Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Walt Disney Magnet School 3

Posted January 31, 2016
My son is in second grade at Disney and it's been a rough year . This is my son's second year at Disney and I am seriously considering and applying to other schools. First of all my son left kindergarten reading at fourth grade level and testing in the 99th percentile in reading standards and 89th percentile in math and he came to Disney and was not moved to the gifted classroom for first grade. My son is very active and a typical little boy and I'm guessing that is why . The school doesn't have any programs besides the occasional cac performance and awards assembly. The teachers focus more on discipline than they do teaching or learning the children ...My guess is because of the principal. They rarely ever go on field trips and the Parent -teacher communication is very poor ! If something happens in school I rarely ever hear about it from a teacher , I hear about it from my second grader . Part of the office staff are rude and unprofessional and a lot of the rules just don't make sense .. And again the communication with parents is horrible . My son was sick for an entire day just a few days ago and no one contacted me , he slept through a gym period and I wasn't contacted .. And he had a virus ! They don't seem to care about the children , that aren't the occasional "little grown person". They don't challenge children or use fun techniques . I honestly don't think they care .. They are not what they once were. I enjoy my sons reading teacher this year and I loved my sons first grade teacher , she was amazing ! I guess it's a better option than other Cps schools... However, they really need to fix so many things !!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted January 31, 2016
I would like to thank Ms. Brandt , she was a lovely teacher who really cared about her students and paid attention to them and their growth and Ms. Bedell .

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted January 31, 2016
The good teachers are great teachers and the ones who are not are not. It's all on the individual and how they choose to run their classroom.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted January 31, 2016
I haven't seen a school wide initiative to help students strive for excellence , with the exception of the gifted classes.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted January 31, 2016
This school practices fear in its students with the exception of some teachers. This is just in my experience.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted January 31, 2016
This school honestly doesn't do anything meaningful . They don't talk about feelings or have sharing or community exercises ..

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted January 31, 2016
There has been shaming that I have seen in this school by teachers and students.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 29, 2015
I want to thank all of our teachers: Ms. Shives, Ms. Torres and Ms. Bedell. They have all been fantastic.

Walt Disney Magnet School 5

Posted November 29, 2015
My daughter is a second grader at this school. She needed help with reading when she was in kindergarten so she had to do direct instruction and small group work. Her reading skills improved dramatically in just a few months. Her teachers have all been wonderful. They are accessible and respond to emails quickly. We also have been doing the after school program and that has been great for her as well. Her grades have improved and she has better social skills now. We are very happy with this school.

Walt Disney Magnet School 5

Posted March 22, 2015
I have 2 kids in the gifted class (5th and 8th grade) and they're happy there. 8th grader is very sad to leave Disney but also thankful that she'll be attending Jones College Prep next year. Great teachers and principal is tough but she knows her job and doing it the best way!

4140 N Marine Dr, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Walt Disney Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walt Disney Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 94 reviews. Top