Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,575

Posted March 22, 2015
I have 2 kids in the gifted class (5th and 8th grade) and they're happy there. 8th grader is very sad to leave Disney but also thankful that she'll be attending Jones College Prep next year. Great teachers and principal is tough but she knows her job and doing it the best way!

Walt Disney Magnet School 3

Posted March 02, 2015
My kids are no longer at this school and I am very happy about that. One of my kids needed an IEP and the other was gifted. Getting help for the one who has been behind in speech since he was two was difficult. They made me feel like it was my fault or like I was being ridiculous. His new school offered all of the services I had requested at Disney within the first few months of school. It wasn't in my head and he has absolutely flourished. My other kid was in the gifted program and boy I thought it was really challenging and she was ahead of her peers only to move to another district in the suburbs and have her NOT be above everyone else. However, it is a good option compared to other city schools. If your child does not score well on testing, they will be placed accordingly and my kid was bullied horribly because he was placed in the low performing class. They did respond to this but the bullying continued. He hated school and cried every day here. I will always regret not pulling him out sooner. He now loves school and has friends. Look beyond the rating. Many teachers and staff will tell you this school is purely focused on getting high test scores.

Posted February 26, 2015
I have been at Disney for 9 years (finally graduating this year), and I must say, these 9 years of my life have been absolute torture. First of all, No Walls. It is so hard to concentrate and to hear instruction from teachers and thats how I often do poorly on my tests/quizes. Second, most of the teachers are horrible and dont know what they're doing 99% of the time. It's ridiculous. And if you're gonna come to this school, at least come to the Gifted program because the regular classes are not challenged and are all dumb and are all misbehaved kids. This is expierence from me, a student in the gifted program, and having a sister, who is in a regular class and gets no homework and isnt motivated at all. Third of all, the rules are RIDICULOUS. We have to stay in a single file line and be quiet everywhere we go and im sick of it. We are told to be quiet every second, even recess! Also, during recess, we have to walk laps around the hallway, which is absolutely irritating. I use recess as a time to read or interact with my friends but they take this privilege away from me and everyone else.

Posted November 22, 2014
This is my daughter's first quarter at Walt Disney and so far the school has been absolutely great! She is on the Honor Roll and loves going to school every day. The student body is diverse and representative of the city. As a parent, I've had only positive interactions with her teachers as well as the administration. My daughter is being challenged on a daily basis; which is what a great school should do. She attended a small school beforehand and we found no problem with her transition. Good job Disney!

Walt Disney Magnet School 1

Posted October 20, 2014
School is very cruel Principal is a drill sergeant docent let kids go out front too Get picked up from the inside schools have many problems some teachers are very rude

Walt Disney Magnet School 1

Posted October 17, 2014
Principal is a drill sargent, she has no business working with children. Principal will not work with parents or teachers. It is her way or the highway. Principal has no understanding of children and early childhood development. Principal has a representation that proceeds her, when I bring up Disney Magnet School on Marine Drive, I have had CPS teachers, speech therapists, social workers, special education teachers, all complain about the Disney Magnet School principal. Teachers who work at Disney are under allot of stress, due to the principal. That is no way to work. If teachers are stressed and treated poorly by the principal,how do you expect them to have patience with children?

Posted October 16, 2014
Fell out of love with Disney. Tremendous emphasis on testing, and not much in the way of enrichment programs even though the school is well-funded. Other schools offer a diversity of before- and after-school activities. Now that school starts at 7:30 a.m., the students walk around in a haze. It's unfair to expect the same level of performance when kids are fatigued.

Walt Disney Magnet School 4

Posted June 27, 2014
I have one graduate student and one upcoming 5th grader . About the teachers , they are all gifted , very hard working and helpful except for a few (new) The principal knows how to run the school .I'm very impressed. 8 years have been awesome. The school offers lot of activities and I've been happy and looking forward for the coming years. Good luck Disney I gave you a child and you gave me a star back!

Posted June 25, 2014
I am disappointed with how this school has gone down hill. Had a child there who graduated and was considering enrolling our other child. Convinced my sister to transfer their children out of there. The principal is a drill sargent and only cares about money. If parents dont agree with her she will not work with you. If you are one of her puppets then she is your best friend! I am sorry I let my child stay there so long, but glad they are done. This school is not challenging the students to their fullest. There are some good teachers but the principal is the same way with her staff, do what she says and play by her rules or your out. Just ask some of the teachers who have challenged her. Good luck to future parents who enroll their children there for this school year.

Posted May 27, 2014
Both of our children graduated from Walt Disney Magnet School. Our experience was positive; the teachers were great and the administrative team was tough but fair. Our children thrived in the POD environment and loved having classmates from all over the world. Our children were recommended to the gifted program but we turned down the offers (We did not see the need for the extra work.) Our son was accepted to North Side College Prep and our daughter was accepted to Lane Tech. They are doing very well and have great memories about their grade school years.

Walt Disney Magnet School
4140 N Marine Dr, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Walt Disney Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walt Disney Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 78 reviews. Top