Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (4 responses)

Walt Disney Magnet School 5

Posted June 14, 2016
2015/ 2016 school yr is my daughter's first yr at Disney. What a wonderful school yr it has been. I was on the fence about sending her here bc of distance. It's the best desicion I could have made. I've read a lot of ratings & reviews from various sites & didn't know what to expect. Now I'm happy to share my thoughts & opinions. The principal runs a tight ship. This is fine in my opinion bc I like structure & feel kids need it. I've never had a problem, question, or concern that wasn't address in a timely manner. Also the school welcomes parents for trips, field day, & various other events/ activities. My daughter's classroom, music, dance (Ms. Smith), & Mandarin teachers are the best. Disney is so diverse that my daughter's Kindergarten class looks like a rainbow of children from everywhere. My daughter learn a lot academically but also from all the different cultures right in her classroom. The PTA is great & will help out in anyway possible. I have not 1 compliant. Hats off to the staff & principal. Job well done. I love this school. My daughter reads & does math on a 3rd grade level & she's only in kindergarten. Thanks Disney for a wonderful school yr!!!!

Posted May 24, 2016
I'm grateful to Mr. Szymanski, the accelerated class First Grade teacher. He's done a great job throughout this year of shepherding all of the kids into a love of reading and math, and a sense of wonder for the world around them. He's always been super responsive whenever I've had questions or concerns, and has translated those concerns to the entire class when appropriate.

Posted May 04, 2016
My daughter every day tolke about her teacher how hi teach them she's very happy and she's love to be a teacher like him .

Walt Disney Magnet School 3

Posted January 31, 2016
My son is in second grade at Disney and it's been a rough year . This is my son's second year at Disney and I am seriously considering and applying to other schools. First of all my son left kindergarten reading at fourth grade level and testing in the 99th percentile in reading standards and 89th percentile in math and he came to Disney and was not moved to the gifted classroom for first grade. My son is very active and a typical little boy and I'm guessing that is why . The school doesn't have any programs besides the occasional cac performance and awards assembly. The teachers focus more on discipline than they do teaching or learning the children ...My guess is because of the principal. They rarely ever go on field trips and the Parent -teacher communication is very poor ! If something happens in school I rarely ever hear about it from a teacher , I hear about it from my second grader . Part of the office staff are rude and unprofessional and a lot of the rules just don't make sense .. And again the communication with parents is horrible . My son was sick for an entire day just a few days ago and no one contacted me , he slept through a gym period and I wasn't contacted .. And he had a virus ! They don't seem to care about the children , that aren't the occasional "little grown person". They don't challenge children or use fun techniques . I honestly don't think they care .. They are not what they once were. I enjoy my sons reading teacher this year and I loved my sons first grade teacher , she was amazing ! I guess it's a better option than other Cps schools... However, they really need to fix so many things !!

Posted January 31, 2016
I would like to thank Ms. Brandt , she was a lovely teacher who really cared about her students and paid attention to them and their growth and Ms. Bedell .

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted January 31, 2016
The good teachers are great teachers and the ones who are not are not. It's all on the individual and how they choose to run their classroom.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted January 31, 2016
I haven't seen a school wide initiative to help students strive for excellence , with the exception of the gifted classes.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted January 31, 2016
This school practices fear in its students with the exception of some teachers. This is just in my experience.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted January 31, 2016
This school honestly doesn't do anything meaningful . They don't talk about feelings or have sharing or community exercises ..

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted January 31, 2016
There has been shaming that I have seen in this school by teachers and students.

4140 N Marine Dr, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Walt Disney Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.