Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

2015/ 2016 school yr is my daughter's first yr at Disney. What a wonderful school yr it has been. I was on the fence about sending her here bc of distance. It's the best desicion I could have made. I've read a lot of ratings & reviews from various sites & didn't know what to expect. Now I'm happy to share my thoughts & opinions. The principal runs a tight ship. This is fine in my opinion bc I like structure & feel kids need it. I've never had a problem, question, or concern that wasn't address in a timely manner. Also the school welcomes parents for trips, field day, & various other events/ activities. My daughter's classroom, music, dance (Ms. Smith), & Mandarin teachers are the best. Disney is so diverse that my daughter's Kindergarten class looks like a rainbow of children from everywhere. My daughter learn a lot academically but also from all the different cultures right in her classroom. The PTA is great & will help out in anyway possible. I have not 1 compliant. Hats off to the staff & principal. Job well done. I love this school. My daughter reads & does math on a 3rd grade level & she's only in kindergarten. Thanks Disney for a wonderful school yr!!!!

My son is in second grade at Disney and it's been a rough year . This is my son's second year at Disney and I am seriously considering and applying to other schools. First of all my son left kindergarten reading at fourth grade level and testing in the 99th percentile in reading standards and 89th percentile in math and he came to Disney and was not moved to the gifted classroom for first grade. My son is very active and a typical little boy and I'm guessing that is why . The school doesn't have any programs besides the occasional cac performance and awards assembly. The teachers focus more on discipline than they do teaching or learning the children ...My guess is because of the principal. They rarely ever go on field trips and the Parent -teacher communication is very poor ! If something happens in school I rarely ever hear about it from a teacher , I hear about it from my second grader . Part of the office staff are rude and unprofessional and a lot of the rules just don't make sense .. And again the communication with parents is horrible . My son was sick for an entire day just a few days ago and no one contacted me , he slept through a gym period and I wasn't contacted .. And he had a virus ! They don't seem to care about the children , that aren't the occasional "little grown person". They don't challenge children or use fun techniques . I honestly don't think they care .. They are not what they once were. I enjoy my sons reading teacher this year and I loved my sons first grade teacher , she was amazing ! I guess it's a better option than other Cps schools... However, they really need to fix so many things !!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The good teachers are great teachers and the ones who are not are not. It's all on the individual and how they choose to run their classroom.

Develops character: Disagree

There has been shaming that I have seen in this school by teachers and students.

My daughter is a second grader at this school. She needed help with reading when she was in kindergarten so she had to do direct instruction and small group work. Her reading skills improved dramatically in just a few months. Her teachers have all been wonderful. They are accessible and respond to emails quickly. We also have been doing the after school program and that has been great for her as well. Her grades have improved and she has better social skills now. We are very happy with this school.

I have 2 kids in the gifted class (5th and 8th grade) and they're happy there. 8th grader is very sad to leave Disney but also thankful that she'll be attending Jones College Prep next year. Great teachers and principal is tough but she knows her job and doing it the best way!

My kids are no longer at this school and I am very happy about that. One of my kids needed an IEP and the other was gifted. Getting help for the one who has been behind in speech since he was two was difficult. They made me feel like it was my fault or like I was being ridiculous. His new school offered all of the services I had requested at Disney within the first few months of school. It wasn't in my head and he has absolutely flourished. My other kid was in the gifted program and boy I thought it was really challenging and she was ahead of her peers only to move to another district in the suburbs and have her NOT be above everyone else. However, it is a good option compared to other city schools. If your child does not score well on testing, they will be placed accordingly and my kid was bullied horribly because he was placed in the low performing class. They did respond to this but the bullying continued. He hated school and cried every day here. I will always regret not pulling him out sooner. He now loves school and has friends. Look beyond the rating. Many teachers and staff will tell you this school is purely focused on getting high test scores.

I have been at Disney for 9 years (finally graduating this year), and I must say, these 9 years of my life have been absolute torture. First of all, No Walls. It is so hard to concentrate and to hear instruction from teachers and thats how I often do poorly on my tests/quizes. Second, most of the teachers are horrible and dont know what they're doing 99% of the time. It's ridiculous. And if you're gonna come to this school, at least come to the Gifted program because the regular classes are not challenged and are all dumb and are all misbehaved kids. This is expierence from me, a student in the gifted program, and having a sister, who is in a regular class and gets no homework and isnt motivated at all. Third of all, the rules are RIDICULOUS. We have to stay in a single file line and be quiet everywhere we go and im sick of it. We are told to be quiet every second, even recess! Also, during recess, we have to walk laps around the hallway, which is absolutely irritating. I use recess as a time to read or interact with my friends but they take this privilege away from me and everyone else.

This is my daughter's first quarter at Walt Disney and so far the school has been absolutely great! She is on the Honor Roll and loves going to school every day. The student body is diverse and representative of the city. As a parent, I've had only positive interactions with her teachers as well as the administration. My daughter is being challenged on a daily basis; which is what a great school should do. She attended a small school beforehand and we found no problem with her transition. Good job Disney!

School is very cruel Principal is a drill sergeant docent let kids go out front too Get picked up from the inside schools have many problems some teachers are very rude

Last modified Walt Disney Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.