling our other child. Convinced my sister to transfer their children out of there. The principal is a drill sargent and only cares about money. If parents dont agree with her she will not work with you. If you are one of her puppets then she is your best friend! I am sorry I let my child stay there so long, but glad they are done. This school is not challenging the students to their fullest. There are some good teachers but the principal is the same way with her staff, do what she says and play by her rules or your out. Just ask some of the teachers who have challenged her. Good luck to future parents who enroll their children there for this school year.

Posted May 27, 2014

Both of our children graduated from Walt Disney Magnet School. Our experience was positive; the teachers were great and the administrative team was tough but fair. Our children thrived in the POD environment and loved having classmates from all over the world. Our children were recommended to the gifted program but we turned down the offers (We did not see the need for the extra work.) Our son was accepted to North Side College Prep and our daughter was accepted to Lane Tech. They are doing very well and have great memories about their grade school years.

Posted April 28, 2014

The school is big and frantic but I think it prepares children for what big city life workforce is all about. The priniciple, although super tough, really does care about the kids. I guess you can't be too soft when you are running such a large school or it would probably be a disaster. They need to make improvements on how to properly and efficiently get the kids out to recess and anything else that involves free time. Also, like anywhere else, there are a few teachers who can use an attitude adjustment. One in particular, the art teacher. Very good school.

Posted February 18, 2014

My school is too noisy and too large. Not enough, none in fact, attention is given to processes involved in solving complicated math problems. Teachers have too much to do in a short amount of time. More teacher training is especially needed with language classes and math. Inexperienced instructors need more guidance. Parents are working overtime to make up for the deficiencies.

Posted February 8, 2014

This school has gone down the tubes. We've been there for 5 years and it used to be excellent. It just isn't the same this year. No recess, silent lunches, no running allowed on playground. I'm just sick of it. We have to move, I think. It's such a shame.

Posted February 3, 2014

At Walt Disney Magnet School, I have no problems with the teachers but lower grade administration is not helpful at all. Loved this school last year but extremely disappointed this year. It is very disheartening and I'm definitely going to try for different school for my kids next year.

Posted January 30, 2014

WEI enrolled my daughter for Walt Disney I in 2008/2009 year.The classroom teacher was nice,unfortunately the specials teachers were not.I witnessed the art teacher, the tall, in her late 50s,who wears a lot of accessories and long red nails asking kindergarten children hold their hands up, my assumption was " she must be putting stamps or stickers of some kind.No, she slapped each 5 year olds hands with her gigantic accessorised hand.I held back my tears and upon pick up told a couple of parents of that pod. I tried to write this review, but the site hadn't let it post, was kept blocking.I pulled out my child the next year.I still regret having sent my child through the traumatizing long experience. Also saw sub.teacher yelling at kindergartners to walk down the stairs in soldier style, making corners. The pod layout as my friend said it " worse than a third world country"

Posted January 30, 2014

Our daughter attended Walt Disney and was very happy with it. We care about her education and she transferred from a renowned private school. We were thrilled when she was chosen. She attended from third to sixth grade. She was 'placed' just below the gifted level. She was inspired by her teachers. She was on the Disney track team. In sixth grade, with the recommendations of her teachers, she was accepted into the gifted program for sixth grade and learned Chinese. She took the Academic Center tests, along with other Disney Students. As a result, she was accepted to Whitney Young's Academic Center. We regret that the current Mayor is diverting funding from good Chicago Public Schools. This may put more stress on educators and impact the quality. However, enough about my opinion on the poor oversight of Chicago Charter Schools. Each grade is broken down into home rooms, where the students are taught. Some home rooms focus on those to whom English is a second language, while another may work with more challenged students. We were very satisfied with Disney. Our daughter is now a Freshman in high school. No regrets. We'd do it again if we had the chance.

Posted January 28, 2014

I thought when I my child got into Disney that this was going to be a great experience and opportunity for him. It has not been. Kindergarten was fine. But I must say once the kids get to second grade the teachers openly admit that they yell at kids! The kids coming here majority seem to have discipline problems and the kids who really count and the school cares about are the gifted students. I am sure the positive views are from gifted parents. I also had a teacher openly admit that she does not do guided reading, had not heard my child read, nor could even tell me about my child's comprehension level. The students are also in a very tense environment with many rules in a chaotic environment. The technology is sub par, having a smart board and iPads is not special it is normal to be in every classroom now. The school does not pay for any special websites for kids to do extra learning. It is also very hard to contact teachers and to communicate with floor directors. I have once called everyday for three weeks before I finally got a hold of a floor director. Save your time and energy to invest in a school that really cares about kids and makes learning fun with high test scores.

Posted October 8, 2013

My child had a negative experience there that hurt his confidence and his love of learning. He started in 1th and I had to pull him out at the end of 7 th. yes! Very late and he was upset. There are so many kids like any other CPS school but teachers are pushed to do miracles they do what they can. And communication with most of them is impossible. They will just tell you "the kid has to study mam" they have no tutoring or any help (except if the child is in the gifted program ) . Kids fall in alternative programs when they can't catch up but there are not meetings w parents to solve the problem. I noticed my son was behind but I couldn't send him out of the school to get help like many of us. Kids than end up with IEP are considered lazy and treated as such. I looked for help for 2 years until finally one person heard me out but still i wonder about others who are struggling. teachers are not allowed to be them and grow and that same feeling is share with the students who are yelled at all times. Communication and involvement and genuine love of teaching plus lets just say appreciation for teachers is needed.

Posted October 5, 2013

It's a good school the teachers are great and my daughter she's learning a lot and she's happy to go to school every day.

Posted October 3, 2013

My daughters school is Walt Disney Magnet School. this school is one of the best schools in Chicago. they interact with the children and the parents and teachers involved in their learning.

Posted September 26, 2013

Love ...love ...love Walt Disney Magnet School!!! The teachers challenge the students in a fun way... My daughter absolutely loves waking up every morning and going to school. The principal is strict but, hey that's what the kids need and it works! GREAT JOB to the staff and Dr. Hagstrom.

Posted September 17, 2013

My daughter has had great teachers and learned so much in her two years at Disney. I definitely feel she is getting a good education along with some great extras-science arts this year is a fantastic addition. She enjoys coming to school every day. We love the diversity too. This school represents the city well. That being said, there is tension in the school. It is extremely large and everything must run like clockwork for there not to be chaos. This is why things may seem stricter than other schools. I know there is debate on Dr Hagstrom and whether her method of managing the school is the best or not. It can't be an easy job. I hope she realizes her teachers/staff are the face of the school. It pays to keep them happy. A more collaborative approach with them rather than a dictatorial one could prove most helpful. I want this to continue to be a school my daughter wants to attend.

Posted July 9, 2013

This school is insane! The administration terrorizes their staff with unbelievable expectations. The classrooms are noisy, slammed with children, and a difficult place for learning. The discipline problems in this school are like no where else I have seen and the administration's lack of follow through only makes it worse. I would never send my child here. The teachers are great and talented but they are placed in a situation in which they are going to fail one way or another. BE CAREFUL!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 4, 2012

I have two children at Disney, my daughter is a 4th grader and my son is in 1st grade gifted; both my children started at Disney as 3 year olds in the Tuition Based Pre-School. The teachers, staff and administration have always been great to my kids and my family. Some of our closest friends are other Disney families. My daughter and son have each been challenged by their respective curriculums. Whenever I have had concerns about my children's academic performance, their teachers have always addressed them and we worked together to help my children improve. Whenever my children have been hurt or gotten sick at school, I get a call immediately and my worry is alleviated because I know that the nurse or clerks will take care of my children until I can get them. Before enrolling your child at Disney, be sure to tour the school and make sure it's a good fit for you and your child. Academics always comes first at Disney. It's a large school with a lot of rules and an open learning environment (Pod system). It's up the each family to make connections with other families. Many things that work at small schools do not work at Disney. Ask lots of questions before enrolling your child.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Female78%

Low income69%
Students with disabilities (IEP)20%
English language learners30%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female76%

Not low income82%
Students with disabilities (IEP)29%
Students without disabilities86%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom