Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,575
Before care: Yes

Walt Disney Magnet School 5

Posted November 22, 2014
This is my daughter's first quarter at Walt Disney and so far the school has been absolutely great! She is on the Honor Roll and loves going to school every day. The student body is diverse and representative of the city. As a parent, I've had only positive interactions with her teachers as well as the administration. My daughter is being challenged on a daily basis; which is what a great school should do. She attended a small school beforehand and we found no problem with her transition. Good job Disney!

Walt Disney Magnet School 1

Posted October 20, 2014
School is very cruel Principal is a drill sergeant docent let kids go out front too Get picked up from the inside schools have many problems some teachers are very rude

Walt Disney Magnet School 1

Posted October 17, 2014
Principal is a drill sargent, she has no business working with children. Principal will not work with parents or teachers. It is her way or the highway. Principal has no understanding of children and early childhood development. Principal has a representation that proceeds her, when I bring up Disney Magnet School on Marine Drive, I have had CPS teachers, speech therapists, social workers, special education teachers, all complain about the Disney Magnet School principal. Teachers who work at Disney are under allot of stress, due to the principal. That is no way to work. If teachers are stressed and treated poorly by the principal,how do you expect them to have patience with children?

Posted October 16, 2014
Fell out of love with Disney. Tremendous emphasis on testing, and not much in the way of enrichment programs even though the school is well-funded. Other schools offer a diversity of before- and after-school activities. Now that school starts at 7:30 a.m., the students walk around in a haze. It's unfair to expect the same level of performance when kids are fatigued.

Posted June 27, 2014
I have one graduate student and one upcoming 5th grader . About the teachers , they are all gifted , very hard working and helpful except for a few (new) The principal knows how to run the school .I'm very impressed. 8 years have been awesome. The school offers lot of activities and I've been happy and looking forward for the coming years. Good luck Disney I gave you a child and you gave me a star back!

Posted June 25, 2014
I am disappointed with how this school has gone down hill. Had a child there who graduated and was considering enrolling our other child. Convinced my sister to transfer their children out of there. The principal is a drill sargent and only cares about money. If parents dont agree with her she will not work with you. If you are one of her puppets then she is your best friend! I am sorry I let my child stay there so long, but glad they are done. This school is not challenging the students to their fullest. There are some good teachers but the principal is the same way with her staff, do what she says and play by her rules or your out. Just ask some of the teachers who have challenged her. Good luck to future parents who enroll their children there for this school year.

Walt Disney Magnet School 5

Posted May 27, 2014
Both of our children graduated from Walt Disney Magnet School. Our experience was positive; the teachers were great and the administrative team was tough but fair. Our children thrived in the POD environment and loved having classmates from all over the world. Our children were recommended to the gifted program but we turned down the offers (We did not see the need for the extra work.) Our son was accepted to North Side College Prep and our daughter was accepted to Lane Tech. They are doing very well and have great memories about their grade school years.

Posted April 28, 2014
The school is big and frantic but I think it prepares children for what big city life workforce is all about. The priniciple, although super tough, really does care about the kids. I guess you can't be too soft when you are running such a large school or it would probably be a disaster. They need to make improvements on how to properly and efficiently get the kids out to recess and anything else that involves free time. Also, like anywhere else, there are a few teachers who can use an attitude adjustment. One in particular, the art teacher. Very good school.

Posted February 18, 2014
My school is too noisy and too large. Not enough, none in fact, attention is given to processes involved in solving complicated math problems. Teachers have too much to do in a short amount of time. More teacher training is especially needed with language classes and math. Inexperienced instructors need more guidance. Parents are working overtime to make up for the deficiencies.

Posted February 08, 2014
This school has gone down the tubes. We've been there for 5 years and it used to be excellent. It just isn't the same this year. No recess, silent lunches, no running allowed on playground. I'm just sick of it. We have to move, I think. It's such a shame.

Walt Disney Magnet School
4140 N Marine Dr, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Walt Disney Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walt Disney Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 75 reviews. Top