Chicago, IL

Posted January 09, 2014
I worked at Dixon. My experience was so horrific that I still have anxiety about it. The administration at this school are some of the most mean-spirited people I've ever met. I never felt supported by them - in fact, at times, I actively felt like they were out to get me or trying to catch me doing something wrong so that they could yell at me. The students are made to walk in perfectly straight, quiet, lines all day - which, in my opinion, is a totally unrealistic expectation for middle schoolers. This hyper-sensitivity about noise in the hallways contributed to students acting out in the classroom for the mere fact that they had no other outlet. The system of discipline at Dixon is dysfunctional at best - it does not benefit or support the students in learning proper behavior and it frustrates and undermines teachers - making their jobs ten times harder. I was never happier than the day I walked out of Dixon Elementary for the last time and saw the place disappear in my rearview mirror for good. I found this school to be a TOXIC working and learning environment - certainly not a place I would send my children or recommend to others.

Posted November 06, 2013
I have to agree with the parents on this one. I have had encounters with the office staff and the principal and they are all very rude and unprofessional. I recently went to a parent meeting and the teachers were unprofessional and dry. If they look like this all day no wonder kids aren't interested in school. Based on my personal interactions, I really would like for my children to attend somewhere else.

Dixon Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2012
I worked at Dixon many years ago, and I found it was a very good school. I guess everyone has a different experience. Granted I can only speak for when I worked there more then 11yrs. ago.. Maybe times have really changed.

Dixon Elementary School 3

Posted May 28, 2010
Principal micro manages and discourages the freedom and creativity of teachers and staff. it would be nice if they kept the staff and faculty but improved upon the principal

Posted March 11, 2010
I find the office staff to be very rude. The other staff members are very uncooperative in communicating with the parents and helping provide help for the students.

Dixon Elementary School 0

Posted August 04, 2009
I really love this school for my son. The disciplinary action that the staff takes is so needed for these children with different types of nonparenting backgrounds. Another thing I love is when the children walk through the hall and don't speak, the staff makes them speak and have eye contact. There are also so many activities for the children.

Posted October 15, 2008
Dixon school provides my child with a principal & teachers who set high expectations; with numerous activities which enhance learning & social skills. The parents are also encouraged to get & stay involved. I am proud to say that my son (a First Grader) attends Dixon elementary.

Posted October 14, 2008
Dixon has provided my son, who is in Kindergarden, a safe environment that is conducive to learning. My family loves Dixon and their pricipal, who is always 'on it'!

Posted May 27, 2008
My son is a freshman now and he was in Dixon from first grade to eight grade. I love Dixon because they are strict and to me they care about the childrens education and well being.My son did not like the principle because she was strict on them and I like that. My daughter will be starting third grade at Dixon in the fall. The school that she is in now is horrible. They do not have art,music,sports,computer, or anything for them to do. I thank God for my child getting accepted into Dixon.

Posted May 02, 2008

Dixon Elementary School
8306 South Saint Lawrence Avenue, Chicago, IL  60619
Last modified Dixon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dixon Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top