Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Arthur Dixon Elementary School has scored as a LEVEL1+ school. The teachers, staff and administration places CHILDREN FIRST. The teachers and staff go above and beyond in everything they do - extra curricular activities e.g., Chess Club, Students Engaged In Engineering (S.E.E.), DOYLES Dance Troupe, Track & Field, Volleyball, Football, Spanish and numerous after school and Saturday School academic enrichment classes include a stellar art and music department. This is a rich, learning environment and is always engaged and open to innovative new practices to help children learn and develop a well-rounded student and citizen of the world.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The majority of the teachers are VERY EFFECTIVE. Those that are not motivated to push or provide rigorous lessons and don't put children first are the ones who tend to complain about the work load, and tend to leave.

Amount of homework: no rating

The school is departmental and homework varies with grades and teachers, therefore dependent upon the assignment given to reinforce what has been learned, don't know if it is always valid.

I worked at Dixon. My experience was so horrific that I still have anxiety about it. The administration at this school are some of the most mean-spirited people I've ever met. I never felt supported by them - in fact, at times, I actively felt like they were out to get me or trying to catch me doing something wrong so that they could yell at me. The students are made to walk in perfectly straight, quiet, lines all day - which, in my opinion, is a totally unrealistic expectation for middle schoolers. This hyper-sensitivity about noise in the hallways contributed to students acting out in the classroom for the mere fact that they had no other outlet. The system of discipline at Dixon is dysfunctional at best - it does not benefit or support the students in learning proper behavior and it frustrates and undermines teachers - making their jobs ten times harder. I was never happier than the day I walked out of Dixon Elementary for the last time and saw the place disappear in my rearview mirror for good. I found this school to be a TOXIC working and learning environment - certainly not a place I would send my children or recommend to others.

I have to agree with the parents on this one. I have had encounters with the office staff and the principal and they are all very rude and unprofessional. I recently went to a parent meeting and the teachers were unprofessional and dry. If they look like this all day no wonder kids aren't interested in school. Based on my personal interactions, I really would like for my children to attend somewhere else.

I worked at Dixon many years ago, and I found it was a very good school. I guess everyone has a different experience. Granted I can only speak for when I worked there more then 11yrs. ago.. Maybe times have really changed.

Principal micro manages and discourages the freedom and creativity of teachers and staff. it would be nice if they kept the staff and faculty but improved upon the principal

I find the office staff to be very rude. The other staff members are very uncooperative in communicating with the parents and helping provide help for the students.

I really love this school for my son. The disciplinary action that the staff takes is so needed for these children with different types of nonparenting backgrounds. Another thing I love is when the children walk through the hall and don't speak, the staff makes them speak and have eye contact. There are also so many activities for the children.

Dixon school provides my child with a principal & teachers who set high expectations; with numerous activities which enhance learning & social skills. The parents are also encouraged to get & stay involved. I am proud to say that my son (a First Grader) attends Dixon elementary.

Last modified Dixon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.